Range Finder

I have a Bushnell yardage pro 450.
It doesn't have ARC.
Don't feel like shelling out the doe right now for
an ARC Range Finder.
I'm hunting out of an 18' ladder stand.
I take my yardage readings on different tree's
roughly 2' up from the ground.
How much difference do you think there is in yards at this angle.
For instance if I'm getting a 22 yard reading on a tree from my stand.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 04:41 PM

Re: Range Finder

Maybe 2-3 yards. It's not enough to worry about in my opinion. My Nikon doesn't have angle correction and it has been working out very well. I ranged a doe at 22 yards Sunday in Ohio and I was 20' up, I used my 20 pin and it was right on the money. Well except it was 3 ft left due a rest issue haha.

-Bowhunter

Coop
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 05:05 PM

Its rarely a problem for distances around 20 yards or less so i have no doubt that you hit your mark. The advantages for arc becomes much more apparent at distances of 30 or greater. It is also much more important when hunting hillsides and elevations 18' and above. If you dont have arc, Once in stand youre supposed to range things at eye level instead of ground level to get somewhat accurate readings. The problem you run into with that is you cant always get a reading at eye level in alot of spots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 05:55 PM
RB
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Whisperer
Its rarely a problem for distances around 20 yards or less so i have no doubt that you hit your mark. The advantages for arc becomes much more apparent at distances of 30 or greater. It is also much more important when hunting hillsides and elevations 18' and above. If you dont have arc, Once in stand youre supposed to range things at eye level instead of ground level to get somewhat accurate readings. The problem you run into with that is you cant always get a reading at eye level in alot of spots.
That is what I do out of my 15' ladders as my range finder does not have ARC either. I just take the range of the tree straight out at eye level 15' up and not point down to the trunk.

AT the distance of my shots 35 yards and under I do not see an issue. The greater issue to me would be using the wrong sight by an inaccurate guesstimate.

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 06:00 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have the Bushnell 1200 legend. I got this model with the arc because I shoot long range rifle and hunt on some steep terrain at times. (on the edge of a bench) In my opinion it's not really necessary. If I was in your boat. I wouldn't drop the extra cash on one. Like Buck said, in and around 25 yards you'll be fine. I check from all my stands, and wait for the arc readings. Even from some of the pretty drastic angels and about 30-35 yards from my stand, most of the compensation is about 2-4 yards. Personally I think we can all make that adjustment on our own.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 08:12 PM
dce
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB-HPA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Whisperer
That is what I do out of my 15' ladders as my range finder does not have ARC either. I just take the range of the tree straight out at eye level 15' up and not point down to the trunk.

AT the distance of my shots 35 yards and under I do not see an issue. The greater issue to me would be using the wrong sight by an inaccurate guesstimate.
That's all you have to do.If you do that and then range the bottom of the tree,you're rarely off by a yard or two.If I range a deer,I just subtract a yard or two.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 12:02 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have a Bushnell 450 yardage pro scout and the 1000 with arc. The arc compensation is usually in the 2-3 yard range and i always hunt over 25 feet. I was hunting last night at around 30 feet in my climber because the wind was swirling and i ranged a tree at i think was 22 yards and it said to shoot 16 because of the extreme angle.

The older I get the better I was.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 12:39 PM
Regular Visitor

I recently purchased a Bushnell The Truth( range finder, which does have arc, and honestly, I don't see a need for it really. As others have said, it really necessary, but I do like the range finder, and if you really want one with arc, the truth is $200 at Bass Pro.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 01:57 PM

For the majority of hunting situations with a bow it probably isn't necessary? If you make a good shot at reasonable yardage being a yard or 2 off won't make a difference to the deer! I got mine when I was really into the serious 3-d competitions and wanted to check myself on my yardasge estimations. A small 3-d animal with a 12 ring that is the size of a dime and 10 ring in the half dollar size range will show that yard or 2 difference in a hurry.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 02:02 PM

Unless my trig serves me wrong the dimensions are off a bit. I figured that, if you were up 30 feet, your shot (and line of sight) would be 35 feet. If you were ranging the base of the tree at 66 feet (22 yards) the horizontal distance would be 56 feet (~19 yards) rather than 16 yards. What I generally do is range the base of a tree then range the tree horizontally.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page