Full, in depth Rack Packer Review(10/19 update) - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Full, in depth Rack Packer Review(10/19 update)

Hello all. A while back member shootbowtech, ran a contest to name his hunting cart product. he liked my name suggestion, and sent me a rack packer for free. It arrived at my house and figured I would put up a full review for you all to check out. I will go over my impression on the product from, when it first arrived, to when I got to test it out on a friends deer.

First impression:

I was on my way out to go hunting with my friend when the UPS truck pulls in. It was my rack packer. I grabbed the box and had to set it in the garage until we got back from the hunt. the box was high quality thick cardboard, with the rack packer logo and such on the box. Box was packaged very well and no damage to the package. The attention to detail and packaging was impressive to me, and not some fly by night job. Very legit, and official looking.

When I came back from the hunt I decided that I would put it together after I put my son to bed. All of the parts where easy to establish and the instructions were simple to follow. I am not a man of great mechanical ability but put it together in less than a half an hour. Not many tools were needed, a few sockets, and a crescent wrench were all that were needed. I am not that good with straps, so this is where most of my time was spent.

All of the parts to this product were quality. The craftsmanship on the welds is also very good. No cheap components were found with my model.

I folded it up and set it with my other hunting gear for the next day. My friend picked me up and we were off to his brothers. His brother had his own deer cart, a standard wheel barrow type. This cart took up a ton of room in the bed of his truck, an extended cab ford f-150 with 4 doors and the smaller bed. There were also 2 climbers and a lonewolf hang on with sticks, multiple book bags, and a bow case. The rack packer slipped in right on top of the other climbers, and hardly took up any room. The rack packer also can fit between the seats of my car for a solo hunt. I can see this as a great item to have on longer trips where a lot of gear is needed. Its compactness really shines on this aspect. I think it would be a perfect, room saving item to add on any trip.

The morning hunt was unproductive and I opted out of the evening hunt. My buddy shot a nice doe in the evening and I set out to help the with the recovery and try out my rack packer first hand. I found my friends about a mile back in hill country. I met them up on a ridge, and decided I would help drag to put the rack packer to the test.

Here is a photo of all of us back at the truck, notice no sweat or anything on me, ugly guy on the right.

Here is a photo of the size of the doe, a solid 120 ish doe, I am guessing min 1.5 years old and 2.5 year old max.

We had unstrapped her just before I snapped the photo, however, this is not how you strap the deer to the cart. You fold her legs in and keep the deer's legs tight to the cart.

Operation/Functionality:

I started the down hill drag in a very thick section of woods, with many brush piles around. I could easily stop the drag and use the single wheel to pivot through the brush piles. You have a full 360 degrees of motion to spin to navigate around obstacles. A traditional cart would not be able to keep up with the speed of this function. You would have to go back and fourth to get the cart to spins and negotiate obstacles. This was one of the best features of the rack packer.

The rack packer also keeps the load uniform and in place. It was very stable and I never had any tipping issues, even on the steep terrain. Once at the bottom of the steep terrain we hit and old tram road and level ground. This is where the rack packer really shined. I must add that I was also carrying a small handheld flashlight in my hand at the same time.

Negotiating logs that are off the ground was not very hard as well. If the rack packer would stop on a log, I could simply back up, and give it a little more force and it would pop right up over the log. The straps kept the doe In place and her legs were not getting hung up on any trees to the right or left of me as well. I took on some larger diameter logs, and multiple logs that were stacked and had no real issues, I simple added a bit more force when approaching these items. The rack packer did slide on a few logs, but a simple lowering one arm, would stop this and make the wheel roll up on top of the log.

I was able to get through a few steep cuts, and creeks as well without any issue. We did go through a swampy, boggy, spot and I did not notice any slow down in the drag. One of the straps did come loose but that was due to me not having it assembled correctly. I also went through some rocky spots. I pulled the rack packer tight against my body, and would bump it right along.

When we reached the end of the trail, I was not winded, and barley broke a sweat, even with the mile long drag. I can see this very beneficial for anyone with blood pressure or any heart conditions. Getting the doe in the truck was a breeze. My friend grabbed the handles, and his brother and I each grabbed a side. We lifted her up and rolled her right in. I believe that this is also a great feature that is not shown on the website. A solo hunter could pull the rack packer up to the wheel and set it on the tail gate, and let the handles rest on the ground. The hunter could then walk to the back of the rack packer, grab the handles, and roll the deer right into the truck. I wish I would have attempted this on my own, but in the excitement of the harvest we did not think of it. I think that this will be a great option for solo hunters who try to load a 150+ pound deer into their truck. With conventional dragging/loading methods the deer would be flopping all over and be getting caught on the tailgate, and other obstacles, with the rack packer everything is secure, and load is much more manageable being uniform and strapped in.

When we got her back to the house for butchering, it was also great to see no debris at all on any of the meat or inside of the chest cavity. No leaves, sticks, or dirt at all was present. This is another great feature of this product. This debris can hold bacteria, and can increase the risk of spoiling meat.

All in all I believe this is an outstanding product. I feel it is suited best for a solo hunter, who likes to hunt deep in the woods away from others, but also can see real benefits for anyone with a heart condition or blood pressure issues. I plan to leave mine in the car during archery season, but pack it in and strap my book bag to it in rifle. I will take my tree stand and other supplies back to the car, and bring the rack packer in by itself. My friend had strapped his bow to the rack packer and it held tight, and never came loose, upon my arrival we decided to carry it out by hand, but it would be possible, to drag the deer, your tree stand, and strap your bow to the cart.

