High (or higher) FOC Arrows - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2020, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

High (or higher) FOC Arrows

Anyone try building slightly or a lot higher FOC (front of center) arrows?

Your thoughts?

GOBBLE THIS!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2020, 03:48 PM

Don`t know if you would consider it building an arrow, but I shoot Easton Hexx 400`s`with a 7.2 GPI rating and a 6mm shaft instead of the lighter alum. inserts, I install the heavier brass H-break off inserts that can be adjusted to 75 or 50 grains for heavier FOC. I use the 75 gr. and top it with a 100 grain hunting broadhead. This set up works well for me shooting my Hoyt @ 63 LBS draw weight.

I like the extra weight on the front end, it seems to hit harder and gives me a good pass through as well with a well placed shot. For hunting I sight my bow in for 25 yards, this way I`m still good to 30 before it begins to drop. So if you plan on shooting a heavier FOC arrow at a farther distance they will drop faster depending on your bow and the draw weight. Hope this helps a little , Good Luck....
fall gobbler likes this.

If you don`t stand behind our Troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them....
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2020, 04:35 PM
The Man

Check this guy out, High FOC Arrow Building Basics - Ranch Fairy

He takes FOC to the extreme. No matter if you accept his theories, he's a hoot to watch:

fall gobbler likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2020, 04:43 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

For my cb foc around 20% works great. Touch arrows at 35 yards

Good luck, Stant
fall gobbler likes this.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-04-2020, 05:17 AM

I did a few years ago.

Victory VAP 300s. 125gr head and 95gr stainless outserts.

505gr and around 20% FOC. Still 270-275fps.

They fly stupid good. So many benefits. No negatives.

I'm going to play around a little bit here soon and try to bump up the FOC a bit more...just cause. Lol.

Also shooting single bevels. I just wanna make dang sure my arrow comes out. Lol.

Ranch fairy will save you a lot of time. I used ontarget to figure out my shaft....i found that over 500gr i started to loose significant speed...so that was my target. 20% FOC was another target. I wanted a micro shaft if I could.

Very happy with the VAPS.

The flight benefits are just awesome.
fall gobbler likes this.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-04-2020, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I've been watching the "Ranch Fairy" videos and that's why I brought it up. I've always leaned towards a heavier arrow with a "little" more weight in the front. These guys are taking it further and it makes a lot of sense. Penetration is ridiculous and those guys don't seem to mind the loss of speed. It's very interesting and it's got me thinking of building and testing some arrows in the 525-550 grains.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 12:43 AM

The broadhead is crazy important. You could probably get by without going to a single bevel by running a Magnus or something. Sturdy cut on contact and no crazy cut widths or anything.

When I first went to this arrow, I didn't think it was going to be stopped by a whitetail.

I decided to continue to run Grizztricks. 1 1/4" 4 blade.

I had a buck come in. I was 6-8ft high and he was within 10yds. He was working a scrape basically on the opposite side of an apple tree from me.

I don't know what happened. Maybe he moved as I sent it...maybe I hit an "invisible twig"..I don't know.

Shot was FORWARD of the shoulder but angled back. I got maybe 6-8" of penetration. I couldn't believe he ran off with that much arrow sticking out.

Long story short, I found him bedded in a field 4-6hrs after the shot. His head was swaying and he looked like he was about done. Came back the next morning and he was gone. Instant thought was someone stole him. Nope. He regained his energy and about a month later I got him on a camera.

Cursor is at the entrance. Angled down and back. Guessing it was a single lung stopped by the far shoulder.

Would I have killed him with a single bevel? I don't know. But I'm confident he would have had 2 holes in him.

I've seen slicktricks and grizztricks after encountering bone and it's not pretty. Ribs are fine. Heavy bone and back bone mangles and twists and snaps them and penetration stops. Broadhead and shaft integrity is critical. And they gotta be SHARP. And they gotta fly straight. A 700gr 30% foc arrow that isn't flying true and has some big flimsy blades still isn't going to penetrate well...

After that buck I went to single bevels. I keep a grizztrick in the quiver incase I see a turkey or coyote in season.

