Help choosing new arrows - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Help choosing new arrows

I posted this over at archery talk, but I thought I would post it here as well. I'm looking for some help choosing some new arrows. I just got into archery last year, so I'm pretty new to this. I got a complete setup off my friend who's been bugging me get into archery for a while now. Of course, now I'm hooked. Currently I'm shooting Easton Axis 400 spine, 9.0 gpi, cut at 28", 28" draw length, 60lb draw, 100 grain practice tips and 100 grain muzzy broadheads. These arrows are great and helped me harvest my first deer ever this year. Booyah!

Anyways, the problem is I only have 6 total arrows and I would like to get more. I'm not looking to buy the best arrows out there. I seriously doubt my shooting would do them any justice. I would like my arrows to do double duty for me, practicing and deer hunting. I was looking at some Easton AfterMaths. Here's the specs: (Shafts Size: 400 Shaft Weight: 8.8 GPI Stock Length: 31 inches Pre-installed orange H Nocks Includes 2 in. Blazer Vanes Includes ST RPS Inserts High strength, reduced diameter carbon construction Straightness: +/- .005") . Since I'm not really sure what I'm doing I figured I could get some help here. I'm not shooting much past 30 yards yet since that is about the limit I would feel comfortable shooting a deer from. Not sure if that matters, but figured I'd throw that out there.

Any suggestions, ideas, or thoughts would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Re: Help choosing new arrows

I should mention I was told to download OnTarget, which I did, but I really have no idea how to fill out most of the info it is asking for. It has a free 5 day trial, so I now have 4 days left to use it. So if anyone has that and could give me a few pointers on how to use this thing, that would be great.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 08:46 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

On Target is an archery software package that can do a few things. One of which, it can make site tapes for movable pin/scope open setups. It can also help you determine which arrow is best spined for your bow, given your specific setup, based upon industry standards and equipment specs. Remember, this program (like Archers Advantage) will usually steer you toward a stiffer arrow than you may need, but that is not a bad thing when it comes to hunting arrows. I use Archers Advantage, so I can't give you any step by step work with On Target.

That being said, given your poundage, your draw length, and the arrow shaft length, you will probably spec out as being slightly stiff with a 400 spine shaft, but for hunting purposes, you will be just about right where you were with the Axis 400 arrows. The Aftermath arrow is the old Easton Epic St arrows. Same specs as those. The arrow is pretty durable, and I see that they come pre-fletched. Keep your shaft length at 28".

As you get into this more, you will find you can get better quality arrows cheaper if you slowly pick up a few essentials for arrow making. Get a good fletching jig, Bitzenberger or the Bohning Tower or a JoJan, then get a good arrow saw. Buying bear shafts and cutting your 28" out of the middle gives you the same consistency of straightness as buying the very high priced ones. Fletching you own gives you the satisfaction of knowing exactly how your arrow is put together, and you can duplicate this time and time again.

You are on the right track in asking for help. Lot of guys out here are more knowledgeable than I am and 99% of the guys in the "archery forum" will help you without trashing your setup.

Wishing I was at camp!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks hittingguru. I'm not at the level of building my own arrows, just yet. In fact I'm really just beginning. Trying to understand so many things like FOC, spine, and GPI.

As far as being slightly stiff with a 400 arrow, would you recommend a different spined arrow? Is there a different arrow other than the aftermath that you would recommend? I'm not really set on it at all, it's just one I found that seemed to fit my criteria which, I admit is pretty limited.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 01:36 AM
Frequent Contributor

You aren't too far from Cabelas in WVa, I have a friend that lives in Cecil. If you go there, I would seriously consider picking up some of their Stalker Extreme arrows, they are basically Beman ICS Hunter arrows, (Made in USA, made by Easton) They are very reasonably priced and tough as nails.

The more people that I meet, the more I love my dog
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 04:34 AM
Frequent Contributor

Why are you looking to make a switch from the Axis? If you wanna save a few $ and plan on shooting no more then 30 yards you can shoot the cheapest arrow as long as your spin is right.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 12:38 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

fragmag...I ran your set up using my bow through Archers Advantage- it came out pretty ideal for spine, little on the stiff end. The only reason to go to a 340 (or 330 by the new Easton charts) or 7595 Gold Tip, or stiffer is to get more weight in the arrow. Personally, I'm not a fan of the HIT technology. I like my insert at the end of the arrow where I can see it and know it is in the right place. Plus I add a heavier insert for more FOC.

For now--most 400 spined carbon arrows will work well for you at 28" and 100 gr tip.

NOW GO HAVE FUN

Wishing I was at camp!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

My intention wasn't to save money exactly. I just didn't think I needed to buy the most expensive arrow since I'm still pretty new to all this. The aftermath seemed to fit this bill, but honestly, it was a random choice of an arrow.

Thanks again guru. I think I'll stick with these 400 spined arrows and see what I can find.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Well I just ordered a half dozen Eaton Aftermath arrows. Thanks again for the advice.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittingguru
fragmag...I ran your set up using my bow through Archers Advantage- it came out pretty ideal for spine, little on the stiff end. The only reason to go to a 340 (or 330 by the new Easton charts) or 7595 Gold Tip, or stiffer is to get more weight in the arrow. Personally, I'm not a fan of the HIT technology. I like my insert at the end of the arrow where I can see it and know it is in the right place. Plus I add a heavier insert for more FOC.

For now--most 400 spined carbon arrows will work well for you at 28" and 100 gr tip.

NOW GO HAVE FUN
One more question for ya guru. If I change the draw weight will it affect which arrow sine I should be using? I am currently drawing 60# but am thinking about bumping it up to either 65# or maybe even #70.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page