Rangefinders - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Rangefinders

What kind of rangefinders do you guys use during archery season?? I'm looking into maybe getting a halo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 10:41 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Rangefinders

I have a Nikon i have had for tens years or so. It doen't have arc but it has been a good one.

The older I get the better I was.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 12:33 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Nikon 550, no arc. Very good tool!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 01:05 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I got the Nikon Arch as a gift two years ago. Never really needed one, but what i like is the optical power, i believe 20 3x. I don;t have to use my binos looking for brow tines etc. The distance is only out to 100 yards, so if you are looking for one that can also be used in rifle you'll need the gun one.

RIP Tuff 98-11, So many hunts, so many good times!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 04:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I still use my Bushnell yardage pro sport. I use it mostly when setting up targets, practicing, and sightihg in. I also like to guess the distance to objects while hiking and check the distance with the rangefinder. I believe it helps to keep my guesstmate as accurate as possible.

Usually I don't take it hunting.

Only fools fight in a burning house...Day of the dove
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 09:10 PM

I have a Nikon 440. My recommendation would be that if you should take it hunting, you range the area as soon as you get into your position. Know the landmarks and trees and such. Never put yourself in a position to need it just before the shot.

As this is the Archery forum, I assume the rangefinder is in the context of bow hunting. Enough going on without having to know the exact distance via a rangefinder.

The OP didn't say if they hunt with a compound, crossbow, or traditional rig. But if you're shooting a high-tech setup, the speed and trajectory should be enough that you can use the rangefinder in advance and not need it real-time.

Forget the "arc" myth. If you are a tree hunter, just range other trees at eye level and you got your distance.

I do have a couple of stand sites where I do need to understand distance, a 30-35 yarder is possible. So I just know that this tree, that stump is X number of yards by ranging them in advance. It is a good tool, but I believe if you're trying to fool around with a rangefinder at the so-called moment of truth, you're just adding complications to an already complicated situation.

A closed mind keeps the truth out
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 10:11 PM
dce
Sage

When rangefinders first started getting small,I bought a bushnell and then a nikon.Both were worthless at dusk or dawn so I bought a leica and never looked back.I can't comment on the optic quality today but If I can't see what I'm looking at,it's worthless.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethFrumAbuv
It is a good tool, but I believe if you're trying to fool around with a rangefinder at the so-called moment of truth, you're just adding complications to an already complicated situation.
I agree with this, which is why i dont use a single pin sight on my bow anymore. If its a stationary stand i pre-range everything when i set the stand. If its a climber then i usually have several tree's trimmed out ahead of time that ive already climbed and pre-ranged as well. Sometimes its hard to keep track of so ill take notes to review at a later time. I personally use the bushnell bow hunter chuck adams edition. I had a bunch of gander bucks saved up a few years back and used them when they were having a $50 off a $250 purchase, so i got it for practically nothing. Even went through the washer and dryer once and still works great. I dont know how i managed that one but it does and you would never be able to tell. The only thing i dont like about it is that it doesnt work very well in the rain or fog, but then again, i dont think many do which is another reason for pre-ranging spots and taking notes.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 02:37 AM

Any inexpensive ones that at least work "ok"? I would like to be able to range several trees to get the distances then stuff it back in my pack.

-Bowhunter

Coop
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 11:09 AM
The Man

Rangefinder!!!! thanks. It's already August and time to give some time for some more specific "eyeball" rangefinding practice. I'm cheap and old you know.
I can mix it in with those worthless pre-season walks I take so I was always ready to carry a climbing tree stand into and out of the woods for a mile.

Just looking at the real rangefinder prices got me real motivated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page