The Oxymoron - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
The Man

The Oxymoron

It's not sweat off my nose, but this is one oxymoron, the meeting point of two things that don't match.
You see a 310 pound hunter looking for a new tree stand. It intrigues me how such a big guy even wants to climb trees. Or even carry the tree stand into the woods once, with his extra weight.

Finding 250 lb. weight limit tree stands is getting rarer. And even climbing stands are getting rarer.

I can see the "what do you mean your tree stand won't fit me."
Or, "you mean to say somebody built that tree stand without a 350 lb. weight limit."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 12:00 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: The Oxymoron

One of my son's friends weighs 350 and hunts from a Summit Goliath treestand. He had no trouble until last year and while climbing a tree the stand collapsed. The metal didn't break it just bent and folded down. Summit sent him a new stand and he is on a diet

The older I get the better I was.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mus42tang
It's not sweat off my nose, but this is one oxymoron, the meeting point of two things that don't match.
You see a 310 pound hunter looking for a new tree stand. It intrigues me how such a big guy even wants to climb trees. Or even carry the tree stand into the woods once, with his extra weight.

Finding 250 lb. weight limit tree stands is getting rarer. And even climbing stands are getting rarer.

Or, "you mean to say somebody built that tree stand without a 350 lb. weight limit."
Sir, you should have you very own forum!!!

We all make choices, some good, some bad, can you live up to yours?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 02:26 PM
Frequent Contributor

The next time you meet a 350# hunter, ask him why he would want to climb a tree, and let us know how that works out for you.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 03:37 PM

I suppose it also depends on whether said big guy is 6' 7" or if he's 5' 11". Or she.

I think a big ol' tall boy (or gal) could easily start sniffing the 350 mark and be in fine shape. Now, someone right around the 6' mark and is halfway to 400 from 300 might have some challenges in climbing a tree.

I'm 6' even and usually within a biscuit (not a Whisker Biscuit, mind you, I'm a QAD guy) of 200, so if I was even just half more the guy I am now, I would be, well, "fluffy", and I think trees might be a little bit of a stretch.

A closed mind keeps the truth out
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 03:59 PM

My buddys son is well over 300# and uses the Summit Goliath as well. Last year after getting married he got even bigger and had to shop around for a safety harness that would fit. He is still fairly young and has no problem climbing but in 10 years it may be a different story!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 04:10 PM
Frequent Contributor

im 6'6" 335#, I will climb in and use any well know treestand. I have 2 lone wolf sit and climbs and 2 buckshot hotshots for climbers. I also have about 6 ladders and about 30 hang ons from Dicks. Most stands are rated to 300, I dont think that extra 35# is going to matter!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 04:27 PM
Frequent Contributor

So.. why come here to complain? Why didn't you express your disdain for big guys right to hunt to the said 310lb hunter? Maybe you two could of discussed his dislike of internet trolls who worry about other peoples business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mus42tang

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 07:28 PM

I used to be a pretty big guy. Back in 2005 i was benching 405 lbs and tipping the scales at 288 lbs at 5'10" tall. I had no problem climbing tree's, setting stands, you name it. Im down to 225 now and dont lift the heavy weights as much anymore. I focus more on being physically fit these days.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 12:34 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by berksbowman
im 6'6" 335#........ Most stands are rated to 300, I dont think that extra 35# is going to matter!
I pray you are right. That's one think it would really STINK to be wrong about.

demokraten saugen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page