Crossbow or Compound - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Crossbow or Compound

My father asked me this question. Which has a better resale value, a crossbow or compound? He has owned several Mathews over the years and they all dropped at least 50% value in 2 years. But he is noticing crossbows selling at or slightly below what they bought them for.

He is going to buy a crossbow because of this. Is it true that crossbows really do hold their value that much better than a compound?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 11:28 AM
RB
Sage

Re: Crossbow or Compound

Spur, I think that is true right now...but as the crossbow market and offerings grow it will likely begin to decrease the used value. But the wide scale crossbow offerings are limited enough now that a couple year old crossbows are still go for what i would say is "discounted new" pricing.

Used compound values do stink...that is why i never sold the 3 I have. No real vaule in parting with them in case the kids want them or something, other than making some space. The market has so many brands, models, and new models released annually...that 5 year old bow is really lost its value, let alone a 10 year old one like I have.

My .02

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 11:29 AM
The Man

How long did he own those matthews? Age has much to do with value, crossbows for the most part are fairly new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 11:35 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

Keep in mind that the innovation we see on compounds is just starting to occur on crossbows. Until recently, crossbows weren't worth really researching and developing, since there wasn't any significant market. As more states legalize the use of the crossbow, you're already seeing new models, new developments, and expanded options.

As the trend of "lastest and greatest" develops, you'll see crossbows go the same route as the vertical bows.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 01:15 PM
The Man

Re: Crossbow or Compound - Value

In the end, compound bows and crossbows won't hold the value. It's the nature of old stuff to have less value than new stuff. And they have different markets, which affect them differently.

One should hunt with what one values to use. I wouldn't hunt with a crossbow, even in a legal mixed season, when I could shoot an already shootable, by me, compound bow. Don't dispute some hunters have to use a crossbow, for them, over a compound bow. So it's not all the same for each hunter.

Value is also determined by useable time. I remember I never invested in a bow, because one deer was the PA limit, and I wanted always to hunt the more traditional gun season. And would the value of used bows and crossbows increase if a hunting season for their use, was decreased from four to two weeks. The item wouldn't change, but the hunting season change would affect prices.

I used three hunting rifles, successfully, for over 35 years. I've used two compound bows for use in 15 years.
Cost had little to do with the value to me.
Change a rifle or bow every year, and you'll never get your value, unless you are a full time hunter or professional.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 12:26 AM

Re: Crossbow or Compound - Value

I just can't wait to see who is going to offer there xbow first, Hoyt or mathews? Although a crossbow with a Hoyt tech riser would look pretty awsome

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page