Got to get lighter! - Page 4 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Hunt View Post
I set in my stand and make a list of the things I need for the following day's hunt of my phone's note pad and some of the factors are:

1st: Anything I did not do right in packing or needs repair for the next hunt.

Taking my ATV I can go heavy, with most anything I want as the walks are usually 100-250 yards up down or level. Camo cover for the ATV.

Very long and/or up hill walks I take my lightest climber and leave by success/kill Items in the vehicle to retrieve if/when needed.

Going to a stand on private land not hunted that year or never hunted I take cutters for branches to be removed for climbing and cut for shooting lanes. I do not clear cut the woods nor do I believe like many others do that cutting shooting lanes cause deer to panic. If there is a buck out there which can remember every broken branch, falling leave in the woods he is already smarted than me.

I believe it is very important not to leave ones scent behind while trimming and to carry the debris away from the shooting area or place them to block trails you do not want the buck to travel. Keeping some debris the buck has to walk behind is an asset to drawing the string unseen.

If using a ladder stand (Seldom) I can carry more, but only what is needed.

For all day hunts normally I carry a tree stand, bow and a backpack. The pack generally contains:

A head light and one small hand light.
2 calls.
Wind detection items.
License, latex gloves, and a zip tie zipped in a flap of the pack never to be opened until needed.
A spare ATV key and Vehicle key penned to the inside of the pack.
Safe T vest cold weather or harness warmer weather and tree belt. I often use a tree belt which has a metal band inside and can easly be slid up or down the tree while climbing.
1 flask or bottle of water. I prefer the flask which does not make cracking sounds when expanding or retracting.
3 protein bars.
Range finder.
Two pull ropes.
A small lighter-never used yet in decades of hunting.
My compound bow holder is attached to the platform of my tree stand.
My backpack has a snap clamp to attach to my carried tree stand and then my tree belt to be held in place on the back side of my tree so I do not waist time and energy screwing something in to a tree or forgetting to remove it from the tree, thus not having one the next morning at a new location.

However as well covered above I believe being in shape and keeping one body weight in line is a huge asset for carrying needed gear long and short distances. Take off that extra 15 lbs and carry 10 Lbs. more into the woods....make sense?

A 73 I work out 3 days a week 70 minutes a day with weights, if I can do it all you younger fellows can stay in shape even with 20 minutes a day or so.
I thought you were younger than that. I guess maybe you aren't as cantankerous as the other senior members on here.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page