Have to admit, I was wrong - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
tdd
Super Moderator

Have to admit, I was wrong

So, I've written before about my 2009 Bowtech Captain. I love that bow, and it had an unfortunate incident in the 2016 bow season that required it to be relimbed.

Bowtech handled it, even though it was 100% my fault. Not knowing how long I was going to be out a bow, though, I bought a 2016 Hoyt Defiant.

At the time, I felt it wasn't QUITE as quiet nor smooth as my Bowtech but was close.

Today I finally get around to rigging up the Bowtech. I moved the Ripcord that was on the Hoyt and had originally been on the Bowtech back to the Bowtech. Put an HHA sight on it that I got used from the classifieds here. New B-Stinger 8" stabilizer. Also decided my 2009 era Cobra release was due for an upgrade, and got a Spot Hogg Wiseguy. I put an HHA Virtus rest on the Hoyt. Side bar.....I like this rest a lot.

So....out to the back yard I go...both bows ready to start tuning and allen wrenches in my pocket.

Shot the Hoyt, this one was easy, because the rest was just adjusted to the same setting as my Ripcord had been. Sure enough, it was bang on.

Went to the Bowtech and shot it for the first time in 2 years and promptly realized my memory had fooled me.

Having shot both bows literally one after the other, I realized that the Hoyt is smoother, quieter, and faster. Significantly so.

But in mind, the Bowtech was the smoother, quieter bow, and the Hoyt was only marginally faster.

In reality, the Hoyt is noticeably smoother, quieter, has less vibration, and is faster.

Funny how that works.
Pa.Bone, SlickShot and Six-Gun like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 06:58 AM

Welcome to the Hoyt family tdd , you won`t be disappointed.....

If you don`t stand behind our Troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them....
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
tdd
Super Moderator

So far, my Defiant has killed two bucks (one in each season I've hunted with it), and I'm liking it a lot going into the third season!

Come November, I always grumble that I didn't spring for the carbon riser, but other than that, I have no regrets at all on the Hoyt!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 10:11 AM

After shooting a High Country bow for close to 15yrs with not much success ( 3 Bucks ) and a few blood trails lost. I purchased my Hoyt back in 2015 and have harvested a nice buck every year since I got it. What a difference having a compound that you like to shoot and have the confidence in when it comes down to that one all important shot come November. The very best of luck to you again this season.....

If you don`t stand behind our Troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them....
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 06:35 PM

I had a pse vendetta xl that i loved. 10 bucks, 3 bears, some turkeys, and my first bow killed coyote in the 5 years i hunted with it. I shot it indoors with my hunting sight, rest, stabilizer, and arrows, usually between 575 and 580. Dry fired it about midway thru the '16 season, bent cams, cracked a limb, ect, so i decided to get a new bow last summer.

Got a bowtech bt mag cus the draw was so smooth. Only deer i shot at was about 3 yds so it didn't get much of a test on deer. But i shot it indoors last winter with all my hunting stuff, just like my pse. But my average was up 5 points with this bow, no other changes. That might not seem like much, but my average was always the same in the 5 years i shot the pse, this bow raised it instanty.

Btw, after i blew up the pse, i hunted with another pse i used to use, called a dakota, which i got in '04. I could hardly draw it now and it sounded like a car door slamming when i shot it. Wonder how i ever got anything with that bow, but i averaged 2 bucks a year with it too, and it thought it was great at the time.

Pence/Putin 2024
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
tdd
Super Moderator

This was shot at 50 yards with the Hoyt today.

And I knew I nudged the one to the left when I let it go.

Canít blame the bow if I miss!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 411705A0-C7BC-4CCA-A6F3-4FE3DDA01938.jpeg (779.9 KB, 9 views)
Pahack and SlickShot like this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 03:28 PM
dce
Sage

Last year I bought into the Elite hype and bought an impulse.I tried hard to like it but I hated the hump at the end of the draw cycle and way it balanced with a quiver on.I killed a doe with it on the first day and then sold it to my buddy and went back to my old carbon spyder.No reason to fix something that isn't broken.
SlickShot likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 07:18 PM

My Defiant 34 is my baby... 4 deer down so far, all one shot double lungers. Welcome to the Hoyt family!
SlickShot likes this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 08:28 AM

C'mon Man ! Didn't "The Fonz" teach you anything ? You weren't WRONG. You were wr.....wr........wr..........

2A-Wash. Co.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 10:02 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleroo View Post
C'mon Man ! Didn't "The Fonz" teach you anything ? You weren't WRONG. You were wr.....wr........wr..........

I was wrong once... I thought I'd made an error... but I hadn't.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page