Need a new headlamp? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Need a new headlamp?

Why should I buy one that has red and green lights along with clear? Saw one at gander with all 3 colors, anyone have any preferences
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 08:11 AM

It depends on what you want it for.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 08:50 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by saylor23 View Post
Why should I buy one that has red and green lights along with clear? Saw one at gander with all 3 colors, anyone have any preferences

The red and green lights help to reduce the spooking of game while walking through the woods. Red lights also help with your night vision and don't blind you when you transition from one to the next.
Pahack likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 09:08 AM
Part of the Community

I have a headlamp that has a red light on it. (Energizer I think) I only use the white light though. I have a really hard time with only the red light.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 02:05 PM
Frequent Contributor

I bought a petzel. I had a few over the years. I was sick of buying batteries that cost more then the head lamp. So I bought one that runs on two basic triple a's. I keep two as back up's in my pack so I am always good. Also it has 3 modes. Bright, dim and a strobe.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 04:08 PM

I like the red and green for general navigation to and from stands.
The white light comes in handy for any night time chores or processing game where I am not concerned with being seen.
Born2Hunt likes this.

LIVE TO HUNT - HUNT TO LIVE
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING AND PRESERVE THE SPORT
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 12:56 PM
Part of the Community

Like people have said, red or green is great for getting to your spot in the morning. Not only will it spook less game but it won't affect your eyesight and it'll save precious battery life for when you need to follow a blood trail or field dress something at night. Definitely worth it.

One more thing: if you can get a headlamp with a lock or hold button that prevents the lamp from turning on while it gets shuffled around your pack or pocket you should do it.

Non est inquirendum, unde venit venison.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 11:55 PM
New Arrival

Streamlight Buckmaster. You can get one from Gander for under $30. Two levels of green and then a pretty good regular light. I walk 2 tracks with the white light. I change to green when dropping down trails to my stands. The low level green is great for climbing and getting situated in the stand.
curverbowruss likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 07:28 AM
Frequent Contributor

I too like the Streamlight Buckmaster, but currently haven't been using a headlamp for hunting. I also like the Black Diamond lights with the red, and clean white light. Any decent light that uses practical batteries such as "AA", or "AAA" will work as long as you can adjust brightness, and perhaps have a green, or red light so as not to ruin your night vision, and spook game.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 06:37 PM
Regular Visitor

Send a message via AIM to Outdoor's Crazy Send a message via MSN to Outdoor's Crazy
If it's not too late , the best headlamp I've owned for hunting is my XK Glow. Its green in color. The selling points are that it's rechargeable and the ability to narrow (for distance) or widen the beam. With the most powerful setting and a narrow beam, I can light up a deer at 100 yrs. I was skeptical of the light at first b/c I had never heard of this brand of light. On my 3rd season and going strong. Even comes with a car charger so you can charge to and from hunting. Good luck hunting .
wis bang likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in