Full, in depth Rack Packer Review(10/19 update) - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Re: Full, in depth Rack Packer Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellodog
i'm confused, i don't see any rack? are you sure you're using it right? it's not a doe packer.....
in time grass hopper. LOL

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 04:53 PM
dce

Mike.I'm not beating on the product.Truthfully,it seems like a good deal and would probably work better off of a trail than a two wheeled cart.However,why do people want to pack them in on their backs?I have a cart that probably weighs 35-40lbs.It's solid steel,well balanced and sturdy.I don't use it a lot but when I do,I just wheel it to where the deer is.I think that takes less effort than carrying one in.

I killed two doe this past saturday and had to drag them about 1/2 mile up hill.One is no problem but two was more than I was willing to try.I went home,got my cart and loaded both of them on.I had to go about 60 yards through a recently logged area before I hit a logging road and that was after dragging both of them down hill for about a 1/4 mile to get them there.Once I hit the logging road,it went pretty good although it was still a work out because it was all uphill.I find tat carts are worth their weight in gold if you have a road or trail to run them on.I find them more hassle than their worth if you you a bunch of obstacles.The rack packer seems like it would be a good deal in that situation.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dce
.However,why do people want to pack them in on their backs?I have a cart that probably weighs 35-40lbs.It's solid steel,well balanced and sturdy.I don't use it a lot but when I do,I just wheel it to where the deer is.I think that takes less effort than carrying one in.
I carry it on my back because it is only like 15-17 pounds and would rather not make more noise than I have too, and I can walk around obstacles(downed trees, brush piles, briar patches, are common in my area) easier and faster than dragging a traditional cart, or rack packer(folded down) around it.
It makes for a faster time, to downed game IMO

No offense taken on your view on the product, or critiques at all.

I am not associated with this product, or getting paid or anything, and won it by the owner picking its name. I am only retelling the benefits and downfalls that I see.

I can see where some places the traditional cart would work better than it would. But for my new hunting style it is working great. If you are hunting far away from your truck in adverse terrain and have many obstacles, I think by packing it in on your back, you get the benefit of not having to work your traditional cart around everything on your way to the downed game.

I will be hunting about 1.5 miles away from the nearest trail this weekend, and will be hunting some really steep nasty terrain, loaded with downed trees, and super steep hillsides. I have yet to use this on anything steep like that but imagine a traditional cart would be more topsy turny on that type of stuff (only assuming) than the rack packer, where I can lower one arm to adjust to the slope (hypothetically speaking)

I agree that a bigger wheel would make it a bit easier while dragging in the arms down position, but I found that to overcome that you lift your arms up a little bit, and expose more of the wheel.

I think if you put a bigger wheel on it, it would hit your back while packing it in. I imagine the product was designed around this idea, and the ability to pack it in is what makes it different than traditional carts. The ability to pack it in is also why it is working so well for me, and for my style of hunting.

I will only be shooting a nicer buck this weekend/ rest of the year, so if I get one, it will be the ultimate test, large bodied deer, on super steep terrain. Not sure anything would work Well in this instance though

Your critiques are not falling on deaf ears, as the owner of the product checks up on these as well and takes input to heart.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 07:48 PM
dce

I'm not being critical.It looks like an interesting concept and I hope he does well with it.I've never used anything like that design but I do use a regular cart quite a bit.In my experience,a cart is worth it's weight in gold if you have a smooth,relatively level surface.That rack packer definately seems like a better design if you're off the trail where a cart is essenially worthless.As far as packing it in,I see where you're coming from.Hauling a cart through the woods would be a pita.Mine only gets used on trails.

I'm interested enough that I may just buy one.Thanks for the feedback.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
The Man

If you lived closer I would let you check mine out in person. I went to school in dubois and hunted the gamelands that border treasure lake. Saw a lot of deer out there, but never archery hunted it. Was a little tough to convince the landlord to let me hang the deer off of the deck. LOL Keep checking back in for more updates. If I connect this weekend, the rack packer will get beat.

But to be honest I never drug a deer out with a traditional cart, only witnessed them in use and played with them in the store or at a friends house. If I am hunting with someone and they use one, I will be sure to try it out and have a better comparison.

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 08:56 PM
dce

Also,the more I think about it having a bigger wheel,the more I think it may be a little on the tippy side.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I am switching up spots for the morning and will be close to home. Will still walk out to test the rack packer, will be draggin him out on rocky, tram roads the whole way, mixed with some mud and other terrain, either way if I get one it will get beat. LOL

I agree with the larger wheel adding tipping issues.

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 10:44 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I think this product would really take off if the wheel was bigger and detachable (detachable because it's larger). Pull a simple pin, remove the larger wheel, and then strap it to the rack packer. If the forks came out further or were bent down it would allow for a larger wheel. If it had the larger wheel I would purchase it.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 06:40 PM
Regular Visitor

I just bought one of these. Excited to finally make my drags out easier! Prob wont get to test it out this year though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page