going back to fixed broadheads? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

going back to fixed broadheads?

I have been archery hunting for about 7 years now. I started out with Muzzy fixed blade broadheads, but about 3 years ago, a buddy talked me into using Rage mechanical broadheads. I can't really complain about the performance of the Rage. I have taken buck the last two years and the Rage did a great job, but I am considering going back to the fixed broadheads. Three years ago I shot at a buck and hit it, but it wasn't a lethal hit. It felt like a good shot when it left the bow, but I wonder if it hit a branch or shrub on the way it. I was thinking that if the mechanical hit a branch, it could partially open and change the aerodynamics of the arrow. Also, I have read some articles and threads where people thought the mechanical broadheads failed to open properly and didn't pass through the deer in a straight line. Has anyone used both and came to a conclusion that one was better than the other? Does anyone use mechanical if they are hunting in open woods and fixed if they are hunting in thicker brush? I can't say I have a ton of experience with both so I'm wondering what others think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 11:48 PM
Regular Visitor

Re: going back to fixed broadheads?

I use the g5 t3 to hunt fields and g5 strikers when I hunt thick woods.

My house is protected by the good Lord and a gun.
post #3 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 11:59 PM
Sage

I've used both. I had a bad experience with the Rocket mechanical and never went back to mechanicals. I shoot Slick Tricks fixed blades exclusively and unless something changes, I'll never shoot another fixed broad head or mechanical, I trust them that much.

Where have you been? I had to work late... Oh these? Yeah, it was 'camo day' at work again .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 12:10 AM

Shooting through brush with either head type will yield the same poor results. I've shot Rage 2 blades open and partially open just for kicks, and I never saw any changes to the point of impact regardless of blade position.

Maybe try trimming some shooting lanes and shoot whatever broadhead you have the most confidence in.
post #5 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 12:11 AM

No need to shoot a mechanical when a fixed blade fly's the same as a field point and has MUCH better penetration.
post #6 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 12:19 AM
Banned

On deer, I would feel comfortable using either, the only caveat being that your bow should be fairly fast if using mechanicals...

On BIG game like elk and moose, I would prefer fixed broadheads, but that's just me. I am just a little leery of hitting bone with a mechanical on an animal that size.

BTW, I have only ever used fixed, Thuderheads and now G5 Montecs. Never had a problem with either.
post #7 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 12:34 AM
Frequent Contributor

With the high quality fixed broad heads there is no reason to use mechanicals where chance for a mishap is more likely . I have used both over my long time archery hunting and because of a few mishaps I now used only use fixed blades . Just saying
post #8 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 12:36 AM

I shoot slick tricks and have found them to be very effective.
They hit the same as field points so no reason to add anything mechanical to the mix

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog!
If it's locked up and put away - Your NOT safe!
post #9 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 12:55 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'm not going to get into a mechanical vs. fixed broadhead debate with the following information. I'm also not going to product push or persuade you to go with any particular make or model of broadhead, I'm simply going to give you some insightful information that will hopefully allow you to make an informed decision on what broadhead to choose. Here goes.

Much like anything else, when it comes to selecting a broadhead, first determine what species of animals you're going to be hunting with it. Secondly, determine what characteristics are most important to you (Sharpness, durability, cutting diameter, etc.) and how they match up to your particular bow set-up. (For example, if you have low KE, you don't want a huge expandable broadhead).

I've been a bowhunter for 10 years, and out of those 10 years, I've used mechanical broadheads for 8 of those years. I started out with Rocket Wolverines for 6 years which were the Over the top expandables then I went to Rocky Mountain Snypers, which were slip-cam expendables for 2 years.

After dealing with rubber bands and tinkering around with mechanicals for years, I wasn't happy with them anymore. I wanted to find the "Perfect Broadhead" that I could use on virtually any game animal. So in the summer of 2011, a friend and I started buying and testing out all kinds of broadheads, looking for ones that offered us everything we were looking for.

This is what we come up with;

<span style="color: #CC0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">In the G5 Broadhead line-up:</span></span>
These broadheads are manufactured using metal pellets that are melted down and poured into molds to improve density. There are 2 problems with that, 1.) High density means they're more susceptible to breaking than bending (Both are bad, but I would rather something bend and still be on my arrow vs. breaking off completely) and 2.) tiny air bubbles that may form inside of the mold will cause structural weakness.

What we found to be a huge problem with the G5 broadheads is they have a design flaw. Where the main body of the broadhead joins with the screw-in threads, that area of the broadhead is super thin. When your broadhead is screwed on, the insert is positioned directly overtop of this weak area and it will break very easily. This happened to my friend and I on deer during the 2011 hunting season.

<span style="color: #CC0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">Rage Broadheads:</span></span>

These broadheads are the rave with bowhunters and are either loved or hated, there is no middle ground. In my opinion, there are a lot of design flaws with the Rages. Those are, 1.) The main body of the broadhead is thick and that will impede penetration due to drag. 2.) The blades are long and thin. (Think about how much leverage and torque you can apply to something that is long and thin vs. something that is short and thick! Long and skinny means blades break, bend and deform because more toque and leverage can be applied to them. If your blades break and deform, you no longer have a functional broadhead!) 3.) To big of a cutting diameter. Most peoples bows really don't have the gusto to push 2"+ of cutting diameter through an animal and if you're only getting one entry hole in an animal and you're hunting from a treestand, the entry hole is going to be high on the body and a poor blood trail follows due to lack of a pass through and the subsequent 2nd hole lower in the body cavity.

