Product Reviw: SG Guide Gear XL Hang on Tree Stand - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Product Reviw: SG Guide Gear XL Hang on Tree Stand

I just got 2 of these today, had a chance to go over all of it, thought I'd share my first impressions.

Ordered these originally in early December, and was told they were on back order till 1/23/14. Then got an email that they were scheduled to ship on 1/8/14, then got another email indicating they shipped on 12/31/13, so my first impression is that Sportsman's Guide is pretty good at updating shipping as they receive stock.

General construction/size: This stand is huge compared to my other stands. The platform is 30"x36", with a built in foot rest. Wire mesh grate on the entire platform as well as the seat area. Seat size is bigger than most, and in proportion to stand. Surprisingly it's not as heavy as I would anticipate given the size. Rated for 300#, main steel structures are rugged and seem to hold well. Will have a better indication when I get it up on a tree.

Stand came with 2 ratchet straps that have the loops for attaching it to the stand. Also came with a backpack strap (which I won't be using), and the usual 4 point fall arrest harness.

The seat is only 1" thick foam, and doesn't look like it will be sufficient for long sits, but it is cheap enough to leave it on the stand to make up for those times I forget my good seat for the long sits.

Only other negative--all the nuts were only hand tightened on, so it's not user ready out of the box. Given the nature of the structure, I check these anyway before I use them.

Overall, big stand, good price, fast service.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=681074

Wishing I was at camp!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 11:37 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Product Reviw: SG Guide Gear XL Hang on Tree Stand

Sounds decent.

How thick is the grating? I checked out a Millenium and I could feel it flex under me when I stood on the grates (170lb)

I'm used to my Lone Wolf but looking for something I can leave out and not break the bank if it walks.

Thanks!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 04:46 AM

Thats a big stand. I got two with larger sized platforms last year and what a difference it makes for comfort and moving about to get into position. What kind of seat do you pack in with you for use with hang on's during long sits? Ive got a couple with seats like you mentioned that have been driving me nuts the post couple years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have a 3" thick seat from one of the older Ameristep Grizzly stands. It fits all my lock ons, but I don't think it will fit this one. May have to make something because the seat on this stand is 23" wide!!

Wishing I was at camp!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 10:15 AM

Back in early November I needed an additional stand. I headed to a local Dunhams and ended up buying a Big Game Boss XL. It has an oversized platform, foot rest, and larger seat, similar to the one you detail. At that time I believe regular price was 89.99 and I paid 74.99 on sale. Being used to hunting out of much smaller and cheaper platforms, the Boss XL was a dream to hunt out of and I swore I'd keep and eye out for the end of year clearence.
Just toward the end of rifle season I was leafing through a Dunhams sale flyer and the Boss XL was priced down to 59.99, I promptly went and bought 4 more. They are very sturdy, assembly takes about 10 minutes, and very comfortable to hunt from. Might be another stand to consider for you guys. After using it, I'll never go back to the smaller platforms.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page