Single pin vs Three Pin Sight - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Single pin vs Three Pin Sight

I've used a very basic 3-pin sight since I started bowhunting 10 years ago. Decided to switch it out this year with some other upgrades to my bow.

I hunt in the woods where ethical shots at deer will be no more than 40 yards, and I've had my 3-pin sight set at 20, 30, and 40 yards.

Would a simpler 1-pin sight work for this type of hunting, or am I better off with 3?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 04:22 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I don`t archery hunt that much but , I would stay at three for peace of mind for an ethical shot unless you feel comfortable at shooting with one pin, if you shot that way at all. what ever way you feel comfortable shooting
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 06:16 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I shoot three pin exactly as you describe, 20, 30, 40.

Will use an experience from yesterday to illustrate why I shoot 3 pin.

Had a doe come in on my off side. she was followed by two more mature doe and 2 young of the year. Any of the 3 mature were a viable target. At first it was the lead doe because she moved to a spot that I had previously ranged. With a single pin, I more than likely would have had it set to that distance.

The two young'uns were milling around below me, taking turns popping their heads up looking for danger, (which was very close to them).

The other two mature doe took turns turning broadside, quartering away, offering a good shot but then not. Had I been using a single pin, each time I changed primary targets, an adjustment to that sight would have had to have been made.

Now I am a "seasoned hunter" who has had a fair number of encounters with deer up close and personal. My number one thing to concentrate on when deer are near, is when to stand and draw my bow. You don't always see them coming until they are on top of you. I don't need one more thing to be thinking about at that moment.

However, with all of that said, my son switched to a single pin and has told me he feels it improved his shooting.

Think about your hunting situation, how comfortable you are in the moment, and decide what is right for you.

Good luck with your decision.
flintlock hunter likes this.

I prefer my kid hunt and fish rather than steal and deal,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 08:24 AM
New Arrival

Maybe consider a 2 pin set up. I shoot a .029 pin for 20 yard and a .19 pin for 40 yard. At 30 yards just have to aim a hair high with 20 yard pin. Eliminates a little pin clutter plus the smaller pin at 40 helps me aim smaller at that distance.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 09:32 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I like a .010 single pin with a 2 inch housing and 1/4 peep for deer hunting. The 2 inch housing gives me a larger field of view around the deer and 6 feet of fiber optics that makes the pin super bright. Single pins aren't for everyone and they take some practice and knowing your bow.
Hittingguru likes this.

The older I get the better I was.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcob View Post
Maybe consider a 2 pin set up. I shoot a .029 pin for 20 yard and a .19 pin for 40 yard. At 30 yards just have to aim a hair high with 20 yard pin. Eliminates a little pin clutter plus the smaller pin at 40 helps me aim smaller at that distance.
I like that idea because there is very little distance between my 20 and 30 yard pins and could probably get away with a 2-pin set up at 25 and 40. But where the heck do you find a 2-pin sight? 3-pin are hard to find anymore...
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 03:00 PM

You simply remove one of the pins from a three pin sight to make a two pin sight. When I still shot a compound I came to prefer single pin. For me it was because in the moment I didn’t want want to worry which pin to use. I practiced a lot, at various ranges. I got to the point where it became instinct where that pin should be without having to range or guess. Inside 40 yards it’s pretty easy once it becomes second nature. I have since switched to traditional bows, but my single pin style served me very well when transitioning to instinctive shooting.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 03:11 PM
Frequent Contributor

Back when bows were below 280fps I shot a pendulum sight. First a keller then a savage. Loved shooting pendulums. 0-30 yards hold on and nail them. After getting a faster bow I went to a 3 pin trophy ridge vertical sight. But found myself only really relying on one pin for hunting. So I switched to a one pin adjustable.
Now I set that pin for 28 yards and shoot that way all summer. Im good from 10 to 32 yards with that setting. My longest shots on deer in the woods have been 36.5 yards and 37.5. I would say every other shot on deer over the 38 years is under 25 yards. I really dont have anything to think about inside of 30 other then my aim, release and follow thru. If its under 20 I just hold lower half of the body.
The last and longest shot at 37.5 I had time to range adjust sight and shoot. Pretty rare that Ive had to adjust. One pin has simplified things for me. Go with what makes you the most comfortable.
loridr likes this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 05:04 PM

I shoot a single pin and keep it set around 23yds, I'm good from 10-30yds. Anything over 30 yds I'll adjust accordingly. If I don't have time to adjust my site and take my time I don't shoot.
NECK SHOT likes this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 11:51 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter8319 View Post
I shoot a single pin and keep it set around 23yds, I'm good from 10-30yds. Anything over 30 yds I'll adjust accordingly. If I don't have time to adjust my site and take my time I don't shoot.
Same concept, I set my single pin for 25yards. im good from 10-35 yards.

I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page