What's a good rangefinder? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

What's a good rangefinder?

I'm thinking of getting a nice rangefinder mainly for practice, out plinking, and to verify distances as I learn to range with a mil-dot reticle.
I'm starting my research here now, but I thought I'd ask around here too.
Any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 06:25 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have a nikon 500 archery RF and it has been good to me for last 5 years.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 07:49 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have a 6 power, to much for close, fine after 70 yards, wish I had a 4 power.

Stant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 08:32 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

I'm on my 2nd Leica. I only sold the first because I saw a great buy on one with more features and a longer reach.

Very pleased with Leica's RF's.

The Sig Kilo line has gotten some great reviews, too. I haven't handled one, but they are being well received by customers.

Keep in mind.... MOST rf's will state a max distance, and you need to cut that in half for anything but a highly reflective target (road sign, house, etc). Leica tends to be more capable of hitting non reflective targets at stated distances than most. Not sure where the Sig stands in that regard.

So when you see an 800 yard RF, plan on 400 for it's reach on non reflective targets. Just FYI.

I would also not put a big premium on angle measurement. For bowhunting, and even most PA rifle hunting distances, it isn't steep enough/long enough of a shot to make much difference.
Marcus99 likes this.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 10:24 PM

I just returned recently from a prairie dog hunt in S D and I was ranging PD with no problem past 700 yards with Sig kilo 2200. My buddy was using a Leica but he probably paid $500 more then I did for the sig.

Life Member NRA
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 11:31 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Interesting.

I paid $400 for my Leica 2000b. I've hit targets beyond 2000 with it.

huntin-nut likes this.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 09:53 AM

Since this is posted in the ARCHERY thread I will chime in with 2 that I have used. Opti-logic and Halo XRT-7, both work well at ranges you would need for bow hunting and with coupons and being on sale both under $100. Also, being an experienced 3-d shooter and bowhunter there are several instances where the angle compensation is needed!

Last edited by Asajoe1; 07-14-2019 at 09:56 AM.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 10:50 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

They would be very specific circumstances and longer distances.

I've had angle finding RF's and have looked purposely for situations where the angle of the shot made for a effective difference that would make or break a hunting shot. I really never found any...high stands, steep hills, I never found anything under 40 yards where it would have really mattered. I'm sure some folks hunt steeper terrain....but it'd have to be real steep or your shots real long.

As for why we're including non-archery features...it seems to make sense to buy an RF that can pull all types of duty one might as of it. Having a very short range capable RF is fine if you ONLY hunt with a bow.

And there are more uses of an RF than planning a shot. I use mine a lot to make sure I can find the exact spot an animal was when I took my shot. Take the shot, game takes off....range the spot it stood, get some land marks. Go over there and everything looks different. Is that white rock the one I was looking at, or is it that one over there?

I'll actually take a compass bearing (use my phone if I don't have a compass), then a range. Go down there, get on the right bearing, get to the right distance (by ranging back to my stand/spot), and I'm in the right spot. I use this as much, or more, for rifle hunting, than I do for bow hunting actually, especially if the animal was out in a field. It's near impossible to get the exact spot of the animal when shot when it was out in a field...but with a compass bearing and range, you're gonna get that spot.

Back to the angle thing for moment...I will range trees at my height so as to remove the angle issue. Sometimes for kicks while things are slow, I'll range the marker trees high at my height, then again at their base. I've never found much inside 40 yards where it was off by more than a yard. Maybe 2.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 11:24 PM
Part of the Community

Vortex makes a great rangefinder.
bohunr, Pa Teeny and blackpowder like this.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 11:26 PM

Love my Leica. I have heard good things about Sig too.
bohunr likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page