Mathews sight question. - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 06:52 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Lowering your anchor point and raising your peep sight will cause you to raise your sight housing and will solve the problem. I would start by lowering your arrow rest to center arrow with berger button hole, with your rest in the down position you only need a credit card gap or so from hitting riser. Next I would get rid of the nock sets above the arrow and just nock the arrow inside the D-loop.
curverbowruss likes this.

The older I get the better I was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by curverbowruss View Post
One thing to look at is your peep sight, and your anchor. The sight looks right to me. I used to mess with Mathews bows, and nver had this issue. They usually tuned closer to the riser than other bows, but with sights I never had this issue. I have encountered this with some folks, and the issue was the peep, and "D" loop, or nock point. Your regular form you are used to may not go well with this bow--I've seen this before too.
I agree though that you should not have your sight all the way down like that. I always tell folks when sighting in--chase the arrow when moving the sight.
Thanks I was wondering about my anchor. I've always anchored high, I guess it's from shooting with fingers back in the day.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa.Bone View Post
Lowering your anchor point and raising your peep sight will cause you to raise your sight housing and will solve the problem. I would start by lowering your arrow rest to center arrow with berger button hole, with your rest in the down position you only need a credit card gap or so from hitting riser. Next I would get rid of the nock sets above the arrow and just nock the arrow inside the D-loop.
Thank you. I think I agree with all you said, especially the way they have the loop. I never did like it, but this bow shoots so good, I didn't argue it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 09:27 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa.Bone View Post
I know in the past when switching to a new bow that form that we are used to can be difficult on the new bow.
I know its tough to change things in that aspect, but if the bow itself--sight, rest, and simple tuning seem spot on then we know something else is going on. It gets hard when we have to begin a process of making a bow fit us.
Changing your anchor, peep sight, and such can quickly lead you to issues where you have to teach yourself new technique/form. I hate to say this, but some folks even get frustrated enough they get rid of the bow. For most folks like myself finances do not allow for such a major change like that. So--what to do?
I honestly believe by looking at things like Pa. Bone suggested will help you.
I truly hope you get this worked out.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks for all of the suggestions and yes it is frustrating. I'm going to redo the loop like normal. That alone should raise my peep up 1/2" or so. I didn't want to change anything now in case it would throw my form way off. But I was able to tag out today thanks to this sight. I gotta admit, i was hesitant on a single pin sight at first, but I'm glad i got one now. I had a small hole to shoot thru at an in between range of 26yds. There was no guessing with where to hold. I'll keep everyone posted on how I make out with this.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Just to update, I redid the loop, which did raise the peep up. I havent retuned it yet, but I am hitting 6 inches high at 20 now. Once I check the tune that should raise the sight up a lot. Things are at least heading in the right direction. Thank you all that has helped, I hope this will help others that may run into this in the future.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Here's the final outcome. I spent the last week adjusting to a lower anchor and set the peep for that. I gained another half of an inch on peep height. Here's pics of where the sight adjusts to now at 20, and the clearance at 60. Looks a lot better. I think I need a longer draw module if I want to gain any more as anchoring lower is pushing the limits on this draw length. All I need to do now is get rid of the nock pinch and I'm good to go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181013_171138_1539465546542.jpg (662.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 20181013_171344_1539465569731.jpg (783.8 KB, 2 views)
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 10:31 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I've never had to change my anchor ever when going from one bow to another.
When setting up a new bow, first thing you do is set the rest so your arrow passes thru the CENTER of the rest mounting hole. Adjust your "centershot" by eyeballing or with a gauge.
Next, tie in your loop so arrow is approx. 1/8" nock high. Your nock goes between the two knots of your loop (no pinching).
Put your sight on and set a 20 yard pin.
Shoot 50-100 arrows to break in string.
Put on peep.
Start tuning process. Paper and/or walk back. I like both.
Adjust your right and left with slight rest adjustments.
Adjust your up and down by twisting your D-loop up or down your string as needed to get perfect arrow flight.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 08:31 AM
Frequent Contributor

In the hunting industry there are things that have moved us forward when it comes to technology, and then there will always be those items that promise a shorter, better, and easier way to get to the end result.
I am reminded of the famed Aldo Leopold. In a 1943 essay "Wildlife in American Culture" he wrote:
"Then came the gadgeteer, otherwise known as the sporting-goods dealer. He has draped the American outdoors man with an infinity of contraptions, all offered as aids to self-reliance, hardihood, woodcraft, or marksmanship, but too often functioning as substitutes for them."
It's human nature to want an easier path, and not just in the hunting world, but in many aspects of our lives. When it comes to hunting however many opt to fore-go the journey that was once hunting all for a promise of the end result.
The amount of items-'gadgets" out there in today's hunting world is amazing. When I see, or look at much of this stuff I tell myself--I'm in the wrong line of business.
There is in fact an easier way to success--at least when it comes to making money--make, and market a product--all in the name of easier, better, faster, and convince the public it's a must have, and watch the money roll in.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 09:17 AM
Frequent Contributor

OOPPS---MODS----I'm sorry. This response was supposed to be in the "HECS" hunting suit thread--sorry.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page