The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

New Bow Recommendation

2K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  dce 
#1 ·
Ok. I know this question gets asked a lot.

I will make a long winded post as short as I can. Since my kids started hunting I have been hunting with a crossbow since we all can use the same couple of crossbows. Now since they are all but 1 hunting on their own, I have been hunting more by myself especially this year. This has allowed me to start to be more mobile. Carrying a crossbow to a preset stand isn't bad, but with stand on your back hunting carrying a crossbow just plainly sucks.

So I am looking at going back to a compound bow for next season. Not looking for the top of the line, but just want a good bow and a company that has good customer service. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I haven't really followed the vertical market to know what is good.

See less See more
#8 ·
I agree with this 100%.

It's what I did last year. I picked up a Bowtech Prodigy, I think it was their flagship bow a few years ago. Got it in great condition for under $400 shipped, which compared to new top of the line bows, feels like a steal. I can't describe how great it shoots, but I was coming from mid 90s technology.

While setting up my bow, my tech at LAS was being pretty critical of lots of the marketing jargon and such on the recent bows. That, combined with how great it shot after the tune made me a believer in buying used.

I think compound bow technology has gotten like automobiles. All the leaps and bounds advancement is done; now they market unnecessary technology, added safety features, and some manufacturers don't even advertise specs, they just play off emotions. Bows seem the same.

#5 ·
Look into the middle price range Hoyts, such as the Powermax, or a Hoyt Charger, they are every bit as good as the higher priced Hoyts and a lot of other brands out there as well. I am 72 and have had my Hoyt Charger now for 4 years, I purchased it new back in 2015, It draws very smooth for me at 62lbs with no problem,it is short enough for tree stand use and light enough to carry. I have shot a 8pt or better every year with it so far. Good Luck Craig on whatever compound you decide on and good luck the kids as well this season.....

Reactions: cspot
#6 ·
I have a Mathews Drenalin that is ten years old and just as deadly and accurate as it was when new. It was an unsold model from the year before, I bought it when my Mathews FX had a cracked limb and it was November 9th, 2009....I needed a bow now. I switched most of the gear from my old bow to my new bow at the shop and was dialed in at 20 yards in 20 minutes. I left the old FX there for limb replacement. Mathews replaced my limbs for free because I was the original purchaser of the bow, lifetime warranty on them at the time, not sure if it still is today. The FX hangs around ready as a back up to this day, I bought it new in 2000 to go to Maine on a bear hunt.

I don't think you can go wrong with most of them, I have had great luck with two Mathews bows for about the last 20 years, well built, good warranty service, they shoot very well, cost is relative on any of these newer bows too.

#10 ·
I bought the Diamond Carbon Cure 5 years ago for around $750 with the RAK package at Cabelas. I love it, have had no issues with it. I did put custom strings on it as well as a drop away rest (AAE DOA) and carbon sights. The bow weighs less than 4.5bs, and shoots great. I've shot most of the new bows out right now and while they are nice, they are not nice enough to get me to make a change.

#13 ·
The only way to know is go to different shops and shoot different bows. I swore I would never own a Mathews, but when my Bowtechs kept going through limbs. I went and shot A Triax. It was the smoothest bow I ever shot. This year I wanted a longer axle to axle as I’m 6’6”. I went to the Traverse. What’s good for me certainly might not be good for you.

#14 ·
I've shot Mathews,Hoyt,Bowtech and Elite for the past 30 years.All were good but I just like the grip and feel of Every Hoyt bow I've ever had.Every spring I change the string and cable and I never have to touch a thing the rest of the year.I'm still shooting a 2014 Hoyt carbon spyder and haven't seen or shot anything that made me want to switch.Shoot a bunch and go from there.I actually bought an Elite impulse in 2018.I tried to like it but I ended up hating it.I shot a deer with it opening day,sold it to my buddy and kept using the spyder.

#15 ·
I had a pse Dakota a decade ago, my brother ran over it with his f250. Called pse they said send it in we'll fix it, no charge. They replaced a limb, axel, cam and mebey some other stuff, sent it back. That was a mid level bow, not a top of the line bow, it was damaged, not defective, and they fixed it anyway.

#17 ·
I bought a 2019 Mathews Vertix with 3 weight modules from a fellow on ArcheryTalk for $700. He bought it and decided a month later to switch to the Traverse. It had about 20 shots through it. I was even able to register it with Mathews as the original owner. I've been shooting Mathews since 1999 and I really like them. Prio to that, I shot PSE. My PSE Mach 4 did not disappoint either.

#18 ·
Well due to unplanned circumstances i bought a new bow last week. I had a little incident while lowering my bow last Wednesday which resulted in me needing a new bow. It took some searching but i found a NIB '19 Prime CT5 in north jersey on sale. Picked it up friday, tuned it Saturday morning and was able to hunt Saturday evening. This CT5 is even more rock solid than my Impact. The pin float is almost nonexistent. New '20 Primes are due to be released today.

#19 ·
Moved to a Mathews Z7 back in 2011 and never looked back. When I went to pick it up they guys had me fire one test shot in their indoor range, and made one adjustment on the sight. Try again - center bull. Try one more to make sure, tore the fletching off the one in the bull. Small enough, light enough, and a great shooter. Zero issues. Just been a great bow for me.

#20 ·
If you ask what kind of truck you should buy, you'll hear many different stories of why X is the best and Y and Z are horrible, and X, Y, and Z will change around depending on who you talk to. Bows nowadays flat out shoot most guys' ability. The best thing you can do is shoot many different brands and bows. Decide what bows you like best, you'll probably find several things in common with those you like. Note the dimensions/style/cam design, that's your preference. Don't worry about the name on the bow, worry more about the shop you buy it from for continued service. If you really enjoy it, in a few years get equipped to work on them yourself, it isn't difficult and it's fun to tinker. Oh and to answer your question: I love my Darton Spectre Es that I got this season. Finally replacing my old Strother Wraths that I have had since 2012, after going through many different brands - obession/elite/new breed/bowtech while searching for my replacement.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.