Cable slide vs. roller slide - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Cable slide vs. roller slide

Can someone explain the difference between a cable slide and a roller slide?? Also what is it's relevance to shootability, speed, smoothness, etc thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 12:00 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Cable slide vs. roller slide

A cable slide will wear out your cables faster than a roller guide. I would think they would also impart more friction onto the cables, slightly decreasing the speed. Other than that, I'm thinking not all that much difference.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

ok thanks looking at maybe going with a mid range hoyt or bear rather then spending 900 bucks. that bear method looks pretty good as does the charger by hoyt but both have cable sliders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 04:06 AM
Part of the Community

Don't sell yourself short, if you have the time & money to get any bow out there by all means go shoot them. The high priced ones cost that much for a reason. Don't get me wrong the lower end bows can kill just as well as the high priced ones but there is alot more technology that goes into the upper end making them in some cases more forgiving, faster, lighter, better draw cycles, more quality control, better strings, etc... Something to think about, how many people do you know that have shot a high end model in lines such as Mathews, Bowtech or Hoyt decided to go buy a new one after 5 years and went and bought a low or mid range bow? They always go back for that top model, if they can't afford it they usually wait til the next year. If your finances are keeping you in the mid range one bow I'd recommend you to try out is the Bowtech Assassin, you can get them as a package for $599

338 HOLES LEAVE EMPTY SOULS...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Yeah I have a Mathews Reezen right now. I've just been looking and researching to see if some of this stuff is worth the extra money or just marketing hype.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 11:58 AM

Only a guess on my part but I'm thinking it doesn't make much if any difference in shootability, etc. If it did, all the manufacturers would use one or the other. As far as cable wear, I'm in the process of changing strings on my Hoyt Trykon, 2006 manufactured w/original strings. The string has some fuzzies but the cables show no wear whatsoever through the sliders. Just keep all waxed.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 12:46 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You see those deep see rods and wonder why they have rollers instead of eyelets?

Whats the IBO of those with slide versus roller, and I guess you'd have to take the exact same bow and compare the shot between using a slide versus a roller.

RIP Tuff 98-11, So many hunts, so many good times!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

That's what I was thinking, it would be speed but IBO for the Bear method is 340! Also the charger is 325. So i'm not sure, but you are right would need to put it on the same bow.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 02:21 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Just took a look at Hoyts site. There higher end hunting bows all have rollers, then the slide is used on the others. So its a cost thing from that aspect. But then when you look at their 3d bows, they all have the sliders. So why wouldn;t a higher end 3d bow have a roller?

I'd search this topic on Archery Talk or post it, pretty sure you'll get a bunch of info.

RIP Tuff 98-11, So many hunts, so many good times!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 03:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Send a message via AIM to jlh42581

Most manufacturers are not using rollers because they cause excessive torque on the cams. If you note the martins from the year they tried it out, their traditional 60-70lb limbs went to 65lb-75lb

What I say might not be the popular trend but at least Im not afraid to speak my mind!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page