<span style="color: #CC0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">Thunderheads and Magnus:</span></span>
The only problem I had with Thunderheads are blade retention. Sometimes when I would have the broadhead screwed on my arrow, 1 or more of the blades had a wiggle to it and I was nervous I would loose a blade.

Magnus broadheads, the blades were held onto the furrel of the broadhead via a screw. If the screw got loose, your blades could shift causing erratic arrow flight. They added length to the overall arrow and both Magnus and Thunderheads didn't supply me with enough cutting diameter.

<span style="color: #CC0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">Rocket Broadheads:</span></span>
I wanted to move away from over the top expandable broadheads. I deem that as 'dead technology' nowadays. Again, long narrow blades that were often dull was a huge deal breaker with me. I used them for the first 6 years of my bowhunting career, but I was new and didn't really know to much or give much thought into things like I do now.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Personally, the main reason why I moved to a fixed blade broadhead is because I didn't feel there was a mechanical broadhead on the market today, that was reliable, sharp, bombproof and could be used on a slew of different game animals. Simply put, I had/have no confidence in any mechanical broadhead on the market today. </span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Which brings me to the "Heavy Weights". The broadheads with a huge following because they simply perform.</span>

<span style="color: #CC0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">Slick Tricks and QAD Exodus</span></span>

The Tricks and Exodus broadheads are, in my eyes, Perfection! Both designs are excellent for a wide range of game animals and both are fabulous in just about every category the savvy bowhunter is concerned with.

The Exodus and Tricks offer cutting diameters in the 1 1/4" cutting diameter range (Give or take 1/8" to 1/4" depending on model). Personally, I feel a broadhead between 1 1/4" and 1 3/4" cutting diameter offers the perfect blend of cutting diameter without sacrificing penetration.

Both the Exodus and Tricks come from the package razor sharp, fly extremely well from tuned bows and losing a blade isn't a concern with the way their blades are retained. It's nearly impossible to lose a blade due to blade retention (You can break one on bone or rock upon pass-through, but having one come loose isn't going to happen.)

There is a reason why the Slick Tricks and QAD Exodus have the following they do in the bowhunting world, and that's because these two heads, are without question, the real deal when it comes to putting critters on the ground. If you want to bowhunt deer with them, they fit the bill. If you decide to go bowhunt Moose someday, they'll fit the bill there too. I hunt a variety of game animals and I don't want to swap out my broadhead if I want to go somewhere to hunt. I know the Exodus or Tricks will do the job on just about anything.

The blades are short and thick, meaning torque and leverage cannot be applied to them as easily as long and narrow blades. That means breaking, bending and deforming is LESS LIKELY to occur. I've put 1 single Exodus through a black bear in New Brunswick, a doe last year here in PA and VERTICALLY though a does spine this year at 3 steps from my tree, and that head still looks like I just pulled it from the package. I sharpen the blades on my Gatco sharpener, and put it back into the quiver.

Hopefully, that gave you some insight and thigs to look for or consider the next time you go to purchase a pack of broadheads. Look at anything and everything with a skeptical eye and you can quickly begin to see what the real deals are.

<span style="font-weight: bold">In conclusion, these are the main points when considering a broadhead;</span>

1.) What game animal am I going to use it on. Some require tough heads, others (such as turkey) require large cutting expendables. Match the gear to the game.

2.) Blade Retention- Are the blades loose when I tighten the head onto my arrow? How are they retained? Can I loose one easily?

3.) Blade Sharpness- Self explanatory.

4.) Blade shape and design- Are these likely to bend, break or deform when torque and leverage are applied to them?

5.) Flight Characteristics- How well do they fly at EXTENDED RANGES. (Always shoot longer than you normally would when testing broadheads, the longer the shot, the greater the chance an error will expose itself.)

6.) Get the perfect blend of cutting diameter and penetration that your bow can handle. If it don't penetrate, who cares how big it cuts? Remember, that single entry hole will be high on the animals body if the arrow comes from a treestand!

7.) The 'Tinkering' Factor- If I have to look at my broadhead in the moment of truth to make sure a blade isn't prematurely deployed or If I'm worrying about it opening in flight and throwing my shot, it has no place in my quiver. Bowhunting is full of variables as it is, Im not going to introduce one into the equation. Especially in the area of broadheads because that means all the scouting, hard work, money, time and effort is about to payoff, my broadhead, the most important part of the equation shouldn't be the Achilles heel. Me executing the shot I worked so hard to get should be the only determining factor in success or failure, not a broadhead throwing my shot or worse, costing me an opportunity to shoot altogether due to a malfunction in the heat of the moment.

8.) If you remember anything, remember K.I.S.S.. That stands for, Keep.It.Simple.Stupid.

PS. As for mechanical broadheads go, My friend uses the NAP Killzone expandable broadheads. He put one through the shoulder blade of a buck last year and that head wasn't damaged at all. It was impressive! If for some reason I quit using QAD Exodus (Isn't going to happen, but if it did) I would probably shoot the NAP Killzones. They are pretty legit from what I seen my friend do with them.)

I often wonder,Why do people get mad, when you tell them the truth?

"You can't fix stupid!"
post #10 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 01:06 AM
The Man

Holy smokes,I can,t read a post that long.Go with fixed with no movin parts and problems.Archery has already had to much gimmick crap added to it over the years.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page