Same exact setup except with a single bevel...that's the exit hole. Buck was a couple yards from the base of my tree.

Come straight up the pocket on top of his back and you kinda see the entrance.

He was quartering to me hard with his head down. I put it between the left shoulder and the center line which I figured would have been a center chest exit...and it was.

Id never have taken such a shot if I wasn't confident in the setup. That's a mess of bone to get through before getting into the chest cavity. Impact was so hard the lighter nock backed out slightly and shut off.

He trotted 40yds and did the ole circle flop. The ground stopped the arrow...he took it with him and it eventually pulled out before he fell.

I actually shopped for a bow with a heavier setup in mind. I don't like pulling a ton of weight...I like a longer brace and ATA. I don't have super long arms. I'm shooting a Bowtech Insanity CPXL. The IBO is like 340 or something. Speed doesn't kill. But I do enjoy target shooting and extended ranges.
fall gobbler and SlickShot like this.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 03:55 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

My current set up has me at ~25% FOC ... I have a 300 gr insert and a 150 gr vpa head. My 3 pin set up changed a good bit due to the heavier arrows.
fall gobbler likes this.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 04:21 PM
dce
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauser06 View Post
The broadhead is crazy important. You could probably get by without going to a single bevel by running a Magnus or something. Sturdy cut on contact and no crazy cut widths or anything.

When I first went to this arrow, I didn't think it was going to be stopped by a whitetail.

I decided to continue to run Grizztricks. 1 1/4" 4 blade.

I had a buck come in. I was 6-8ft high and he was within 10yds. He was working a scrape basically on the opposite side of an apple tree from me.

I don't know what happened. Maybe he moved as I sent it...maybe I hit an "invisible twig"..I don't know.

Shot was FORWARD of the shoulder but angled back. I got maybe 6-8" of penetration. I couldn't believe he ran off with that much arrow sticking out.

Long story short, I found him bedded in a field 4-6hrs after the shot. His head was swaying and he looked like he was about done. Came back the next morning and he was gone. Instant thought was someone stole him. Nope. He regained his energy and about a month later I got him on a camera.

Cursor is at the entrance. Angled down and back. Guessing it was a single lung stopped by the far shoulder.

Would I have killed him with a single bevel? I don't know. But I'm confident he would have had 2 holes in him.

I've seen slicktricks and grizztricks after encountering bone and it's not pretty. Ribs are fine. Heavy bone and back bone mangles and twists and snaps them and penetration stops. Broadhead and shaft integrity is critical. And they gotta be SHARP. And they gotta fly straight. A 700gr 30% foc arrow that isn't flying true and has some big flimsy blades still isn't going to penetrate well...

After that buck I went to single bevels. I keep a grizztrick in the quiver incase I see a turkey or coyote in season.

Same exact setup except with a single bevel...that's the exit hole. Buck was a couple yards from the base of my tree.

Come straight up the pocket on top of his back and you kinda see the entrance.

He was quartering to me hard with his head down. I put it between the left shoulder and the center line which I figured would have been a center chest exit...and it was.

Id never have taken such a shot if I wasn't confident in the setup. That's a mess of bone to get through before getting into the chest cavity. Impact was so hard the lighter nock backed out slightly and shut off.

He trotted 40yds and did the ole circle flop. The ground stopped the arrow...he took it with him and it eventually pulled out before he fell.

I actually shopped for a bow with a heavier setup in mind. I don't like pulling a ton of weight...I like a longer brace and ATA. I don't have super long arms. I'm shooting a Bowtech Insanity CPXL. The IBO is like 340 or something. Speed doesn't kill. But I do enjoy target shooting and extended ranges.

Not trying to discredit you but if you hit where that cursor is,you weren't even close to the lungs.I highly doubt two holes would have changed the outcome.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 04:24 PM
dce
Sage

What you see on the Ranch fairy has merit but he's shooting hogs,not deer.I don't believe in super light arrows,especially when used with mechanicals but I want a single pin that's good to as close to 30 yards as I can get.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page