funny how - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

funny how

Got to shoot a bunch of bows today from various brand names to replace my Switchback that has a bent riser. I chrono'd the Creed with my carbon express 350's. Both the Creed and my Switchy were set to 65 lbs.

Switchback:264 fps with a fully loaded string of 2 catwhiskers, a peep, and a kisser.

The brand new Creed with a BARE string using the same arrow shot 263.

Amazing when you see how ridiculously large the idler wheel and cam are on the Creed compared to the almost 9 year old Switchback , yet, .....not an oz. more of speed. Can't say it was smoother or more dead in hand than the Switchback either.

If anyone out there is ever pondering trading up their Switchback, Drenalin, S2, or Z7 for a newer Mathews, hold your $$$. You're not missing much.

Wampire - going harder, longer and deeper since 1984.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 11:38 PM

Re: funny how

Wow dude, I would have never guessed that one. A buddy of mines friend and friends daughter shoots for mathews. No idea where they are in the rankings. Anyway, my buddy had been shooting a darton for about ten years now and decided this year to get a new bow. He asked his buddy who shoots for mathews what bows he should consider checking out. His friend told him that he really liked the vector turbo, and highly recommended it. He said that if he wasnt already sponsored by mathews that he would own one of those bows. Im a hoyt guy, but i thought that was very interesting coming from a mathews guy.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 12:14 PM

I used to shoot an Alpine Rebel, many years ago....

Under the old guidlines, heavy arrow (IBO) the bow shot 240 +/- (I dont remember exactly)

Under more modern guidlines- light arrow, the bow would have performed surprisingly competitive with todays avg new compound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 12:48 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I sold My SBXT and bought a Z7 extreme 2 years ago. I still regret that move!

Camp life,it don't get much better!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 02:12 PM
Part of the Community

I dont know if Mathews can make the single cam any faster !? Seems they would have if they couldve by now. I have a z& Mag and it is 340IBO advertised I dont get that speed as my draw is shorter and I have a peep and monkey tails on the string. The bow is smmoth and quiet all be it a little heavy w accessories ...
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoods Hunter
I dont know if Mathews can make the single cam any faster !? Seems they would have if they couldve by now. I have a z& Mag and it is 340IBO advertised I dont get that speed as my draw is shorter and I have a peep and monkey tails on the string. The bow is smmoth and quiet all be it a little heavy w accessories ...
I think that most single cam speed bows are inflating their IBO's significantly, including the Bear Carnage, Z7 Mag, Creed, etc. It seems like the only thing speeding up bows at this point is by playing around with insanely short brace heights.

I'm certainly not a speed freak in the slightest but if I'm going to fork over close to a grand for a bow that I want to last me the next 10 years (really wanted a lifetime warranty), then put something on my plate that is going to prove that technology has improved in 9 years. Like I said, the Creed chrono'd 1 fps slower with a bare string, with the same arrow and poundage as my 9 year old switchback with a fully loaded string. That's embarrassing and even the salesman at the shop seemed shocked.

What is the point of having an idler wheel and cam the size of a dinner plate if it delivers the same performance as a 9 year old bow that is rated 12 fps slower IBO?

At this point, companies should just hone their hunting bows for being hunting specific and quit hamming up their new flagship every year. I'd love to see a Mathews or Hoyt with the hunting features of an APA Mamba - built in sharpeners and broadhead wrenches, hanging fangs etc. A good flagship should be able to stay the flagship bow for a few years in a row. When a company replaces it every year, what they're inadvertently saying is "last year's Heli-m was a botch job and half baked idea - but try this half baked idea this year for more money!!!".

Wampire - going harder, longer and deeper since 1984.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 09:14 PM

I agree man. I dont like the looks of those huge cams, and i especially dislike them even more if they dont make the slightest difference in accuracy, smoothness, or speed. I think coming out with a new flagship bow every year is a little ridiculous, but they do it to stay competative. They want simple minds to beieve that each years bow is somehow better than the last, which is a bunch of bologna. Theyre almost always the same bow with just a little tweaking here and there. Like you said, if you spend a thousand dollars on a bare bow, it better be the best bow on the market for a couple years. I really dont know how much more you can improve todays bows.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 11:30 PM

A while back I read a magazine article written by a fellow who has tested multiple manufacturers' bows. He said he has never been able to attain the advertised IBO speed with any of them.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 11:37 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Mathews uses the same formulas for determining IBO speed, but they have been know to be long on their draw lengths when doing this, by as much as 1/2"-3/4", hence higher IBO rated speeds.

Generally, of all the bows we sold, Hoyt, PSE, and Bear seemed to be at least equal, if not faster than the IBO speeds.

Wishing I was at camp!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 02:51 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

have you expanded your search beyond matthews? unless you get a monster, matthews isn't gonna show you any blazing speeds. there are SO many good bow companies now. bear is making some great new bows, so is obsession, elite, hoyt, bowtech, etc....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page