Bow maintenance - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By elk yinzer

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Bow maintenance

How many do their own bow maintenance? On my compound bows I have always replaced my own strings/cables, installed peeps, sights, knocking points, loops, checked tiller, checked for wheel/cam wobble etc.

I still shoot aluminum arrows as I have enough to last my life time and they still work. Therefore I have always bought bare shafts and installed inserts, nocks and vanes. I check for FOC, arrow/broadhead straightness and do paper to walk back testing as well as other test and adjustment to get the best groups I can get. I sharpen my own broad heads, number each of my arrows and shoot them to determine which one shoot where and then make adjustment as necessary get them all to group the same.

I weigh all my arrow component and the final completed arrow to get them as close as possible to the exact same weight.

I am surprise as to the large number of archers and hunters I know as very.....very few of them do this work themselves which surprises me as it does not take a magic wand.... just some of the right equipment and a little time. Over time it is quite a cost savings and I feel I have contributed more to my success when it does happen.

Do you do this work yourself?

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 01:05 PM

I starting building all my own arrows and enjoy doing that. Bow work, I've never felt like dropping the dime on a press. If I felt the cost/benefit were there I would. I don't know if bows of old were different but it seems todays bows are dang near maintenance free. Maybe I need to knock on wood, but since I bought my Elite in 2013 after the initial setup it hasn't needed touched, until this offseason I finally need to get new strings on it. I'm not a tuning perfectionist but I think I am a lot more in tune than most shooting fixed heads out to elk killing distances.
Born2Hunt likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 01:56 PM
dce

I buy raw shafts and make my own arrows and do everything else that doesn't require a press.I used to have a press and did everything myself until the parallel limb bows came out.I just never sprung for a new press.My buddy has a new press and a draw board so I just take it over to his house now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 01:23 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

One day I hope to be that dedicated. At this point, if I have deadly groups I'm not concerned and if I need work I go to Lancaster Archery. They do good work fast and I've never been charged for anything other than the item purchased. I don't know any bow techs well enough that I would feel comfortable asking for help and don't trust myself working on my most prized possession - so I leave it to the pros. I haven't missed a deer since my first year in the woods (without a rangefinder) and haven't yet crippled one, so no need to count grams just yet.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 07:22 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have all the tools and an indoor range in my basement. I set up a lot of bows and make arrows for friends and family. I like to tinker with my bows and super tune them especially my bow I use for indoors. Most bows don't have to be perfectly tuned to shoot well and I would say most hunters are happy with the groups they shoot. I think the main thing to look at to see if your bow needs tuned for optimal performance on a binary cam is to check your factory specs especially your axle to axle length. As your strings and cables wear your axle to axle will increase and your brace height will decrease and you will notice the let off and valley will not feel the same as it did when it was new and may even feel like if you let up a little the bow wants to take off. You really need a press and draw board to get it back to specs, and its just a matter of twisting your cables and string until you achieve the correct ATA, brace height, correct poundage with limbs bottomed out and cams in time.

The older I get the better I was.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 05:26 PM

I have done a lot of my own work for 30 years. I love working a experimenting with my own setups. Now I have a past paralell Hoyt and need to purchase a good bow press now that my bowmaster bowpress won’t work on these models.

Concept Archery Shooter.....99% Letoff
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

I used a Master Bow Stress cable type for years until I got my last compound bow in 2005 and found I needed a different bow press. I purchased a ratchet-Loc portable type bow press partially because I can take it along when I travel to hunt a few states over a period of time.

I made that decision because several years ago I accidentally cut a few strands on my string as I awkwardly attempted to put an arrow with a broad head in position to knock the arrow. Dumb and it ended my hunt for a day and I was very lucky to find a shop and to be able to negotiate a quick fix.

For a few years I carried a back up bow, now I just carry an extra string and the portable press with some accessories on trips. I removed one of my sets of cable and strings while it was still in very good condition to be used as a back up.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page