New Bow Recommendation - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

New Bow Recommendation

Ok. I know this question gets asked a lot.

I will make a long winded post as short as I can. Since my kids started hunting I have been hunting with a crossbow since we all can use the same couple of crossbows. Now since they are all but 1 hunting on their own, I have been hunting more by myself especially this year. This has allowed me to start to be more mobile. Carrying a crossbow to a preset stand isn't bad, but with stand on your back hunting carrying a crossbow just plainly sucks.

So I am looking at going back to a compound bow for next season. Not looking for the top of the line, but just want a good bow and a company that has good customer service. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I haven't really followed the vertical market to know what is good.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 10:13 PM
Frequent Contributor

Id check the classifieds on here,archerytalk, or craigslist.. Pick up a year or two old top of the line bow for HUNDREDS less.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 10:11 AM
The Man

If you are looking to buy new with reasonable cost, go PSE. Dealers are everywhere and cost is less than the big 3, but you really need to shoot different bows to find the one that fits you best.
cspot and JJ4D like this.

I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 10:13 AM
Frequent Contributor

Martin archery. Quality company and outstanding customer service.
cspot and Liplet like this.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 11:18 AM

Look into the middle price range Hoyts, such as the Powermax, or a Hoyt Charger, they are every bit as good as the higher priced Hoyts and a lot of other brands out there as well. I am 72 and have had my Hoyt Charger now for 4 years, I purchased it new back in 2015, It draws very smooth for me at 62lbs with no problem,it is short enough for tree stand use and light enough to carry. I have shot a 8pt or better every year with it so far. Good Luck Craig on whatever compound you decide on and good luck the kids as well this season.....
cspot likes this.

If you don`t stand behind our Troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them....
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 02:57 PM

I have a Mathews Drenalin that is ten years old and just as deadly and accurate as it was when new. It was an unsold model from the year before, I bought it when my Mathews FX had a cracked limb and it was November 9th, 2009....I needed a bow now. I switched most of the gear from my old bow to my new bow at the shop and was dialed in at 20 yards in 20 minutes. I left the old FX there for limb replacement. Mathews replaced my limbs for free because I was the original purchaser of the bow, lifetime warranty on them at the time, not sure if it still is today. The FX hangs around ready as a back up to this day, I bought it new in 2000 to go to Maine on a bear hunt.

I don't think you can go wrong with most of them, I have had great luck with two Mathews bows for about the last 20 years, well built, good warranty service, they shoot very well, cost is relative on any of these newer bows too.
cspot likes this.

Sadly most of my life has been wasted, but the rest I spent hunting, fishing, and trapping...
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 05:02 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buk_Huntir View Post
If you are looking to buy new with reasonable cost, go PSE. Dealers are everywhere and cost is less than the big 3, but you really need to shoot different bows to find the one that fits you best.
I'm hearing a lot of good things about their Evolve cams.
cspot likes this.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 07:33 AM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewsMan85 View Post
I’d check the classifieds on here,archerytalk, or craigslist.. Pick up a year or two old top of the line bow for HUNDREDS less.
I agree with this 100%.

It's what I did last year. I picked up a Bowtech Prodigy, I think it was their flagship bow a few years ago. Got it in great condition for under $400 shipped, which compared to new top of the line bows, feels like a steal. I can't describe how great it shoots, but I was coming from mid 90s technology.

While setting up my bow, my tech at LAS was being pretty critical of lots of the marketing jargon and such on the recent bows. That, combined with how great it shot after the tune made me a believer in buying used.

I think compound bow technology has gotten like automobiles. All the leaps and bounds advancement is done; now they market unnecessary technology, added safety features, and some manufacturers don't even advertise specs, they just play off emotions. Bows seem the same.
cspot likes this.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 09:59 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Look into Diamond or Bear compounds.
cspot and JJ4D like this.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter Co. Joe View Post
Look into Diamond or Bear compounds.
I bought the Diamond Carbon Cure 5 years ago for around $750 with the RAK package at Cabelas. I love it, have had no issues with it. I did put custom strings on it as well as a drop away rest (AAE DOA) and carbon sights. The bow weighs less than 4.5bs, and shoots great. I've shot most of the new bows out right now and while they are nice, they are not nice enough to get me to make a change.
cspot likes this.

Previously JJ5C

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page