Hang-on Stands - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Hang-on Stands

I know someone just posted about the hang on stands and I found that useful, but I also always use a climber and need to use a hang on in this spot. The only thing is people are pretty good at stealing things up here as I have already had one camera stolen and my buddy had a ladder stand stolen. So, what are some techniques to setting up a hang on and preventing theft?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 08:45 PM
Part of the Community

Today is HighTecHillbilly's birthday!
Re: Hang-on Stands

Put it up as high as you feel comfortable. Big chain and a big lock and take your climbing sticks or steps with you.

Vegetarian: Old indian word for bad hunter.
Ya cant eat bone, but it looks dang good on the wall.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 12:46 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

^^^x2 and one other thing--when you lock your stand, tilt the platform up and lock it in the up position--makes is less obvious.

Wishing I was at camp!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 12:20 PM
The Man

The only proven technique is to not leave anything, alone, in the woods overnight or for weeks and months.
Bolt cutters were invented shortly after bolts were invented. And as long as bolt cutters are cheaper than tree stands and trail cams, thefts will occur.

The only thing I offer a thief in the woods.
"What happened to the tree stand that was in this tree."
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 09:45 PM

One thing that can help is using 3D camo(nothing helps when someone is determined to get though). If you were to set 2-3 segments of tree steps up high, but then take the bottom 2 with you, that would help. They have to spot the treestand first and the geometric straight lines are what grabs most peoples attention in the woods. I spray paint my entire stand with 3-4 colors of camo spray paint (helps to prevent rust so double win) to get rid of the dark black look. I then spray paint fake plastic leave strands from craft stores and use zip ties to attach to the bottom of the stand. This breaks up the big rectangular grate look and also puts natural looking material between the viewer on the ground and the stand.

Who knows if it really helps. The photo included is a pretty large stand so it still sticks out but in a tree with better cover and a stand without hand rails, it really breaks things up.

Wampire - going harder, longer and deeper since 1984.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I have never used climbing sticks but it seems like they'd be a real pain to carry in and set up everytime. Also loud? Thoughts?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 03:18 AM
Regular Visitor

Invest in a good, light set of sticks. I use a set of 4 lone wolf climbing sticks. They weigh just under 10lbs, are super easy to set up and are very sturdy... I'm a 250 lb guy and I have never felt uncomfortable. This way you can set up many tree stands, lock them up high and just take your sticks down and up each time. Lord have mercy on those unfortunate souls that feel the need to steal treestands!.... Especially if I come across them in the act! Shoot straight!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 11:34 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Buy milleniums and leave the receiver bracket in the tree and take the stand with you on each sit.

Im a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 11:42 AM

A thief sometimes will work really hard to get any thing but wonder if he/she was hanging their own stands would they work that hard? I only use a couple of lock-ons (mostly use my climber) but we use screw in steps and take out the last 8 feet and screw them back in (mark them with a little paint) then I put them in a plastic bag and hide them under a nearby log so I don't have to carry in and out and my son can use if he wants.

live laugh love and hunt hard!

Forest county got to love it!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 01:15 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Send a message via AIM to jlh42581

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredBear
I have never used climbing sticks but it seems like they'd be a real pain to carry in and set up everytime. Also loud? Thoughts?
4 lone wolf sticks covered in stealth strips and a lone wolf assault is my run and gun stand. A climber isnt a run and gun tool in my mind.

What I say might not be the popular trend but at least Im not afraid to speak my mind!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page