First Time Arrow Build - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By EIGHT POINT

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

First Time Arrow Build

So, I bought myself a dozen Day Six, 300 spine arrows with 50gr half outs. I assembled and fletched them up this weekend. When I assembled the arrows, I weighed each shaft and insert individually, and did my best to match the heaviest shafts and the lightest points to try and get every arrow to be the same weight. Well, after assembly and fletching, I weighed all of the arrows with the same 100 grain field point to get an idea on weight. Well, 11/12 arrows are within 2 grains of each other (Max 523.5, Min 521.6, Avg 522.5). I can live with this variation, and don't think I'm going to see any noticeable differences in impact with any of the arrows in this batch.

However, I do have one arrow that's coming in a bit lighter than the rest at 519.9gr. I assume the fix for this when I go to shoot these arrows this weekend is to try and find a head that's a tad heavier than 100gr to bring total weight up to match the rest of the arrows that are all +/- 2gr from each other.

Is this something that's relatively common to have happen, where 1 or 2 arrows is just a tad light or a tad heavy from the rest despite trying to match heavy shafts with light points?

Last edited by jumrobe; 02-03-2020 at 02:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 03:28 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

IMO human error in shooting will out way that +/- 2 grains difference in weight.
Hittingguru, Asajoe1 and Vonfoust like this.

LIVE TO HUNT - HUNT TO LIVE
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING AND PRESERVE THE SPORT
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 03:37 PM
Frequent Contributor

Most people will never notice the difference between the really light arrow and the rest but i do similar to you. Figure out where the weight is missing and add it to the light arrow or just go with it. I highly doubt youll tell them apart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 01:02 PM

You will never get them all to be perfect! Mis-matching the light with the heavy will change your FOC but it will be so miniscule no human could tell the difference?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 01:22 PM
Part of the Community

Unless your name is levi morgan you will never notice the difference. I doubt even levi would.

dreaming is as easy as believing it's never going to end
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 05:39 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

interesting reading, is there somewhere or some books that someone could get to study on how to make your own arrows or bolts for a crossbow . thanks for any help.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 10:34 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernPotterCo View Post
interesting reading, is there somewhere or some books that someone could get to study on how to make your own arrows or bolts for a crossbow . thanks for any help.
I did a search for bare shaft crossbow bolts-- they are available online. I did a search through Lancaster Archery and did not see any bare shafts available. All the components are there (nocks, inserts, vanes, jigs, points, etc) but no bare shafts. (Unless I missed it). Given the poundage of most crossbows, and the short length of the bolt, and the initial force exerted on them, I would highly doubt that you are going to find a wide variety of spines available, but insert weight, nock configuration, tips, and vanes could be to your choice, as long as you keep to the bow specs. I am primarily a vertical bow person, but I have a crossbow. I do all my technical work (spine, shaft length, tip configuration, fletching, etc) on my vertical bow arrows for both 3D and hunting. When it comes to my crossbow, I view it the same as my .270 pump-- load it up, sight it in, and get good groups with what I have put in it. I look at it (crossbow) as a close range weapon when it's too cold to sit with a compound bow.

Wishing I was at camp!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 10:42 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Hittingguru, thanks for the information and your input. it is appreciated.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 01:24 PM

Shooting them will be more important that weighing them. Out of a dozen arrows there will be one, sometimes two, that shoot noticeably different than the rest, espessially with broadheads. Identify those rogues and switch components til they conform. If they can't be made to conform, don't use them. Turning or changing nocks or inserts usually does the trick.

Pence/Putin 2024

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page