stabalizer - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Pa.Bone
  • 1 Post By yellodog

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

stabalizer

I have tried using a few different stabilizers dozens of times on and off and kept track of my group size and not one bit of improvement so in my opinion they serve no purpose in a hunting environment except to add weight, Your thought on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 11:39 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

A stabilizer on a hunting bow if nothing else will help dampen noise and vibration. I have a 10 inch long hoyt vortex that is 20 years old. That stabilizer has been on 3 different bows and will probably be on any bow I ever hunt with. It's longer than most guys like for a hunting stabilizer, but I like it. It makes a great handle when carrying my bow through the woods. Try shooting your bow with and without the stabilizer and see if you can tell a difference in noise. If you use a bow quiver be sure you have quiver with arrows attatched
as many times a quiver will increase shot noise.

Last edited by simoncool; 01-24-2018 at 12:18 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 08:11 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I agree a stabilizer does a lot of things to help improve accuracy and dampen noise and vibration are only a few. A stabilizer also helps reduce bow torque and the longer the stab the more it helps reduce torque. They also will help balance your bow, a lot of hunters now are hunting with 10 or 12 inch stabilizers and adding shorter 8 inch back bars to counter balance sights and quivers. Stabilizers add weight to your bow also which can be a good thing, a heavier bow holds a lot steadier and tends to stay in place like a sumo wrestler. They do also make a nice handle for carrying your bow. For me I don't mind the extra weight of a stabilizer while hunting, I want to hunt with that bow that makes me feel like I can put an arrow anywhere I want when I need to.
simoncool likes this.

The older I get the better I was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 08:30 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Try fine tuning the stabilizer of your choice with more, or less weight screwed onto the tip. My personal experience has been improvement of groupings as I get closer to the ideal weight, which is that weight/stabilizer combination that produces the "steadiest" sight picture, or more accurately, reduction in pin drift from my point of aim. Has always worked for me. Hope that makes sense. Good luck.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 10:20 AM

I agree with the op, short hunting stabilizers don't do much. Reduce noise a little, they do make a convienant handle at times, but you'd probably be fine without one. Now moving up to a longer stabilizer would help, but at the cost of making your bow less manurevable in hunting situations.

I shoot my hunting bow in a dot league, Vegas faces not the big all blue ones. 62#'s, skinny carbon arrows, hha .019 slider, Sims 6" s-coil stabilizer, i shoot mid 580's. If I put on my long stabilizer, scope, and shoot fat arrows, i'll shoot low to mid 590's, mostly due to the fat arrows not the scope or stablilizer, although it is easier to shoot with those things on. So the small gain a much lomger stabilizer gives me is far outweighed by the convience a short stabilizer gives in hunting situstions.
Chaos USMC likes this.

Pence/Putin 2024
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 02:56 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have been trying different stabilizers this year, even a back bar. There is a lot of personal preference that factors in. I started getting by overall bow weight too high for a high letoff hunting bow. Whereas a low letoff target bow may have 2 lbs more total weight. I will say this, every competitive archer uses stabilizers. While getting the right fit for you may take some work, I bet you could find a setup that will improve your performance.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 03:02 PM
New Arrival

I have a 6 (I think) Dead Center stabilizer. When I went from shooting without to shooting with the stabilizer it brought my score up 10 points. Im definitely more accurate with it on paper.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 11:46 AM
Frequent Contributor

I switched to a Dead Center 8" stabilizer last year. It adds some weight and stability to my 30" Carbon Spyder.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page