The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Matthews Helim question

655 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Take Em Down 
#1 ·
Some history first. I've been hunting archery for 35 years, this is my 4th bow. My last bow was 15-18 yrs old, I lost track. Bows have come a long way in 15 years, I was lost when trying to decide what bow to buy. I bought a Helim new at a local dealer. From the start I thought a 29" draw length was to short for me.
The dealer told me I'm old school and this is how the new bows are. I didn't know any better, bought the bow and thought I'd get used to it. Fast forward to now, after two seasons I regret not listening to my gut. I think a 30" would fit me better. When I draw the bow I feel I'm not getting my elbow back all the way. At a 3D shoot last year a guy in my group commented it doesn't look right for me.I'm dissappointed in the bow shop and myself. I plan to take it back to them and explain the situation. Do you think I'd be wrong to expect the shop to make it right after all this time (assuming it is wrong)? I don't want the guy to tell me it fits me fine when I'm pretty sure it's not right. Bottom line, I'm not happy with it.

#2 ·
After two years it's probably not reasonable to expect them to do anything on the bow for free. You can get a new cam put on to make it longer. However, first, you could try a couple of things to see if you really think the draw length will make a difference:
1) Are you using a loop on the string? If so, put one one that is a little longer. Can probably get at least an extra 1/4-1/2" doing that.
2) Is your release adjustable? My Scott Sabertooth is adjustable and you could also make that a bit longer.

The two together you could effectively probably add about an inch of draw length and see how it feels. It could very well be that the draw length is OK and you just don't like the bow (or that even with a longer draw you won't like the bow). When I was shopping for a new bow 2 years ago I didn't love the Helim and got the Z7 extreme instead…just a personal preference.

#3 ·
Alot determines your draw length, anchor point is a biggie. Going from a very old, and probably long ATA, to a shorter modern bow will make the string angle more acute at full draw and the string will cross your face at a different spot than with your old bow assuming the anchor remains the same. Maybe get a used 30" or even 29 1/2" cam on ebay? At our shop the owner used to give a trade allowance if the old cam was in good condition.

#4 ·
Unfortunately, many "pros" at the archery shops aren't pros. It sounds as though you need to anchor farther back. Sylvius's advice should work if you don't want to invest in a cam change. My anchor point is such that I draw back and get my back muscles into it, my elbow, and thus forearm, are inline with the plane of the arrow. At this point, my index finger touches my face just under the cheek bone about an inch in front of my ear lobe. Very consistent, very comfortable. I have a Hoyt with a 28" cam and it works out great. If I needed either a longer or shorter draw I would make the adjustments as Sylvius mentioned, not run out and spend money.

#5 ·
I do have a loop on the string, I will look into having a longer one installed. I use a Tru Fire Hybrid release which I adjusted as far as it would go.
Turkeyman, I understand your anchor point and description of how your forearm is in line with the arrow. My arm isn't in line, almost but not quite. Thats why it feels uncomfortable. The thing I've really grown to disslike about this bow is the lack of valley before hitting the back wall. When at full draw, if I relax just alittle it wants to rip my shoulder out. Practicing at home I sometimes hold full draw just to see how long I can comfortably hold and shoot accuratley. I think if the bow fit me better I'd be using more back muscle when at full draw making it easier to hold for extended periods, like when the buck won't take the final step into my shooting lane!
One way or another I have to get this fixed. I actually went on Ebay last night to see what the bow is selling for. For someone who doesn't buy a new bow very often, it seems strange I'm contemplating it.
Thanks for all the advice.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.