Draw-Loc - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Draw-Loc

Okay, time for another argument with my "expert archery/ co-worker". He told me on Friday that he was going to purchase a Draw-Loc. I told him they are illegal in PA. The manual states nothing mechanical which holds the bow at full draw. He replied "that went out with crossbows. If it did not, then why are crossbows legal". I told him to read his manual a compound bow cannot have anything attached which holds the bow at full draw. He replied "that is the biggest bunch of crap I ever heard. They legalized crossbows so draw-locs are legal. If what you are saying is true, which you are totally wrong!!!, the PGC is the most "messed up" organization ever. They are not that dumb. I am ordering the Draw-loc tomorrow."
The way I read the manual, Draw-locs are not legal in PA, I am correct???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 01:14 PM

Re: Draw-Loc

Draw locs are currently not legal in Pa. There was language proposed to make them legal at a BOC meeting last year but it was tabled to no cloud the upcoming crossbow vote.

If crossbows are approved for continued use in archery season, the will be language again proposed to make draw locs legal. Most likely at the April meeting.

There are two defintions of a bow currently in Pa. Neither are applicable to Draw Loc. It is hoped the language will be streamlined to include all three as one soon.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 02:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I really don't see the benefit. I get the idea but I would hate to walk around the woods or sit in my stand with my bow at full draw. It would be too big and cumbersome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 01:46 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

With a shoulder injury starting to affect my shooting as well as age starting to catch up to me, I have been researching info on a draw loc as well as window shopping for a crossbow. A draw loc may be my answer to extend my hunting with a regular bow for a few more years or more. It seems it would be easier to hang or maneuver a vertical bow from a tree stand over a cocked crossbow in a portable tree stand.

I need to do more research on the draw loc, as I never have read to much about people's experiences that have used them.

Does anyone know if it is legal to use a draw loc in PA if a disablity permit is in your posession?

UNITED WE STAND! NRA LIFE MEMBER
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahoytman
Does anyone know if it is legal to use a draw loc in PA if a disablity permit is in your posession?
I do not believe so. With crossbow inclusion, disability permits are no longer recognized during archery seasons. The Draw Loc is currently not a legal device. I am having ongoing discussions to get the draw loc legalized when crossbow inclusion gets final approval. The definition of a bow must be tweaked to include them as a legal device.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 09:57 PM

Isn't a compound with a Draw Loc basically a crossbow held vertically?

With crossbows legal, if you have a physical problem and can't draw a compound, just get a crossbow that's designed that way.

I haven't used one, but I'm making an educated guess that a compound bow designed to be drawn and fired "normally" will not perform as well with some kind of add-on device.

If you can't use a compound for whatever reason, with the PA regulations as they are today, there is ZERO reason not to trade it in or sell it on ATA and get a crossbow.

A closed mind keeps the truth out
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 10:19 PM

I much prefer a vertical bow from a treestand and a ground blind. Many times the trunk inteferes with a potential shot. And having done alot of blind hunting last spring filming turkey hunts, the width of the crossbow has the camera guy being really careful where those limbs are going at the shot. $5000 cameras being hit with a crossbow limb equals bad news.

One other thing, a typical compound outfitted with a draw loc will be much lighter than your average crossbow.

Basically, the draw loc has it uses for those that want to use it.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 10:49 PM
Sage

They are not legal. Posted the vote from last April in another post on tyhis about a month ago in The Reg's forum. The issue was voted on and did not pass.

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 10:51 PM

Move the camera guy five feet higher or lower.

I still firmly believe that a compound bow that was not intentionally engineered to be used with any device will not perform to it's full capabilities.

The engineers at Hoyt, Bowtech, Mathews, G5, Bear, PSE, and so on were provided a set of specifications and requirements, and they engineered their compound bows to meet or exceed those requirements. When you take any piece of technology outside of their specified functionality, you are just asking for problems.

If you can afford $5000 cameras, you can afford multiple stands, crossbows, or whatever else you need to do your thing, and remain within the parameters of which the equipment was designed for. A DrawLoc may work, but if you ever spoke to the guy who actually designed that bow, I'll bet he'd just shake his head. They weren't considering that in all of those computer models and simulations that will occur before actually making those components. They were assuming a human being would draw and hold the bow.

A closed mind keeps the truth out
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 10:58 PM
Sage

From the January 2011 Meeting Agenda - click below to read entire document or the portion below:

PROPOSED RULE MAKING

F. Amend 58 Pa. Code §131.2.

Commentary: The Commission is proposing to amend §131.2 by adding, amending and deleting certain definitions. The first amendment involves a reduction in the number of points required for a deer to meet the definition of an "antlered deer" in WMUs 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B and 2D. This reduction (from 4 to 3 points) is also accompanied by the elimination of consideration of brow tines as a point. This amendment will make it easier for hunters to determine the legal status of an antlered deer.

The second amendment involves the removal of two sentences from the definition of a bow. The contents of the first sentence concerns the prohibition of devices commonly known as draw-locks on bows. The Commission determined that the prohibition of this drawing aid was no longer necessary since the Commission's recent expansion in the permissive use of crossbows during archery season. The contents of the second sentence were deemed redundant to similar language recently added to §141.43 (relating to deer) and are therefore no longer necessary.

The remaining amendments involve the removal of three redundant and outdated definitions as well as the addition of two definitions to aid in the implementation of the act.

Page 33 of the PDF

Next page:

Bow - In addition to the definition in section 102 of the act, a device for launching an arrow, which derives its propulsive energy solely from the bending and recovery of two limbs. The energy used to propel the arrow may not be derived from another source. The limitations may not exclude the mechanical leverage advantage provided by eccentric wheels or cams so long as the available energy in the bent limbs of the bow are the sole result of a single, continuous and direct pulling effort by the shooter. [A track, trough, channel or other device capable of mechanical holding the bow at full or partial draw may not be attached to the bow.] The bowstring shall be drawn, held and released as a direct and conscious action of the shooter. Release shall be accomplished by either relaxing the tension of the fingers or triggering the release action of a held release aid. [A bow shall have a peak draw weight not less than 35 pounds.]

This was the proposal.

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page