Blazer Vanes - Helical or Straight?? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Blazer Vanes - Helical or Straight??

Been shooting Blazer vanes now for several years now, and I really do like them. So far I've been building them with a straight fletch. Is there a benefit to going to a helical fletch? Which fletch should I shoot---right or left??? I'm right handed and shoot with a Rip Cord Red rest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 01:36 PM
dce
Sage

Re: Blazer Vanes - Helical or Straight??

There's a huge benefit to fletching them helical.Right helical is best.Left helical could could cause the BH to unscrew at impact.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 01:38 PM

Well shoot, I thought all vanes were supposed to be straight and helical, right or left, was a design best suited for traditional archery using feathers.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 01:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I shot straight ones for several years and still had some difficulty with fixed blade broadhead control out of extremely fast bows (330+ fps). I started fletching them with a full right helical and it made a huge difference. I wont shoot them any other way anymore. Because its a short vane, you dont get a huge amount of helical, but its enough to create alot of spin and help stabilize the arrow faster coming out of the bow.

Visit us in Harrisburg Booth 908 in the Archery Hall http://www.therackpacker.com Code:HUNTINGPA
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 02:06 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I've read a couple of articles over the past year or two on arrow stabilization. I don;t know if it was here or archery talk where there was test done on which vane of feather was the best. But it all came down to getting the arrow to stabilize as quickly as possible out of the bow. The results were quick spins and then 3 in feathers with helical for a fixed brodhead. Kind of hard to get to any helical out of regular blazer.

I shot blazers for a while, then i shot razr feathers. Saw a big diff when i was able to put some helical on the feathers. I just recently fletched a new batch of arrows with 3 in feathers with a nice right helical( right helical for right hand) and did a five foot paper tune last night. So far so good but the true test shows up on walk back tune and 40 yard shots with Grizz tricks.

If you fletch your own and got time to play, try a couple styles and sizes. My buddy couldn;t get his bow to tune with quick spins but shot fine with regular blazers.

RIP Tuff 98-11, So many hunts, so many good times!
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 02:17 PM
dce
Sage

I use an arizona EZ fletch mini for blazers and it puts a very radical helical on them.

When bows starting getting fast,the best invention to come along was a dropaway rest because it allowed you to put an aggressive helical on without having any fletching contact problems.I wouldn't even consider not using as much helical as I can get.

Right or left helical is not dependent on whether or not you shoot right or left handed.It may make a diffeence with traditional equiptmnet and glued on tips but it makes no difference with a compund because you're not shooting off the shelf.You want right helical.Left helical will spin the arrow in the opposite direction of the insert's threads.It may be a moot point but it can cause the BH to loosen on impact and you may lose some blades,depending on what BH you're shooting.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 03:54 PM

When I shot feathers I always shot a hard helical but since going to shorter vanes I have went with an offset. I still think the helical feathers shot alittle better but 9 days of rain in Colorado switched me to the plastic vanes!
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 04:58 PM

I currently shoot an arrow with a hard helical right twist on my hunting broad heads with the original 4" quick spins. They provide very accurate groups, but loose some power after 35 yards.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 05:41 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I generally will use right helical on 4 inch fletch, but i use a slight few degree right offset on a straight clamp bitzenberger when i use 2 inch blazers because of their size.

The older I get the better I was.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 11:53 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I use as much helical as I can get on my blazers. I wouldn't buy arrows with blazers already on them because there isn't enough twist. The more, the better. If you tune your bow correctly and shoot the right arrow, helical blazers won't have any problem stabilizing any fixed blade.

God Bless the USA.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page