Camo- scentlok, under armour and scent blocker - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Camo- scentlok, under armour and scent blocker

This is my first year back in the hunting game and I sure have missed it. As you can imagine, coming back from a 10 year break many many things have changed and improved! I am a bit overwhelmed!
My main question is this scent control clothing. Scentlok, under armour and scent blocker. Does this stuff really work? Ozonics, does that really work? If anyone uses these please share your experiences.
Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 04:11 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Camo- scentlok, under armour and scent blocker

I cannot speak for the ozonics contraption. However I can for the scent control clothing, I own a scent blocker suit and I just recently purchased an Under Armour Infared suit. You still have to play your cards right with the wind but I do believe in the scent eliminating clothing. Out of the scent blocker and under armour suits that I own, I like the under armour suit a lot more. Its warmer and just "fits" me better.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 04:12 PM

Google "scent lock law suit" and make your mind up for yourself. I use scent lock but don't believe it helps even the slightest. Scent lock or scent blocker (etc.) make quality hunting clothing that can be bought for a fraction of list price during the late winter or early spring.

Don't know a thing about Ozonics besides it costs a lot of $$$. Every year its something new.

You could just spend $3 at Walmart and buy a wind detector (puffy bottle) and save yourself a couple of thousand.

2B, 2A, South East NE, Jefferson National Forest VA
'Pinnin Ain't Easy' 'TR' East Ohio

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 06:28 PM
The Man

It doesn't work, unless your in a zip lock bag, if the deer is in your wind chances are its going to smell you. Hunt the wind!

Founder and Proud Member Potter County Hunting Stinks Club
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 09:42 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I use Scent-lok, I believe it helps, but only if you follow instructions and also do all the other things you can to reduce your odor.

I've watched deer walk directly down wind of me and not show any indication that they winded me.

Only fools fight in a burning house...Day of the dove
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 11:59 AM
The Man

Ive killed bucks that walked directly into my wind without wearing any kind of scent loc. Years ago when it first came out, I had a $100 bet that if you stuck a pheasant wing under your scent loc jacket my bird dog would still find you, sadly no one ever took me up on that bet.

Founder and Proud Member Potter County Hunting Stinks Club
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 01:14 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

No arguement Ghost, just giving the OP what they wanted my opinion and my expirence.

I wouldn't take that bet either, we all know that nothing short of total containment can prevent odor from escaping.

Another expirence I had this year was the first day I went archery hunting I forgot me facemask. I was up in my treestand watching 4 doe walking in my direction as they came to about ten yards the oldest doe stoped and looked right at me I don't know if she saw my face or my fletching shining in the sun, anyway long story short She didn't know what I was and did all the usual stuff like stomping, looking away then quickly looking back etc. then she made a wide circle around my stand trying to wind me and eventually walked away with the others.

My opinion on Scent-Lok and similar products is that they help. I watched one young buck snif the air as if he winded me, my theory is that maybe he thought that I was further away than I actually was because he just continued about his business.

I may be wrong, maybe a older buck wouldn't be as easy to fool, but I don't give them enough time to find out, LOL!

Only fools fight in a burning house...Day of the dove
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 01:43 PM
Regular Visitor

Hunt the wind.....I wear silvermax base and I know it works because after 3 days at camp I can't smell myself !!!!...I leave it on for me !!

However, it doesn't get rid of the bacon smell, or the fireplace smell or any other odorous molecules.

HUNT THE WIND
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 01:43 PM

Though I still hunt the wind, I use UA Dead Calm scent control and I believe it helps. I have had deer come in straight downwind from places I didn't expect them. That never happened with my "regular" gear. I know they are not 100% and that is why I still watch the wind and plan sites accordingly. But the few times deer have sneaked up behind me I did not get scented like in the past. Coincidence probably, but for now I have confidence in it.

Wear what you like and don't judge others for what they wear or gear they choose to use. Advice more archers could heed and one that took me a long time to learn.

-Bowhunter

Coop
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvHunter
Hunt the wind.....I wear silvermax base and I know it works because after 3 days at camp I can't smell myself !!!!...I leave it on for me !!

However, it doesn't get rid of the bacon smell, or the fireplace smell or any other odorous molecules.

HUNT THE WIND
What is silver max?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page