What Target? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

What Target?

I shoot every day almost (or will again now my bicep is healing). My Arrow Brake II bag target is shot up. The bag has only about 1000 shots. What is a target that isn't $200 but can handle a lot of shots?

Thanks.

-Bowhunter

Coop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 05:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: What Target?

Rhinehart 18-1. Got over a thousand field point shots and almost 100 broadhead shots. I have had it for 3 years and have yet to shoot out one side. About $100 depending were you look.

RIP Tuff 98-11, So many hunts, so many good times!
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 06:29 PM
The Man

currently $99.99 online at gander mountain, free ship to store, or local store will match price
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I am going to check that out. I have a 50 yard range built at home but right now my backstop is pretty redneck. When shooting today I shot through the bag, through an old cheapo block, then through some OSB I had there haha. So I need to make some changes.

-Bowhunter

Coop
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 12:54 AM

for field points it is hard to beat a decent bag style target...i have thousands and thousands of shots into my bag...once a hole starts i wrap a few wraps of silt fence around it and staple it to the hard sides...

mine is more 3d than yours..a good foot or so "deep" with hard plastic corrugated type sides and top and bottom..

it was fairly cheap at Diks sporting goods..

i think i am going to try an 18-1 this season...i brought my bow to Michigan today...didnt bring my bad as it is falling apart after 6-7 years of sitting outside..

so i need a target i can shoot FPs into all day and a few broadheads..
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 01:07 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

DIY from Thirdhand archery. Look him up, you can build his on the cheap, and they last forever. Lots of threads on AT about using them.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 02:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by op27
DIY from Thirdhand archery. Look him up, you can build his on the cheap, and they last forever. Lots of threads on AT about using them.
I was actually looking at those today. I worried about it getting wet/freezing in the cold but I really like them. I would definitely have to build a stand with a roof at the minimum if I built a carpet or clothes target to keep water off. I shoot almost year round and shooting into a frozen block of clothes or carpet can't be good for your arrows haha.

-Bowhunter

Coop
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 07:39 AM

If only shooting field points, go with a spyderweb. Durability and TRUE two finger arrow removal
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 06:04 PM
The Man

best targets for field tips are 2 burlap sacks packed tight with old clothes. Like sweatshirt, tee-shirts, anything without buttons or zippers. Pack them as tight as you can by twisting the top of the bag. Put a ziptie on that and let no airspace.

Only down fall is some times a shirt may get twisted on the arrow. This only happened after the burlap ahd started to give up the shirts got a bit loose. Quick fix is to drop the whole thing in a new burlap sack and twist tight again.

There isnt a bow/ broadhead on the market today that will shoot through that homemade target, as long as you pack them in tight enough.

If you even come close. Get 2 new sacks and rearrange the clothes and pull tight again.

I would make one of these and buy a good target for your broadheads. Just my cheap take on it.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 06:10 PM
Frequent Contributor

I just bought a 18-1 Rhinehart. So far so good!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page