What Caliper - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
The Man

What Caliper

What type of caliper do you have on your release? I am getting a new release and was wondering Dual, Single or Hook? What brand do you have?

Any pros and cons from experience appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 02:13 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: What Caliper

I'm shooting the Scott Itty Bitty Goose, single caliper, with the strap. I had brought this up last year about whether a single or double caliper was better. There was not any real consensus in regards to whether single of double was better. My concern is how the release is held. If its a solid piece from the wrist strap the caliper and your are gripping it, you can cause some torque. The only thing that touches my release is my finger and the release falls away after the shot, reducing any torque.

I'm thinking of getting the Scott Pronghorn Back Tension release after the season.

RIP Tuff 98-11, So many hunts, so many good times!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 07:08 PM
dce
Sage

I use a mongoose.I've tried a few other but always went back to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 08:46 PM

Ive always shot a dual caliper and see no reason to switch. The only real down side to the dual caliper is wear on your loop, but that has never been an issue for me in the past and they are actually the most tunable releases of the 3. Ive tried many brands of releases over the years but kept going back to my trusty trufire velcro strap release. It was the release i started out on which is why i think i felt so comfortable with it. This year i got a Scott Shark buckle release and so far i like it alot. I was kinda tore back and forth between getting the hybrid linkage or the solid swivel release. The hybrid is nice because you can slip it up into your shirt sleeve when you arent using it so it stays out of the way when you are climbing. Ive managed to get by without that luxury over the years so i didnt view it as a necessity, so i ended up with the shark solid swivel instead. The trigger was a little sensative but ive since adjusted that a little and no longer see it as being a problem anymore. The release is fully adjustable and shoots very well. Im glad i made the switch but i plan on keeping the trufire in my truck as a back up anyway.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Thanks guys, I just bought A True Fire Edge dual caliper. We'll see how it works
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 12:26 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Hunt with a Tru Ball Short N Sweet

The older I get the better I was.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treed74
I'm shooting the Scott Itty Bitty Goose, single caliper, with the strap.
I'm using the Scott Little Bitty Goose single caliper with strap and really like it.

-Bowhunter

Coop
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 05:40 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa.Bone
Hunt with a Tru Ball Short N Sweet
Same here. A hook is the only way to go with a string loop. Quick hookup, virtually no wear on the loop thus eliminating the eventual pull through with a caliper.
V

I don't always hunt with a bow, but when I do I prefer Mathews. Stay vertical, my friends.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 09:02 PM

Ive been hunting archery for over 10 years and have never had that happen to me. I replace my string every two years. I dont shoot year round though, so it may be an issue for those that do. My bow only see's use from the end of june till the end of november.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 09:58 PM
Frequent Contributor

I did not have the pull through happen to me but I was practicing with a friend who had a couple of unintentional releases during the draw. We looked over the release for few minutes to figure out what was wrong. Finally determined the worn loop was pulling through the gap. Not the fault of the release and could have been prevented by replacing the loop sooner. Anyway, I concluded a hook was a better option for me.
V

I don't always hunt with a bow, but when I do I prefer Mathews. Stay vertical, my friends.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page