Release aids - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Release aids

What release aids do you guys use? I have a Scott Mongoose index finger release. I've never tried or used any other but am curious with all the options out there what other release I might benefit from. Main purposes are hunting and target. Any suggestions? Will a pro-shop let you try a new release before you buy? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 06:27 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Carter Chocolate Lite
Hittingguru likes this.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 06:41 PM
Sage

I don't know where you are from but we have two big time archery shops where I live and they will let you try out equipment before you buy, any pro shop should do that.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 08:20 PM

For several years after i switched from fingers i used a winn free flight. It has a glove type thing that straps around your hand allowing you to pull with your whole hand. While i liked that the actual release was kinda crude and i didn't really like that. I took a scott rhino xt and attached it to the winn glove thing and now have a hybrid release that i like very much.

Pence/Putin 2024
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 08:31 PM

A Carter Insatible 2 4 Finger release and a Nock To It 2 Finger (Its a Carter). Once you master a high quality thumb release, you won't go back!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 08:32 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

I use a Spot Hogg Wise Guy, but I've been trying out a 3-finger TruFire (don't recall the model) I got used for cheap a bit ago.

I can see the merit to a 3-finger, although I'm not making the change now at this point.

The pro shop I go to has gizmo with a wire you hook up to and pull back like a bow, but when you release, it is a slow rewind so things don't "snap" when you let go. They laid out every release I wanted to try and let me do that till I was content on my choice. I'm sure I could have taken them outside and shot my bow with them, too, had I wished.

Biggest thing is to focus on form and proper release use. An index finger release isn't as simple as "pull the trigger".
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 08:35 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellodog View Post
For several years after i switched from fingers i used a winn free flight. It has a glove type thing that straps around your hand allowing you to pull with your whole hand. While i liked that the actual release was kinda crude and i didn't really like that. I took a scott rhino xt and attached it to the winn glove thing and now have a hybrid release that i like very much.

The first release I had was a free flight. They were pretty popular in my area back in the day(80's). I used that release for over 10 years, and when it was time to retire it, I bought a NAP index finger release. It took me a while to get used to, but once I did I really liked it. You are correct in saying the Winn releases were kinda' crude.

At one point early on in the time using the NAP I injured my index finger and switched to using my middle finger. It took quite some time for this injury to heal, and by the time it did I had gotten so comfortable using my middle finger to trigger, I continue that style to this day. Ive been using that release for nearly 20 years now.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 08:36 PM

I also shoot a glove style release that was made by tru ball. I feel like i have a lot more leverage pulling back with my hand. I bought it in 2005, and other than the free flight, I have not seen any other glove style releases. Its a little worn but its still going strong after 13 years.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 04:19 PM
Part of the Community

I have a Carter 'Like Mike.' I've used the Spot Hogg Wise Guy also. Both are fantastic releases, but are basically two ends of the spectrum as far as trigger sensitivity. I like a heavy trigger that I can put some pressure on as I pull thru the shot.
Pahack likes this.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 08:12 PM
The Man

I shoot a Stan Black Jack hinge release, and a Stan SX2 thumb button.

I have started shooting substantially better after switching to the hinge. I hunt with it now
RayRay likes this.

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page