Trouble with QAD Rest - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Trouble with QAD Rest

My youngest son recently put a QAD drop away rest on his bow. Since the bow was also new, we just eyeballed everything as far as setting it up because he wanted to get about 100 shots on the string before we started tuning.

Went to start tuning the other night and I kept noticing a slight arrow wiggle and after further inspection, found that his vanes (cock feather up)are hitting the rest. Everything seems to be set up properly. The rest does not hit the shelf when it drops. Any tips on how to correct this or are some rests just not fast enough. I always thought QAD rests were pretty good. Thanks.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 03:12 PM
The Man

Re: Trouble with QAD Rest

The rest is planty fast enough, it just needs to be set up correctly. I'm no expert, and it took me forever to get my clearing properly. It's working flawlessly now though. Do the two little white lines on the rest line up exactly at full draw? What model QAD is it?

I think I'm an alright guy, I think I'm alright
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I figured I'll have to play around with it a little, Borden.
Not sure what model he has. I'll check the "white lines".
This is the first drop-away I have ever set up, but it seems that I have everything as it should be. Probably overlooking something, lol.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 05:42 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Check the timing to see when the rest starts to fall by slowly letting it down from full draw. also check your clearance from bow shelf, you should have 1 to 2 credit card gap so rest doesn't bounce. I have also in the past crimped a few nock sets on the lanyard to give it weight so it falls out of the way and doesn't loop up and contact your vanes.

The older I get the better I was.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 06:30 PM

When I first got mine, I found that the rest wasnt falling rather it was being knocked down. I was seeing marks on my white wraps. Adjusted the length and the timing issue. Has worked perfectly since.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa.Bone
Check the timing to see when the rest starts to fall by slowly letting it down from full draw. also check your clearance from bow shelf, you should have 1 to 2 credit card gap so rest doesn't bounce. I have also in the past crimped a few nock sets on the lanyard to give it weight so it falls out of the way and doesn't loop up and contact your vanes.
This one doesn't drop when you let it down slow. I have about 3/16" between the rest and the shelf.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 09:49 PM

There is a great video on youtube by Dravesarchery that I used to set mine up and I have never had one problem. I have the HDX so I didn't have to worry about bounce back like you do with the Hunter version.

Short version:

Make sure rest comes back at the last ~1" of draw.
Make sure the white timing marks line up at full draw.

Those are both controlled by the position of the cord.

Also always "cock" the rest when loading an arrow, never draw it with the launcher on the shelf.

-Bowhunter

Coop
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks all. I'm sure we'll get this rest shooting fine. Seems like a very good product.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 06:02 PM
New Arrival

If you have the 'Hunter' model it does not come with the Lock Down (LD) technology that locks the rest in place when it is released. Later models (LD, HD, HDX) all come with that techonology. I had the Hunter verison and noticed the same thing. Regardless of tuning, I still had some fletching contact.

I installed a foam pad under the rest so when the prong landed the foam absorbed its energy and 'deaded' the bounce back.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 08:10 PM
Frequent Contributor

Also consider checking the tension in the wire to the cable at full draw... if you can move it at all the rest is most likely being pushed down not falling.. loosen the screw at the flipper of the rest using allen keys where the wire enters the rest then pull it slightly tighter. That issue plagues a lot with that rest.

STRAP ASSASSIN ONE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page