3Likes
  • 1 Post By Hittingguru
  • 1 Post By Pa.Bone
  • 1 Post By jumrobe

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Need help with back tension release

I just got a Scott longhorn hunter release and I have never used a back tension release before. I can’t get any information about how to use it, more specifically I don’t know how to hook it to my bow to draw or anything. I have tried the internet but I really can’t find help for the absolute beginner. If anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it. I’m really surprised at how hard it is to figure out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 10:11 AM
Part of the Community

Put index finger in the top. Put middle & ring fingers in the bottom. Attach the small hook on to the string. The draw using only your back muscles. The release should autto release at a proper full draw. If you don't use your back muscle properly, the relese will not stay hooked to the string & will release early. Warning: Be prepared to have your hand & release punch you in the face until a proper draw becomes a habit.

https://www.asatcamo.com/ Use Coupon Code - "McArthur" for an additional 10% off your order.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 12:26 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Here are 2 you-tube videos. The first one is George Ryals (Griv) and he is one of the top coaches in the world- runs the Archery Learning Center in Georgia. The second one is pretty good too.

With a hinge release, a thumb trigger release, and even a index trigger release, you can shoot all of these with "back tension".. The term "back tension" is used to denote that you are not punching the trigger, nor are you snapping the hinge over, to release the arrow, but rather you are using continual pressure applied in a backward motion while you relax your index finger (in the case of thumb trigger and hinge releases) or your hand causing the release to travel forward and hence fire.

First and foremost-- get a piece of D-loop material, or even venetian blind cord to practice. The hinge has a "sear" in it that has to be set prior to using the release each time you shoot.

Asajoe1 likes this.

Wishing I was at camp!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 05:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Bryan I also shoot a longhorn hunter and here is a good video from Levi Morgan using a Scott Longhorn Pro Brass. What he doesn't show is attaching hinge to your D loop, but pay attention at his hand position at full draw with the practice string. Once you hook the release to your string your hand should be in the horizontal position so your looking at your knuckles with your thumb on the peg. Keep your thumb on the peg with pulling and slightly keep wrist twisted inward, this will keep it from going off with pulling. As you pull you rotate your hand so your pinky will be up and knuckles are against face in the anchor position. Now remove your thumb from the peg, this will cause the release to start to roll back and may even get you on your clicker which is .010 on a Scott Hunter. Now focus entirely on the target as you slowly squeeze your back muscles until the release goes off. Your not going to learn a back tension release overnight and like HittingGuru said practice with a piece of d loop material or string to get the feel of it and Good Luck.

Hittingguru likes this.

The older I get the better I was.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 07:11 AM

Those videos should help you get the basics down. Remember, you must allow the pin to float until the release fires. Don't force the pin back to center, your subconscious will keep centering the pin until the release fires.

The hardest thing to teach people is the pin should not dictate when the release is fired.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 08:49 AM
New Arrival

I would second learning to operate the release on a draw string or something similar before hooking it to your bow and trying to shoot. A second thing to remember, when drawing, you want to focus on using your index and thumb to prevent the release from rotating as you draw and potentially creating a misfire.
Hittingguru likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 04:01 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRay View Post
Those videos should help you get the basics down. Remember, you must allow the pin to float until the release fires. Don't force the pin back to center, your subconscious will keep centering the pin until the release fires.

The hardest thing to teach people is the pin should not dictate when the release is fired.
Trust your eyes-- they always seek the center of a circle!

Wishing I was at camp!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page