DIY Strap-On Bowhanger - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

DIY Strap-On Bowhanger

I have a TreeApron strap mount hanger now but it holds the bow very close to the tree. I got bored Sunday and dug through my scrap steel pile and fired up the old mig welder. I realize you can buy them for $25 but this was basically free (I did buy the stainless hardware for $3) and plus I got to make it, which was fun.

2 - 7" x 1" square tube
1 - 2" x 2" x 1/8" Angle
1 - Threaded eyelet and nut (sorry I had it already, not sure of size)
2 - U shaped pipe clamps
1 - Small hook for accessory hanger (any size you like)
1 - Stainless 1/4" x 20 x 2-1/4" bolt
1 - Stainless 1/4 x 20 nylock nut
3 - Stainless 1/4" washers
1 - Can Black Plasti-dip
1 - 1" Nylon strap (mine is wider than 1" but only because I already had it)
Misc camo tape and shrink wrap

I cut two pieces of 1" square tubing 7" long and drilled a 5/16" hole 3/4" from the end centered on both pieces. Next I cut a piece of the 2" angle 6" long. I realized the nut from the threaded eyelet fit perfect inside the tube so I welded it in, that way the bow hook is removable for packing. I cut about 1/3 of the eyelet off so it could be used as a hook and coated it in plasti-dip. Next I notched the angle at the top so the 1" tubing would sit flush and give me decent welding surfaces. I drilled a 1/4" hole through this section and welded the small eyelet in for the accessory hook. I ground the top weld down so it would fold back without hitting. I also filled the ends with silicone to hopefully prevent the tubes from filling with water or dirt. I welded the U clamps onto the sides of the angle for loops to run the strap through. I then coated everything in plasti-dip (2 coats) for protection and to hopefully help with any noise while hanging a bow or item on the smaller hook.

I think I will cut the threaded eyelet down, there's no reason for it to be that long and it takes some time screwing it into the hanger.

It works pretty well. I hung a 20# dumbbell from it and it held no problem, I forgot to get a picture of that though. It is angled down slightly, but that was not intentional. My magnet square isn't very square anymore obviously.

All finished after plasti-dip sprayed and misc camo tape/shrink wrap mainly just because I was bored haha. ~ 16" extended.

I pulled it down once strapped on like you do with a treestand to seat it, but I don't think I needed to. It's really solid without doing that.

-Bowhunter

Coop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 12:34 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: DIY Strap-On Bowhanger

Nice! You need my address now so you can send one my way! LOL!!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

LOL I probably have enough materials, except for the stainless hardware and a strap.

I used it tonight and even with my backpack also hanging from the hook it was solid. I am digging it.

-Bowhunter

Coop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 10:58 PM
Frequent Contributor

Very nice job Squirrel! I bought one similar to that at Lancaster Archery Supply - I wouldn't have any idea how to make my own! A little bulky to carry but it does the job when hunting on state land and you can't screw anything into a tree.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! Yeah it is a little bulky but it's nice having the bow not scraping the tree like the shorter strap on hanger I have.

-Bowhunter

Coop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page