How often do you get a new bow? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
tdd
Super Moderator

How often do you get a new bow?

Are you a "I hunt with it till it stops working" kinda guy?

Or, a "I buy a new bow every year" kinda guy?

My Hoyt Defiant is a 2016. It's far from ancient, although it's not worth much anymore with how bows depreciate.

My 2009 Bowtech Captain is darn near a fossil in the archery world, but it's a good bow. I just don't enjoy shooting it like I did before I got the Hoyt. Things just get a little smoother and quieter as gear evolves, and it's noticeable.

Anywho....

I've been contemplating things with my bows. I am starting to think of doing a 5 year cycle.

Hunt a bow 5 seasons. Get a new one. Prior primary bow becomes the back up bow. Prior secondary bow gets sold/traded/donated (as it'll be 10-ish years old and not worth much of anything). Repeat.

I'm probably also trying to rationalize a carbon riser bow, because I almost went that route on the Defiant, and each bow season when the temps start to drop, I curse myself for not doing it, because dang does that riser get COLD.

Just some idle thoughts as I relax and wait for the evening sit tonight with the rifle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 11:24 AM
New Arrival

I am a "hunt with it till it stops working" kinda guy. I still hunt with my Mathews Ultra Max I purchased in 1999. Shoots great and only had to replace the string a few times. Can't fathom spending $1000+ for a new bow only to have the "latest technology". When it breaks I have my PSE pro shop model from 1993 as a back-up.
Juniata4ever and Mussgrass like this.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
tdd
Super Moderator

Yeah I won't buy current year bows anymore, when closeouts of brand new "last year's model" bows are quite a bit cheaper and offer much of what the newest models offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 11:32 AM

I usually end up buying one or two bows every year. My main hunting bow is almost 40 years old, still shoots where I want it to😉
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 11:40 AM

My 2008 Hoyt Katera XL still works. I went to the bow shop and shot some new bows. Shrugged my shoulders and walked out. Nothing really wowed so much that I would be willing to part with $1200+. Maybe next year I'll get something new.
Im not seeming much progression from 2008 until today. Maybe a little quieter and minimal speed increases where brace height was been sacrificed for speed.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 11:48 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The last bow I bought was in 2015 and it was used, Elite Synergy 35. I like the bow, still shoots smooth and accurate but this summer I may shop around. The problem is bows dont hold their value. I could spend 1K on a nice gun and more than likely get back what I paid for it, bow's, not so much.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
tdd
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2CDeer View Post
The last bow I bought was in 2015 and it was used, Elite Synergy 35. I like the bow, still shoots smooth and accurate but this summer I may shop around. The problem is bows dont hold their value. I could spend 1K on a nice gun and more than likely get back what I paid for it, bow's, not so much.
Oh agreed completely. I got my Defiant as new and current model because I was a bonehead and dinged up my Captain's limbs on a stand. I needed a bow and needed it now to get back in the fight, so to speak.

But....

That bow that hangs there for 1200 bucks suddenly becomes an $800 bow when the next year's version hits the market.

Then it starts to get a bit more palatable.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 01:21 PM

I have a 2013 Elite I was planning to hold onto indefinitely but I bent a cam on it and I am going to try to get it replaced as soon as I can drive 3 hours to the nearest Elite dealer.

Picked up a Triax for emergency use this year, and I've been wavering if I like it enough to keep it. I am really interested in the new Bowtechs but I don't think I wanna drop the coin. May look into something else used. Feel like I'd have to buy from someone I trusted, I am a little gun shy of the innernet market on used bows, feel like it is too easy to get ripped off.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 01:29 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Im a use it until it breaks. Never was into buying the latest and greatest of anything. If it works no point in buying another one.
RacksnQuacks and Juniata4ever like this.

4B
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 01:49 PM

My 1st couple bows where wooden Martin compounds. I have an old Ben Pearson compound that I think I bought in the early 90's. I bent the cam in 2010 and was going to replace it in 2011. My son turned 10 that year and decided he wanted to archery hunt so I put off buying a new bow. I bought him a crossbow and didn't archery hunt alone again until 4 years ago. I used the crossbow the last 4 years. I am definitely getting a new/used compound next year. I can't put it off any longer. We bought my son his 1st compound as well. All of my largest buck were shot with a compound.

If you look at the age of my bows I am a "keep it till it stops working guy"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page