The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

How do you treestanders carry your gear?

5K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  Gobblz N' Grunts 
#1 ·
One of my tree stands has just belt straps and when carried long distances the straps cut into my arms and/or constantly slip off my shoulders and make long hauls very uncomfortable.

I am looking at a Game Plan Gear transport system. Does anyone have any experience with this setup or have a better
setup?

Also I have been carrying my back pack attached to my tree stand for years. Is this what everyone else does?

#2 ·
I'm assuming your talking about a hang on stand. I bought a set of the cabelas backpack straps (around $20) and depending on what I pack in, (heater body suit, extra layers, bookbag, ect...) I use cinch straps similiar to the one pictured here at the bottom http://www.motorcyclejacks.com/straps.shtml to attach my gear to the stand. Best and cheapest way I've found to pack in gear with the stand.

#3 ·
It is a climber. I don't like anything metal which can cause a "Clang." I am referencing the shoulder straps which cut into the front of my shoulders any/or slip off my shoulders while walking. I have used the ratch type straps as you mention to afix my climbers to the tree. I use the plastic buckle straps to hold my seat and foot platform together as well as attaching my back pack quite, cheap, strong and light weight. My gear just does not feel comfortable and positioned right for the long trips. (Or maybe it is my senior body??) Hoping for some ideas.

#5 ·
Get your self an old frame back, one they use to haul game out on. Mine actually has a little shelf on it. Anyway the frame has the shoulder straps and belly belt already on it and they are positioned to be comfortable. All you have to do is is strap your climber to it. If you have a long walk you want to be as comfortable as possible and not worn out from struggling with straps. It may take longer to put everything together, but take it from an ex-grunt that a comfortable pack makes a heck of difference. Look on ebay for old frame packs.

#11 ·
Get yourself some padded straps and attach them both to the middle of the stand at the top (I tie wrap mine together so they don't slide apart) and at the bottom, attach them out near each edge. You shouldn't have any trouble with those straps sliding off your shoulders.

#12 ·
I see several problems.

First, I've been carrying supplies in a day pack that goes with the tree stand climber, for some twenty years. Both are carried in and out of the woods, every hunting day.

Long before hunting season, I worked out carrying the tree stand in the back yard. Better I found, to field test the tree stand before I needed it for hunting. The day pack is tied to the tree stand and put on my back, too.

To secure the two part climbing tree stand, I bought these small bungie cords from an auto store. Use two to tighten up my tree stand. They were big enough to just hold the two metal parts together.

I bought two inexpensive rifle sling straps for a tighter carry. These slings could work on a rifle or shotgun, but are not "made" for $900 rifles.

Two cushions, which I rehabed and came with the stand are repositioned to my "******" back.

The unknown factor. Getting in shape to carry a plus 20 lb. tree stand, a 10 lb. day pack, and a rifle or bow. With my rifle I estimate I'm carrying some 40 extra pounds. Add this to any excess pounds on your carcass, we're talking about some weight. Think ****** instead of hunter.

Practicing with the items before the season, may start to motivate you to walk every week and lift some some light weights. A hunter isn't suppose to be a couch potato. I'm afraid some think they can be.

Now out for my mile and a half hike.

#15 ·
I have a Summit Viper.I bought Molle II military surplus straps- new with kidney belt attachment and mounted it all to my climber.Then I take my pack and hang it over the top of the teeth of my climber when I walk or I have a cheap carabiner that I leave on the handle of my pack that I clip to the (I modified) rubber foot straps (I bought from x-1 tree stands) to replace my plastic summer foot "horns"...
I'll hang my umbrella or anything else on it if needed.it shares the weight on your shoulders,hips and has another strap for your chest to keep the pads from coming apart.
Cost 15-20$ on ebay and will just about any stand.
I also did my wife's stand.I have a bunch of pics here: MolleII CLICK

#19 ·
My wife uses it- it is her stand. I really like it- it only weighs 11 lbs. Like you aren't carrying anything. vs my Summit.
My next one will be the X stand.Quiet, comes apart easy, nests well and light. The only improvement I would suggest is a better padded seat which should be easy to change.I used the foot stirrups off of another X-stand that we bought for the Viper.It is a big improvement also( the stirrups from the x stand).

#20 ·
mus42tang said:
I see several problems.

With my rifle I estimate I'm carrying some 40 extra pounds. Add this to any excess pounds on your carcass, we're talking about some weight. Think ****** instead of hunter.
I am carrying an extra 40 without my rifle.

At 56, still gettin' 'er done, but you got me thinkin' how much easier it would be without the 40.

#21 ·
Born2Hunt said:
One of my tree stands has just belt straps and when carried long distances the straps cut into my arms and/or constantly slip off my shoulders and make long hauls very uncomfortable.

I am looking at a Game Plan Gear transport system. Does anyone have any experience with this setup or have a better
setup?

Also I have been carrying my back pack attached to my tree stand for years. Is this what everyone else does?
I have a Summit Goliath.

I go as light as I can. I only take what I know I am going to need. I have a pack in my truck with all my guttin'/draggin/ stuff in it. If I shoot one, I pack my bow and pack out and go back with my pack for the deer.

I also have one of the TSS vests with pockets. I get most of my stuff in those pockets and what I don't, I put in a little bag Summit sells that attach to the stand. Working out really good.

Wouldn't recommend the Summit bag though, they are cheaply made for the price.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.