funny how - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Re: funny how

I did look outside of Mathews. Not loyal to any brand but with the season 2 weeks away, I was hoping to stay with something somewhat familiar. I was really hoping to shoot a Bear Empire as I've loved their Carnage before but the dealer had none.

Actually ended up walking out with a Hoyt Syder30.

Wampire - going harder, longer and deeper since 1984.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 04:56 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I recently picked up a Diamond Outlaw, ready to hunt for $550.
I really like it.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 02:33 AM
Part of the Community

There is also the school of thought out there that the technology is there to produce faster bows but sales of the "slower" bows doesnt warrant using the newer technology...look at PSE they claim 355 on soem of their models.. I would think the other companies like Mathews or Hoyt could producefaster bows but why when it seems the sales are good....I agree that to plunk down $900 the technology should warrant it....I usually buy a new bow every 6 years...My Z7 mag is 20 fps faster than my LX...but I like the simplicity of single cams so not sure how much faster that design can get...with a rangefinder its a moot point for me any how...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoods Hunter
There is also the school of thought out there that the technology is there to produce faster bows but sales of the "slower" bows doesn't warrant using the newer technology
Physics limits the speed of a bow. I believe I've read that the IBO speed is limited to something like 400 FPS. That would be where the area under the curve is at it's absolute maximum, or a rectangle. I.e., at the beginning of the draw, it's already at 70#. It stays at the 70# until it reaches 30" then falls at 90 degrees. It would be virtually impossible to shoot. Even at that, friction would be involved, otherwise we'd have a 100% efficient machine and physics also tells us that can't be done.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 12:51 PM
The Man

My 2011 vendetta is rated at 330 fps. I shoot mine with over 400 grain arrows, and manage upper 290's. It has past parallel limbs and a really short brace. That being said I got a chance to shoot their new DNA the other week. This bows IB is somehwere in the 350's I believe. The bow was not as pleasurable or smooth to shoot as my vendetta to be honest. I think a lot of companies are so caught up in the speed game, that they are sacrificing smoothness while shooting.

I am happy with my bow and speed was not the main factor when i selected it. Quiet and smoothness sold me on the bow, and I am very happy with upper 290's for speed.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 01:47 PM

My Assassin is rated at 333. I shoot a 380 grain arrow at 28.5" and 62# and it chrono'd at right around 290. I don't care about speed but had it checked because people always ask.

-Bowhunter

Coop
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

My initial post really wasn't because I was bummed at IBO of the Creed. It was that for a company that has their slogan as "Catch us if you can" they couldn't catch even themselves in 8 years between my '05 Switchback and '13 Creed. The Switchback is already one of the smoothest bows to be made, so if you're about to shell out $900 - why do it on a bow that shoots no faster and is no smoother. All in all- seems like a sham of speeds, ratings, and new technology. Like I said...the only thing that seems to be producing new speeds is squeezing the brace height smaller and smaller.

Wampire - going harder, longer and deeper since 1984.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 09:08 PM

A guy i work with bought a new creed a few weeks ago. I told him about the speed issue and his eyes lit up. He said that he was gonna have to go check it out then to see what his chrono's at. I received an email from him today saying that his is only shooting 250 fps, which is 20 fps second slower than the hoyt he upgraded from. His hoyt was like 15 years old though in all fairness.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 04:43 PM

I love my switchback xt. Unless it falls apart I see no need to improve. It does everything I ask of it year in and year out. I bought in to the speed marketing gimmick years ago as a young man, but today I look more into efficiency of the equipment. All you have to do is take a look at all the trophy bucks on my wall to realize that its not speed and looks that make you a good hunter, Its the ability to use what you have efficiently, and using good woodsmanship. It isn't rocket science, it's only hunting.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 03:13 PM

Been shooting my switchback since 05. I shoot it a lot and guess what it still shoots better than I can. I have taken bear and a few nice bucks with it and plan to use it until either I or the bow falls apart.

I have two buddies who purchased switchbacks in 05 and neither of them have any plans for a new bow.

I dropped out of the bow every year or two several years ago. Been purchasing bows since the mid 70's and they have greatly improved since then to the point I personally do not need any more improvement for my use. Now my approach is to find something that works well and stick with it. I am not impressed by more speed, new innovations etc. One can only kill a deer so dead. Any more speed and energy would only take me longer to pull the arrow out of the dirt after the pass through.

My only regret is that I did not buy two 05 switchbacks.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page