Pop up blinds - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Pop up blinds

I have one and am not convinced they work, ie: make you "invisible" to deer. Got busted by a doe last year at about 30 yds. Plus not sure how the shoot through screening can not effect arrow flight.

The spirit of our day is a soft acceptance of everything—except deep conviction in anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 09:15 PM
The Man

Re: Pop up blinds

Never used one for deer but I think a blind out in the open they would be suspicious, should probably be brushed up. I also would think you still have to worry about scent on and in the blind. I have heard of people closing all the windows but one so the scent would not drift out to the deer.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 01:39 AM

I've killed turkey and deer out of mine and love it! Still gotta watch your movements and scent, that's why I like using a Ozonics unit and wear black shirt and hat when I'm in mine.

16/17 deer season:

Wet butt so far
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 02:20 AM
Frequent Contributor

I have used them to film and hunt out of, had deer come within in 10 feet from the blind you dont move and scent they will go right by like they said a little camo around them makes the deer not so spooky

A smile is like tight underwear ... it makes your cheeks go up
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 09:49 PM
Frequent Contributor

I try to tuck mine into the brush as much as I can, and I always cut some of the local flora and thread it through all the little loops on the blind, and I put some on top too.

You definitely don't want to set it up out in the open because deer will notice this new thing in their environment that was never there before.

Quarry mine, blessed am I
In the luck of the chase.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 10:03 PM

I was being lazy towards the end of a morning last turkey season. It was almost quitting time (noon) and I was in a pop-up blind. I was contemplating pulling my decoy when I heard a shaking sound behind me. I said to myself, only one theing sounds like that. I heard a turkey walking next to the blind, and a scratching sound. a jake strutted into view. the scratching sound was his wings scraping against the tent. He went out to the decoy and screwed around for 10 minutes b4 he lost interest. Seems like neither deer or turkey pay the blinds much attention. I do brush in the blinds.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 11:37 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

A friend of mine uses one when we hunt southern Ohio, Deer don't seem to spot him because of blending into the background. But you still have to watch the wind, they will smell you

The older I get the better I was.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page