Advice for a new hunter looking to take up archery - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Advice for a new hunter looking to take up archery

Howdy folks! Took up rifle hunting this past year and even though I came up empty handed, I had a great time. I'm looking at extending my season this year by taking up archery and putting in the work to get where I need to be well before the season. So I'm starting my research here before I dive in.

So if you had to suggest some basic gear to start, what would you go with? To add an extra level of difficulty, I shoot lefty, so I know that limits options somewhat.

Not looking to throw down a massive amount of money (to start at least), but all suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and Happy New Year!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 02:47 PM
Part of the Community

Rain gear. Doesn't have to be fancy or heavy weight. Always dress in layers... Always... Have a backup flashlight. Yes you will forget to turn your primary off at some point and the next trip you will be happy you have a cheapo backup. A knife that has a orange/brightly colored handle. Good waterproof boots. I wear muck boots during all seasons and they are comfortable even when putting the miles on. Everyone will tell you different brands and what not and start arguments so buy what is comfortable and in budget. My uncles hunt in jeans and their work coats every year and get deer so no need to buy the Sitka every season outfit for $900 unless you can afford it.

Biggest tip I can give since I'm still a younger hunter I have to remember this too. SLOW DOWN when you're out. You will see more and enjoy the outdoors much more when slowing down and taking it all in.

There will be plenty of tips that are great and I have to many list. These are just some of mine. Enjoy every day out even it's 30, rainy, and windy. Good luck and have fun.
Baderhausen likes this.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 02:48 PM
The Man

Go to a local bow bow shop and see if they have any used ones for sale or perhaps a model that wonít break the bank. You also donít need to throw a bunch of expensive extras on it like sights and top of the line rests. Basic accessories will kill deer just fine. Get a bow with a 7 to a 7.5 brace height. The shorter brace heights will be faster but will also accentuate any flaws in your form and could result in frustration and even target panic. Make sure the shop owner sets you up properly with your draw length and has the bow paper tuned. You also donít need the poundage cranked all the way up. Have it set at whatís comfortable for you. Mines set around 62 pounds. Once you get that in order practice often to gain confidence and also to obtain muscle memory. Donít forget to practice with the broadheads you will be using. They may fly differently than what your field points do. Endless selection of broadheads to us from mechanical to fixed. Decide which works best for you and your bow because you will get a million different opinions on that subject. Good luck.
yellodog, RayRay and Baderhausen like this.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 12:52 PM

Hopefully you can find someone up your way to take you under their wing and show you some things.
What I love about archery season is the fall part of the year, certainly the most beautiful time of the year to be in the woods.
With that said, I consider my clothing the most important part of my gear other than my bow.
All my gear has either Gortex or some sort of water resistant membrane in it to keep me dry.
From my early season light weight stuff to my heavier late season camo.
You can't stay focused in a stand for long periods of time if you are not comfortable.
Make sure your clothing is quite. I like to feel the clothing I buy to see if its loud when I rub it against itself.
Buying online makes this difficult unless I know someone who can attest that I can trust. I don't trust a manufactures descriptions when it comes to quietness.
Shoot, shoot and shoot some more would be my next thing.
If you have 3D shoots in your area, that's the best way to get honed in on distance estimation and build confidence in your equipment.
Lastly, don't get caught up in buying all the gadget stuff.
Baderhausen likes this.

LIVE TO HUNT - HUNT TO LIVE
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING AND PRESERVE THE SPORT
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 01:42 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Start buying now., it'll add up! A great starter bow is the PSE Stinger RTS package ($400). They aren't super quick but they're smooth, forgiving and cheap. Get a bow as early as possible and start practicing. Some things can be bought cheap the first time knowing that you'll have a backup in the future, a bow is one of them. Then get a decent climbing stand and give it a couple climbs to get comfortable before the season. I also highly recommend getting a rangefinder right off the bat. I hunted two seasons without one and missed a couple and passed a couple because I didn't know the range. It'll also help with practicing your shooting. Then a hook or two to hang your bow and pack in the tree. Once you start getting everything together it wouldn't hurt to go through the motions once or twice - pack everything up, walk to a tree, climb and set up. It'll help you figure out where you like certain things to be packed like a bow rope and hangers for easy access, how to set up the stand quietly, what to do once you're up the tree, etc.

I started archery hunting when I was 20 at PSU (2010) and like you, started from scratch. It'll be frustrating but as you put the pieces together and find success it is one of the most rewarding hobbies out there. I'm excited for you. I see your located in Centre County, I don't really get up there anymore and would be glad to point you towards my favorite game land if it would help.

Last edited by Shiftyshad; 01-03-2019 at 01:44 PM.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thanks guys. Appreciate all the knowledge being shared. My exact thoughts were to grab the bow early this year and get comfortable with it well in advance.

And yes Shiftyshad, I would gladly take any hints at game land you are willing to throw my way. Thank you!
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 09:01 AM
Frequent Contributor

What kind of bow are you thinking about? Longbow, recurve, compound, crossbow?
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 09:12 AM

One good thing about today is that you can google everything....
Watch more than one youtube video on any one item so you can get a rounded view to answer your question.

Once you get your bow shooting well, take some measurements so you have a bases to go by for any future problems.
One set of measurements I like to keep on hand are my peep, kisser button and nock locations.
Pick a stop at the top of your bow and stretch a tape down the string noting where those items are.
If your bow starts shooting funky, simply get a tape out and see if anything moved on your string or if your string stretched.
If any of these things happened, simply reset your peep, kisser or nock points to your original locations.
If you change strings, you have a jump on where to re apply these items then you can tweak from there.
Adjust your measurements accordingly.

LIVE TO HUNT - HUNT TO LIVE
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING AND PRESERVE THE SPORT
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 09:53 AM
The Man

I will emphasize it again that the number one thing is to get the right bow for you and learn how to shoot it well.
Things like location and hunting techniques will all be for not if your equipment and your shooting ability isnít on point.
Not to mention all the tips and pointers are great but the best teacher will be your own personal experiences. I have been archery hunting for close to 25 years and I am still learning. Even things I did just a year or two ago makes me shake my head. Always keep an open mind and be prepared for a lot of ups and downs. Itís just the nature of the beast.
Baderhausen likes this.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
What kind of bow are you thinking about? Longbow, recurve, compound, crossbow?
Compound. As Shiftyshad suggested above, I've been researching bows like the PSE Stinger and the Bear Cruzer for starters. Going to make a trip over to the local archery shop early next week and talk with the folks over there as well, see what they suggest. Wanna make sure I find something comfortable that can be dialed in by a local pro who knows what they're doing.
35 whelen likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page