Rangefinders - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Rangefinders

I am considering a vortex rangefinder. Impact 850 or the ranger 1300? Does anyone have any input ?

You're the same dumb pilgrim that I been hearin' for twenty days, and smellin' for three!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 08:42 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

i have a leupold but my son has a bushnell which i like better faster time and angle comp on it i
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 10:37 PM

I have a ranger 1000 and a ranger 1500. Both of them are awesome. I've really got no complaints. A buddy dropped his 1000 from his stand and true to their word vortex replaced it no questions asked.

"live and learn, and then catch fish"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherbhuntin View Post
I have a ranger 1000 and a ranger 1500. Both of them are awesome. I've really got no complaints. A buddy dropped his 1000 from his stand and true to their word vortex replaced it no questions asked.
I need it for mainly bowhubting and I can spend 200/300 on a range finder , since you have experience with them what do you recommend? The pros and cons do not vary much one light have a red reticle ? This is the impact 850 vs ranger 1300

You're the same dumb pilgrim that I been hearin' for twenty days, and smellin' for three!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 06:18 AM

Unless your dead set on needlessly blowing money get a Bushnell. They work fine.
SlickShot and Dukehunter3 like this.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 08:41 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stetam View Post
Unless your dead set on needlessly blowing money get a Bushnell. They work fine.

Superior optics is not needlessly blowing money. I had five different range finders on the counter when choosing mine. Bushnel, Nikon, Vortex, Leica and Leupold. Narrowed down to two and asked the manager to walk me outside the store to do a final check in natural light. The two I had were Leupold and Leica. Leica won hands down in clarity with the obviously superior glass. The Leica is so good I stopped carrying binoculars. At the distances I hunt they are perfect. Do not limit yourself to a specific dollar amount. Go with performance. You will be using your range finder for alot of years.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHMSA53393 View Post
Superior optics is not needlessly blowing money. I had five different range finders on the counter when choosing mine. Bushnel, Nikon, Vortex, Leica and Leupold. Narrowed down to two and asked the manager to walk me outside the store to do a final check in natural light. The two I had were Leupold and Leica. Leica won hands down in clarity with the obviously superior glass. The Leica is so good I stopped carrying binoculars. At the distances I hunt they are perfect. Do not limit yourself to a specific dollar amount. Go with performance. You will be using your range finder for alot of years.
The OP said he want's it for archery hunting so yeah, no need to spend big bucks when Bushnell's work fine. And by the way, my Bushnell has good optics and works well to 600 yards, and I still have money in my pocket.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 09:15 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

I also carry a Leica.

And it wasn't as pricey as most think Leica's will be.

And...for bowhunting especially....I like the Leica's illuminated display so I can range when the light is bad in the morning before it's shooting light. And the optics let me do that.

As an added endorsement, my father's old bushnell died and he wanted a new RF. I recommended a Leica and found a good deal on one at EuroOptic, which is here in PA.

He got it...and he's not keen on parting with any more funds than needed for the job at hand. And last I'd heard from him about it, he loves it.

Last edited by tdd; 01-29-2019 at 09:19 AM.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stetam View Post
A Bushnell is all you need here in Pa. you don`t need to spend over 150 for a rangefinder, most all of your shots will most likely be 100 yards or less and maybe 200 at the longest, I have a Leica CRF 2400 that I paid 500.00 for and the Bushnell that I picked up at Walmart on sale for 75 bucks and the Bushnell gives me the same distance as the Leica. Put your money on the best riflescope or Archery sights you can afford, that is where good optics will serve you the best...IMO...
flintlock hunter likes this.

If you don`t stand behind our Troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them....

Last edited by SlickShot; 01-29-2019 at 09:25 AM.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 09:26 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

To each their own... I put money into all my optics, and I don't consider PA any less worthy of good glass.

I have quality binos and quality scopes on every rifle I own. And very high visibility sights on both my bows (those HHA's are amazing in low light). We can shoot from approx 30 min prior to sunrise to 30 min past sunset. I've shot a lot of deer in those 30 minute windows that would have been tough to see or shoot without decent optics.

I carry Meopta binos and a Leica RF. I'm not made of money, but optics to me are critical components. I use my optics...all of them (except the rifle scopes) constantly. I range landmarks regularly so I know my yardages, and I'm on my binos a lot...often seeing a lot of game I would have otherwise never seen. I only put an eyeball to a rifle scope when I know there's a game animal that I'm looking at. I know others (in general) use their scopes as spotters/binos, but I refuse to do that. Only way I'm looking down a rifle scope is if I already know there's game there to be seen.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in