Bow Failures - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Bow Failures

Since things aren't too busy on the boards right now I thought this might be a good time to ask : Have you ever experienced a catastrophic bow failure ? In 41 years of hunting I've had two (well one was on the range).

In the 90's I had a Mountaineer bow. Nice bow, machined aluminum riser. In its third season of use , while on the practice range, the riser broke in half while at half draw. A loud noise and I was standing there with the top half of my bow dangling at my feet. This happened so fast I initially didn't realize what had happened. Upon close examination of the riser I could see a small pock mark on each section of riser. When the riser halves were matched together the pock marks formed a bubble. This bubble must have formed when the original aluminum stock was formed. That riser was an accident waiting to happen since the day it was machined. Mountaineer replaced the riser, no charge.

Fast forward a few years. I was in my first Lone Wolf climber for the very first hunting trip using that stand. Had my one year old Hoyt Havotech. A doe was standing at 15 yards. I drew and settled the pin in the sweet spot just behind the shoulder. Release, loud noise, see the arrow hit the deer in the neck, deer runs 15 yards and drops and dies. As I look down at my bow I notice the bow is unstrung and the cam is bent. I also see a nick on the tree stand where the cam had barely nicked the tree stand. I was lucky to hit that deer with such a lethal hit. Luckier yet I didn't wound it.
That one cost me about $100.00. Lesson here: always be aware of where your bow is in relation to your tree stand (or anything else that could interfere).
Pahack likes this.

Last edited by simoncool; 01-28-2018 at 09:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 09:55 PM

Twice.

First time it was a Pearson hunter classic. Steel cables with teardrop that you hooked the loops of the string to. About halfway thru a 600 round the top teardrop came off the cable as I was drawing, cut my wrist and gave me a big welt across my face, lucky I didn't loose an eye.

Second time was oct 28 of '16. I always draw my bow with my fingers before I leave the house or truck just to make sure everything's ok. That afternoon I did that, but for some unknown reason I decided that my peep wasn't aligned so i let it rotate a little by letting the string roll down my fingers just a little..BANG! What makes a guy do something that stoopid?

Pence/Putin 2024
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yeah, i remember those tear drops and some of the ridiculously complicated cables the old bows had. I'm glad you weren't hurt too bad. I thought the same thing about losing an eye when my riser broke.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 09:42 AM

That bow was new enough that it didn't have all those extra pulleys and wheels, but old enough that it did still use metal cables. Got it in '86 iirc, but it only went to 66# so i didn't use it to hunt with much, thought of it as a girls bow. Shot it indoors and with fingers i shot mid 590's with it. Used to take it to a meat shoot where they gave hams, steaks, roasts, ect, for the winner each round. Kids ate pretty good that winter till they changed the rules and you could only win 2 rounds per night.

Pence/Putin 2024
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 09:45 AM

I fortunately havenít had one myself but Iíve witnessed two. A buddy was shooting his Mathews Helium when it had a cam failure. Upon release the bow basically exploded in his hand. It was forceful enough to shoot half of the cam over his house into his front yard.
The second was last winter at an indoor range. Guy was holding at full draw with his new Bowtech bow. The top limb cracked apart, what a sound that was inside. Sounded like a .22 shot going off.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 05:37 PM

1990, target shooting in the backyard, new Martin Lynx compound, pulled back and heard a crack, bow sounded like a 22 going off, limb split where the flite wheels and axle attached, was a problem for Martin back then on the Lynx. Had a bloody nose and lip and cables wrapped around my neck. After it was over, the neighbor came over and handed me one of the ball bearings that the limbs pivot on, that had ended up on his porch about 20 yards away. Martin replaced the whole bow at no cost. I always think of the consequences had it happened in a treestand.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem760 View Post
1990, target shooting in the backyard, new Martin Lynx compound, pulled back and heard a crack, bow sounded like a 22 going off, limb split where the flite wheels and axle attached, was a problem for Martin back then on the Lynx. Had a bloody nose and lip and cables wrapped around my neck. After it was over, the neighbor came over and handed me one of the ball bearings that the limbs pivot on, that had ended up on his porch about 20 yards away. Martin replaced the whole bow at no cost. I always think of the consequences had it happened in a treestand.
Well it seems we can all agree that when a bow flies apart the noise it makes is akin to a .22 shot.

If that would have been in a tree stand in 1990, I bet there is a good chance you wouldn't have been wearing a fall restraint. If you were it's a good chance it would have been a belt and not a harness. I know I didn't start wearing a harness until the late 90's. I feel naked in the woods without one now.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 07:08 PM

No bad failures yet. I did nick the heck out of the bottom cam, trying to shoot an eight point walking around under me. I think I was still using my TSS climber back then. The noise scared me more then the damage to the bow. I missed the deer too.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 07:35 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I changed the modules on my son's Elite Impulse and took it out of the press and laid it down on my work bench. A few minutes later I picked it up and pulled it back and it sounded like it exploded. As soon as it happened I realized my stupid mistake, I never put the limb stops back on the cams. Nothing I couldn't fix in the press, but like I told my son i'm glad I didn't do that to my bow.
simoncool likes this.

The older I get the better I was.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 12:39 PM

While working in the local bow shop several years ago I had just put new string and cables on a customers bow, one identical to the one I owned. Pulled it back to check timing and a new cable let loose! Top limb came down and the idler wheel hit me and broke a finger! We managed to find all the parts and get it put back together!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page