XX75 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 01:35 AM Thread Starter

XX75

I'm shooting a mission endeavor around 57 lbs currently, will Max at 65. Arrow length is 28 1/2. What aluminum easton arrow should I use for deer hunting, and what suggest broadhead weight?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 01:59 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: XX75

You should use the Easton FMJ, if you want something that is aluminum. While not completely aluminum, it is an aluminum/carbon shaft, and a great choice for lower draw weights. The 400 spine is correct for your setup. If you want an XX75, the 2215 is right for you, although I would highly recommend the FMJ over the XX75. I would recommend a small or micro diameter all carbon shaft over both, like the Easton Bloodline 400 or the Gold Tip Kinetic XT 5575. I suggest 100 grain broadheads. Something that is of a fixed blade design will be best with that draw weight. I'm shooting Ramcats. You may want to look into something that is cut on contact like Magnus Stingers.

Visit us in Harrisburg Booth 908 in the Archery Hall http://www.therackpacker.com Code:HUNTINGPA
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 02:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootbowtech
You should use the Easton FMJ, if you want something that is aluminum. While not completely aluminum, it is an aluminum/carbon shaft, and a great choice for lower draw weights. The 400 spine is correct for your setup. If you want an XX75, the 2215 is right for you, although I would highly recommend the FMJ over the XX75. I would recommend a small or micro diameter all carbon shaft over both, like the Easton Bloodline 400 or the Gold Tip Kinetic XT 5575. I suggest 100 grain broadheads. Something that is of a fixed blade design will be best with that draw weight. I'm shooting Ramcats. You may want to look into something that is cut on contact like Magnus Stingers.
Thanks Shootbowtech!

Just put new string on my bow and was shooting some carbon and aluminum today at club, and just really liked how much more quiet the xx75 was. Someone said that is due to the heavier aluminum..thoughts..

Ramcat, do they make a fixed blade? All i saw on theire site were mechanicals. Wanting to stick with fixed, thinking of QAD Exodus or a Slick trick, but Magnus crossed my mind as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 02:51 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

No problem. The XX75s were quieter because of the weight. However, something like the FMJ is nearly as heavy, and will be just as quiet. The only issue with aluminum, even with an aluminum/carbon shaft, is that they can be bent. At that point, the shaft is no good. In my experience, aluminum shafts will bend faster than a good carbon shaft will break.

As for Ramcats, theyre not a mechanical, they are a fixed blade head. Technically they could be a hybrid. The blades do move, but only forward with a large amount of pressure. They're sharpened on both sides, so they cut in both directions if the arrow doesnt pass through. Best broadhead I've ever shot.

Visit us in Harrisburg Booth 908 in the Archery Hall http://www.therackpacker.com Code:HUNTINGPA
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 02:52 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Correction, the 400 spine FMJ is exactly the same weight as a 2215 XX75 at 10.2 grains per inch. Something like an Easton Carbon Injexion would be about 28 grains lighter overall than a FMJ or XX75, which is a very minimal difference.

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 308 ruger
I'm shooting a mission endeavor around 57 lbs currently, will Max at 65. Arrow length is 28 1/2. What aluminum easton arrow should I use for deer hunting, and what suggest broadhead weight?
Since my last triceps surgery I have been shooting 57 lbs. with my Mathews Switchback with 2413 XX75, 125 grain Thunderheads and quick spin with slight right fletching. I have taken bucks in OH/PA and a 250 lb. black bear in Canada. I have plenty of 2215's, 2314's, 2312's, 2315's as well as other heavier aluminum arrows; however, 2413's group the best for me in my set up. The 2314 also group very well. None of my arrows have uni knocks. They give complete penetration through the chest cavity both in the whitetails and the black bear. Good luck.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootbowtech
Correction, the 400 spine FMJ is exactly the same weight as a 2215 XX75 at 10.2 grains per inch. Something like an Easton Carbon Injexion would be about 28 grains lighter overall than a FMJ or XX75, which is a very minimal difference.
whats the difference for the gold tips? I assume both these options would be a bit pricier than aluminum a but I will search some prices.

Right now I'm shooting beman ics hunters and looking to upgrade aware that its just a hunting arrow. I will be buying just the shafts, then cutting and fletching probably with blazers.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 05:51 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

In my opinion, gold tip builds a better quality and tougher arrow than Easton. You may even want to look into the XT hunter 5575 and it will save you some money over their micro diameter shaft. The components are also much more readily available than with micro shafts. All will be a bit more expensive than aluminum, but the XT hunters won't be far off.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all for the input

Happened to be at lancaster archery today so picked up 3 of each: fmj 400, gt xt hunter 5575, 3 gt expedition hunter 5575, and xx75 camo hunter 2315s. I had asked for 2314s and dindnt check tip got back and they cut me 2315s. Will I have any issue shooting 57 lbs 28 inch arrows?

Plan to have a good time testing them in my bow
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 10:14 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You'll be slightly overspined. If you're going to shoot the 2315s, you'll want to bump up the point weight to 125. Even then you're still a bit over spined. There's really not going to be a difference between the XT and Expedition Hunter Gold Tips. Theyre the same arrow, the XT just has stricter tolerances, hence why it is more expensive. Cut an inch off the back of an Expedition hunter first, then cut the remainder off the front to your proper length, and they have the same tolerances. If you decide to go with the Gold Tips, just buy the Expedition Hunter, its all you need for hunting. Good luck testing!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page