Advice for a new hunter looking to take up archery - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIGHT POINT View Post
Once you get your bow shooting well, take some measurements so you have a bases to go by for any future problems.
One set of measurements I like to keep on hand are my peep, kisser button and nock locations.
Pick a stop at the top of your bow and stretch a tape down the string noting where those items are.
If your bow starts shooting funky, simply get a tape out and see if anything moved on your string or if your string stretched.
If any of these things happened, simply reset your peep, kisser or nock points to your original locations.
If you change strings, you have a jump on where to re apply these items then you can tweak from there.
Adjust your measurements accordingly.
Great idea! These are little things I might initially not think about that will save a heck of a lot of time in the long run. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 10:51 AM

A lot of good advise above. I would agree start basic and don't get involved in gimmicks. Good warm/dry clothing will keep you comfortably in the woods when others will run to the house. The only camo basically needed is a hat, jacket and shirt....you can add as you go. Buy dependable safe equipment and if tree stand hunting spend some money on good dependable safety equipment and use it always.

Style points are not important. Concentrate on knowledge, scouting, shooting accuracy. Some of the most important things you can take to the woods are patience, confidence and the will to learn.

Each year you can add or delete equipment based on your personal findings.

Learn to study the wind, become scent free as possible. To be scent free does not have to be expensive. What worked for me for years is washing your dedicated hunting clothes with baking soda, hanging them outside on the line for a couple of days then storing them in a bag of leaves. Do these things and you will see deer.

Forget the TV hunting shows as you will learn virtually nothing that will apply to basic knowledge of hunting.

When it fits your budget pickup a Trail Cam or two. This will do a lot to help you locate deer and what is out there to hunt. A couple of pictures of nice bucks in your hunting area will help you get out of bed in the morning by projecting a positive outlook.

Above always keep it fun.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member

Last edited by Born2Hunt; 01-05-2019 at 06:04 PM.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 09:29 PM

Safety harness, never leave the ground without one.

9 " you want Philly Philly? "

Doug " yeah, let's do it. "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 09:47 PM

Practice, Practice, Practice.
SlickShot likes this.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 02:36 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Take a trip down to Lancaster Archery. They will help you get setup correctly and within your budget.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 03:12 PM

you will get some good advice on here about the help you need,. I would suggest after you find generally what you want to buy in terms of gear look for stuff that is on clearance, bargain outlets like Ollies,Yard Sales, Bargain Sheet, Hometown Shopper etc. It seems there are a good many people who buy Brand New stuff and use it once and at the end of the season sell it and go buy the latest and greatest the next year,

A tip for next season that you can do right now is take walks on new areas and scout as the deer and sign is still there. You don't have all the foliage, bugs, and heat as you find in the summer. Go out and pick some spots now before it greens up. I have seen fresh rubs and scrapes this past weekend so there are survivors in my areas that I hunt and it will be like this all over the state. Good luck and have fun. Also when you do kill a deer post up some pics as we all like to see them.

A squakin' turkey don't live long
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 04:31 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baderhausen View Post
Compound. As Shiftyshad suggested above, I've been researching bows like the PSE Stinger and the Bear Cruzer for starters. Going to make a trip over to the local archery shop early next week and talk with the folks over there as well, see what they suggest. Wanna make sure I find something comfortable that can be dialed in by a local pro who knows what they're doing.
Clarence Archery in Snow Shoe, good people, they’ Help you out.
Baderhausen likes this.

The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.
Where the fair wind blows.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 11:14 PM

Ebay has some great deals on top end bows right now, due to year end & new models coming out.
Once you're all set up , find someone that can give you some shooting lessons. It is easier to learn the right way than relearn.
Others have given some good advise; If using a treestand , stay connected from ground to ground. It may take a little time & money, but much better than falling & injuring yourself.
Baderhausen likes this.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 07:01 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Stand location is everything to a bow hunter, its what keeps you from getting seen and winded. A distance of ten yards a lot of times means the difference between getting a deer and not.
Dukehunter3 likes this.

The older I get the better I was.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 07:46 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

If your going to hunt out of loc on stands which is all i use,make sure you are stepping down on the stand instead of reaching your step up onto the stand eliminates the chance of kicking stand out and let someone know of your stand location your hunting that day. my son knows every time im out which stand im in and if it changes i send him a text where i am at and when i get in and when im on the ground.
Baderhausen likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page