Arrow overhang from rest - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Arrow overhang from rest

I have been looking into this, I have my arrows about an inch in front of my arrow rest. This works but was wondering if anyone thinks that having a little extra would hurt. I like to have as heavy arrow that I can but stay in the FOC. I think I could get away with an extra inch of arrow. Any thoughts on this?

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 04:18 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Arrow overhang from rest

It doesn't really matter how long or short your arrows are long as they fly true out of your bow. Obviously a longer arrow will weaken the spine and add a little weight and a shorter arrow will do the opposite.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 05:29 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

BBD is correct in that lengthening an arrow will lessen the stiffness and shortening the arrow will increase stiffness. All arrows are graded in stiffness based upon how far (tenths of an inch) an arrow bends or deviates from straight when a 1.9# weight is suspended from the middle of the shaft supported at each end (28" apart).

With that in mind, when applying it to the real world, the 2 ends of support are the point (point weight and insert weight) and the nock. The stress is applied by the string. The longer you make the shaft, the more flex, or bend you will put in it. That is why when you look up which shaft to use, you will get a table that takes into account shaft or drawlength and poundage.

Also from a practical point, you have to look at your broad heads and how you grip the bow. You may just want your broad head out in front of your grip at full draw.

Finally, you need to decide just what is "good enough" for you, and that you are confident in your shot and your equipment. I know guys that start with a bare shaft at 30" and keep trimming at 1/4 inch increments until it bare shaft tunes at 20 yards. That takes a lot of time and patience, and probably something you are not going to get done at most pro-shops this time of year. I will say that weaker shaft arrows are easier to tune than stiffer shaft arrows.

As far as foc- look at adding weight to your tip (either heavier point or brass inserts then see how much your arrow drops at longer distances. You may see no difference at 20-40 yards, but your foc will be up as well as your KE, and it will fly like a lawn dart!!

Wishing I was at camp!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 12:42 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I generally cut my hunting arrows 3/4 to 1 inch past my rest and my target arrows easton 2613 x7's I start with full length and trim and add different field point weight until i can get them to tune from a 52 pound bow.

The older I get the better I was.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page