Need Help with Climber - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Need Help with Climber

I have only ever owned one climber, brand Hunters View. I have had this climber for 12 years. It climbs great and sticks to the tree well. Seat is falling apart and I left it outside a couple seasons and it got weathered so I bought a new climber, API Crusader.

New stand looks fine and all, but when I climb it is a completely different feel, and I don't feel safe. It doesn't grip the tree worth a crap and it wobbles. It doesn't seem to want to get firm at all. One little tap and the thing slides down the tree. If I don't have my feet firmly placed evenly on both sides, it wants to wobble. Is this normal? My other stand was rock solid and I would have to jerk on it to break it loose from the tree and it never wobbled.

One thought I have is........the first and last tooth on both sides of both the top and bottom are flat, not pointed. My thoughts are that this is not allowing the pointed teeth to sink into the tree. I thought about grinding them to a point so they dig in.

Any thoughts? Is this normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Need Help with Climber

I think after posting this I answered my own question. The "jaws" are completely different.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 01:46 PM

IMO, the jaws are only half the issue. Those smooth, round cables are absolutely useless as far as grip. The cable circling the tree should provide grip as well. That's why I love my LW...I could dance the macarena without it moving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 03:25 PM
The Man

I have no issues with my summit after getting used to it. When I am setting up in the stand. I shift my weight left and right and it really bites in the tree.

Are you keeping a good enough angle on your plat form and the tree. I feel this is important with these cable type climbers. You want the cable to be angled when wrapped around the tree at the same angle of where they come from. If they are parralell with the platform it wont grip as well.

I also found that sit and climb climbing helps dig the seat section into the tree better. When you get to your desired height, sit on the bar, IF present and shift left and right a little bit. Should help dig those teeth in.

I also don't like to climb trees where only the outside teeth bit the tree. I like a tree that I can get about 3-4 teeth into the bark to feel safe.

Hope that helps.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 05:36 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

That's the first I've seen the Crusader up close. I have seen pictures and it's definitely a different design than my API Grandslam. At first glance, I would say that the slight angle of the teeth as compared to the Hunter's View is the problem.
My Grandslam does not even think about slipping on any kind of tree in any condition and does not move, rock or sway even the slightest bit.
Bottom line is, I would not ever hunt out of a stand that I did not have complete confidence in.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeyman
IMO, the jaws are only half the issue. Those smooth, round cables are absolutely useless as far as grip. The cable circling the tree should provide grip as well. That's why I love my LW...I could dance the macarena without it moving.
The gray stand with the smooth round cables is my old climber.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I'm pretty sure I figured out the problem. If you look at the picture above, the flat teeth on the ends do not allow the sharp ones in the middle to bite into the tree. I did some testing this morning, because of the shape of the tree the flats on the one side did not make contact with the tree but the pointed did. The other side the flats were not allowing the points to dig in. The side with the flats touching would wobble very easily and the side with the teeth into the the tree did not.

Therefore, I am going to take a dremel and delicately grind the flat teeth to a point so they will dig into the tree allowing it to bite.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page