Summary:

Pros:
extremely maneuverable
light weight, easy to pack into downed game
takes up little room in a vehicle
easy to get the deer into a vehicle
quality construction
easy to strap deer to cart
very sturdy, did not overturn once
keeps debris from the inside of your deer
does not ruin hide, or damage cape of game
easy assembly with easy to follow directions

Cons:
wheel can sometimes get stopped or stuck on larger logs, or other obstacle (easy fix by applying a little more force to pop it over)

I would give this product a 9.5 out of 10. The only issue was very minor, and was easily over came. Compared to tradition rope dragging methods it is 500 times easier. Not getting out of breath, and barley breaking a sweat for me, an average fit individual says a lot. I did not get to attempt any up hill drags on this session, but may do so with my own deer.

Special thanks to shootbowtech for picking my name and giving me one for free, I can assure you all that it will get its use.
loridr likes this.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 06:07 PM

Re: Full, in depth Rack Packer Review

Excellent review of what I believe is a excellent concept. I wish them the best of luck.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 11:59 AM
dce

Looks cool but without using it,I'd say it could use a bigger wheel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 06:27 PM
Part of the Community

Agree with dce, would be nice to see some video of this thing going over logs, rock, wet muddy ground etc. The wheel seems really small.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I will try and get a video if I get a deer and have someone to film.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Also if the wheel was too big it would dig into your back on the pack in.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dce
No doubt!

This looks like a wheelbarrow without the bucket! All the load appears to be in the hands. No balance or leverage whatsoever. Small wheel, many hastles. Rocks, sticks, logs, mud.... Might dig in, but larger wheel MUCH worth a change.
Used a wheelbarrow, used a collapsible fold down back-able cart. You name it, Been there, done that. What makes a cart great for dragging out a deer is the balance supplied by carcass deck and large easy rolling wheels.
That cart doesn't appear much easier that a flat-out drag!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by WADMAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by dce
No doubt!

This looks like a wheelbarrow without the bucket! All the load appears to be in the hands. No balance or leverage whatsoever. Small wheel, many hastles. Rocks, sticks, logs, mud.... Might dig in, but larger wheel MUCH worth a change.
Used a wheelbarrow, used a collapsible fold down back-able cart. You name it, Been there, done that. What makes a cart great for dragging out a deer is the balance supplied by carcass deck and large easy rolling wheels.
That cart doesn't appear much easier that a flat-out drag!
It all depends on what you want. It makes the drag 100 times easier than the rope. I hunt way back away from the road so a traditional deer cart would not be ideal for my dragging. Hauling a heavy, oversized cart that you have to back up to get it around obstacles, is not what I am looking for. This works very well for me. It will take a bit more effort than a traditional cart, but the pack ability and mobility are what make it better IMO. I have found a way to reduce hang ups on this as well and will but it in my next post with my 2nd review of the cart.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Got to use the rack packer again, on my own harvest this weekend. I was pressed for time as I had to be out of the woods at 11:30 to get my gear out of the woods. I shot her at 9:00 and got done field dressing, and walked back to my car by about 10:20. I packed my treestand, bookbag, bow, and inline out, and went to my parents to get a large plastic bag, and drop the gear off. Arrived back my parking space at 10 til 11. Grabbed the rack packer and headed off to my deer. I marked her on my gps so too a direct rout too her.

I got there and rolled her on the cart and strapped her in. The picture below shows the proper way to strap you deer to the cart.

I tucked her back legs in and ran the strap around the hooves. I set the strap above the legs, so it would sinch down good on the body, and not allow the legs to come un strapped. I warpped the strap around the body, and sinched it down. You could fold her front legs as well but being pressed for time I elected to just let them hang.

Here is the back side showing where the strap sinches just above the hind quarter.

I took off to the car. The area had much more rocks than last time and at first I got hung up a few times. I now found the way to get around possible hang ups. When you see an obstacle, just bend your elbows and lift the cart up a bit changing the drag angle, this will expose more of the wheel and allow it to roll over a lot better. I was just walking in a straight line at a brisk pace to get to the car. I took it over some larger logs, in the 12" plus diameter range, and would roll it right over just by lifting my elbows up a bit. I did not have to apply much more force to achieve a good drag.

I made it back to my car, and was a bit worried about getting her in the back.

I grabbed the "butt plate" and lifted the front wheel up onto my trunk.

I then walked around to the handles and lifted it up and rolled her right in.

I then, folded the trunk down and tied the orange band,used in archery, around my spoiler and around one of the handles, to keep the trunk closed.

I let her head hang out to keep blood out of the trunk of my car. That process took about 2 minutes including taking the pictures.

My first impression of this was good, and still hold the 9.5 out of 10 on the rack packer. It works absolutely perfect for my set up. Some may want a super easy drag, but the mobility and pack ability of the cart pass the other benefits of a traditional cart.

Things that benefit me the most:

1) It fits in my car, easlily with all of my other gear
2) worked perfect for loading the deer in my trunk all by myself. no flopping, not mess, no hassle
3) very light to carry in far differences
4) cuts dragging effort and time in half

Still haven't found any major issues with this product as of yet, and overcame the hang up issues this weekend. I will keep putting it to the test and will keep updating my reviews.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 11:14 PM

i'm confused, i don't see any rack? are you sure you're using it right? it's not a doe packer.....

Pence/Putin 2024

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page