Got to get lighter! - Page 3 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 09:40 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

More times than not I let my climber locked into the tree

Or put everything on a deer cart

You're the same dumb pilgrim that I been hearin' for twenty days, and smellin' for three!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 02:32 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittingguru View Post
Thanks guys-- I think I'll try something over the next few days- 1) load up my pack with my original gear and get and exact weight - my bow scale is pretty accurate. Then I'll start removing the items based upon your responses and see where it get to. I'll keep you posted! I will use a disclaimer that the weight of the pack would be a constant, or else I have to start all over looking for a new pack. I want my current pack lighter, not my wallet.
Realize you want to save money but,I use a Third Hand bow holder already attatched to stand.Not sure of the weight difference compared to a hook, but I hunt public 100% so I have to use it or a strap on hook, but one less thing in a pack.If your on public you are not supposed to be pruning and cutting, but I know it happens.I second the motion on scratching the pee bottle.I also bought a very small Buck knife which weighs nothing compared to the Buck 110 I was hauling in.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 02:37 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Your packing a lot of stuff. Here's my list
Bow
Knife
Drag line
Cellphone
grunt call
Bleat can
Scents sometimes
Water
Snickers Bar
Lighter
Cigars
Harness
Safety line
Flashlight

I see said the Blind Carpenter to his Deaf Helper as he picked up his Hammer and Saw!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 03:38 PM
Part of the Community

Instead of worrying about lightening the load, I'd spend more time getting myself to a fitness level in which 36lbs is no big deal. It would be better for hunting, you, and your family.
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goomstyle View Post
Instead of worrying about lightening the load, I'd spend more time getting myself to a fitness level in which 36lbs is no big deal. It would be better for hunting, you, and your family.
As a retired Health/Physical Education/Sports Medicine professional, I do my best get in shape, and 36# isn't that much- 1 day- but at 64 it gets to be a little much when you hit 25-30 days of the archery season, and many of those twice a day, and some as much as 1.5-2 miles back. But thanks, I'll take your advice.

Wishing I was at camp!
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightine View Post
Rangefinders are usually 6x so I use that for binos. In rare cases I carry binos, I wear them in.
I never could get used to using a Rangefinder like binoculars. Just me though. I wear my binos in as well, but it is still weight that you are carrying. I used to never wear binos in until I bought me a good pair one year with a harness straps. So nice to be able to check out movement that you see far out in the woods.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 05:35 PM
The Man

I donít take Binoculars with me anymore unless I am scouting before I set up. For me they just donít really seem to give me any sort of advantage other than maybe seeing a buck really far out and trying to call loud to get his attention and come my way. They seem to just get in my way and I end up glassing every little movement I see which usually ends up being a leaf or branch blowing in the wind. I have actually missed deer coming in over the years because I was bored and looking at birds and squirrels through my binoculars.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhead125 View Post
I don’t take Binoculars with me anymore unless I am scouting before I set up. For me they just don’t really seem to give me any sort of advantage other than maybe seeing a buck really far out and trying to call loud to get his attention and come my way. They seem to just get in my way and I end up glassing every little movement I see which usually ends up being a leaf or branch blowing in the wind. I have actually missed deer coming in over the years because I was bored and looking at birds and squirrels through my binoculars.
this...I'm going to quit lugging binos too.
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 09:50 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

2 pull up ropes- 1 for the bow, 1 for the pack - Ditch one regardless of stand. Pack goes on my back.
1 Lineman/tether rope for harness Climber yes - ladder, should already be in place.
1 set binos
1 rangefinder
1 cell phone charger and cable - remove
2 Hot hands
1 empty Pee bottle - remove
1 pr. pruners
1 compact saw
1 knife
1/2 roll of marking tape - Its been asked what or. Bloodtrail.
1 package of bright eyes
1 pr. gutting gloves
1 spare flashlight
1 container of face paint
1 grunt call
1 can estrus call
1 set of rattling horns (not so much first 2 weeks unless I see bucks in the area)
1 bow hook- 2 or 3 section one
3 small screw in hooks or the strap for around the tree if I'm on SGL
1 bottle of water (early season) - Remove - go off the stand.

Reality is, your pack is going to be 10-12lbs not including layers. Look for a lighter stand.

Bowhunting IS life...The rest is just details!
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 01:03 PM

I set in my stand and make a list of the things I need for the following day's hunt of my phone's note pad and some of the factors are:

1st: Anything I did not do right in packing or needs repair for the next hunt.

Taking my ATV I can go heavy, with most anything I want as the walks are usually 100-250 yards up down or level. Camo cover for the ATV.

Very long and/or up hill walks I take my lightest climber and leave by success/kill Items in the vehicle to retrieve if/when needed.

Going to a stand on private land not hunted that year or never hunted I take cutters for branches to be removed for climbing and cut for shooting lanes. I do not clear cut the woods nor do I believe like many others do that cutting shooting lanes cause deer to panic. If there is a buck out there which can remember every broken branch, falling leave in the woods he is already smarted than me.

I believe it is very important not to leave ones scent behind while trimming and to carry the debris away from the shooting area or place them to block trails you do not want the buck to travel. Keeping some debris the buck has to walk behind is an asset to drawing the string unseen.

If using a ladder stand (Seldom) I can carry more, but only what is needed.

For all day hunts normally I carry a tree stand, bow and a backpack. The pack generally contains:

A head light and one small hand light.
2 calls.
Wind detection items.
License, latex gloves, and a zip tie zipped in a flap of the pack never to be opened until needed.
A spare ATV key and Vehicle key penned to the inside of the pack.
Safe T vest cold weather or harness warmer weather and tree belt. I often use a tree belt which has a metal band inside and can easly be slid up or down the tree while climbing.
1 flask or bottle of water. I prefer the flask which does not make cracking sounds when expanding or retracting.
3 protein bars.
Range finder.
Two pull ropes.
A small lighter-never used yet in decades of hunting.
My compound bow holder is attached to the platform of my tree stand.
My backpack has a snap clamp to attach to my carried tree stand and then my tree belt to be held in place on the back side of my tree so I do not waist time and energy screwing something in to a tree or forgetting to remove it from the tree, thus not having one the next morning at a new location.

However as well covered above I believe being in shape and keeping one body weight in line is a huge asset for carrying needed gear long and short distances. Take off that extra 15 lbs and carry 10 Lbs. more into the woods....make sense?

A 73 I work out 3 days a week 70 minutes a day with weights, if I can do it all you younger fellows can stay in shape even with 20 minutes a day or so.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page