The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Switching to a limb driven rest.

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  tecshooter 
#1 ·
Setting up my Vector 32 with a new set of strings and decided that I wanted to switch from the QAD to a limb driven rest. The primary reason for this is whenever I need to put twists into or out of the control cable, I have to take the draw cord from the QAD off the cable, then reattach it when done. Also been watching the slo-motion videos of arrow support using a limb driver and it makes a lot of sense. I order the Trophy Taker Smack Down Pro. As soon as it gets here I'll post some pics and let you know what I think.

#9 ·
Ok, with the snow in the air today, and too cold to go out and finish the flower beds, I worked on setting up my hunting bow with the Trophy Taker Smack Down Pro. Here is my take on this rest:
1. Well make aluminum construction.
2. Good wide whale tail launcher that picks up the arrow easily and centers it quickly.
3. Not real impressed with the rubber flipper/gap on the side where you can slip your arrow through without threading it through the capture arch. I use a shoot through riser in my indoor and 3D bows, so I'll probably use it as a shoot through loader as well.
4)Instructions that came with the rest were well written and easy to follow.
5)Center shot adjustment and tuning were very easy, did notice that the center shot is less than the usual 13/16th of an inch from the riser that is usual on a Hoyt.
6)Very quiet initially. I'll have to put about 100 shots through it to really see if it remains quiet.
7)Paper tuning to a bullet hole was quick, walk back tuning will have to wait until a less windy day.

Right now I'd say it's easier to set up than a QAD simply because the rest is in the up position as you set the horizontal level and center shot where as you have to hold the QAD up while you attempt to set the arrow in relationship to the Berger button. The only thing I think I would prefer that you get with the new AAE limbdriver is a wire cord rather than loop material. I'll have to see how much it stretches.

Overall- I'll give it a 9 out of 10, withholding a 10 rating till I see the durability of it.

#10 ·
You shouldn't worry about stretch - or at least I can say that I have never seen it happen with the loop material. Another thing that you can do with the loop material is use a custom color to match the bow or accessories. On my vapor trails, I have also had a custom harness made out of string material itself to match my strings/cables. Either way, neither have stretched and have been nothing but reliable. Good luck with the rest, I hope it works well for you!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.