Rust on my Bow - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Rust on my Bow

After hunting in the rain a few times this year, I noticed that some of the screws on my bow have a little bit of rust on them. What is the best way to get rid of the rust? Should I just use gun oil, or is there a better product.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 12:22 PM
The Man

Re: Rust on my Bow

I would have used WD 40. Then wipe it out, a while later.

Of course, I used it previously on a flintlock rifle, the stuck tire bolts during a PA snow storm and frozen house and auto door locks. It displaces water.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 12:30 PM
Frequent Contributor

I just purchased a used bow and have same issue. I am thinking some wd40 to clean them up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 04:52 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

WD40 does the trick. Every time I was out in rain this year, I let the bow dry, and if any hint of rust was found on the screws, I sprayed them, wiped off the excess and let it dry. The bolts all look like new.

If you let them sit rusting for a length of time, though, you won't get them completely free of it again.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 11:59 PM
The Man

another thing to think about and I just got done doin it before I put my bow away is to apply mineral oil to the axels.

My dad has always done it and has gotten me into the habit of it. After I put it on with an eye drop I put the bow back several times to work it in

2F for a while...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 12:03 AM

I am not trying to be smart here, but why not just replace the bolts? You can upgrade all of your hardware to something with a rust resistant coating for about the same price as a couple cans of WD-40.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 12:06 AM
The Man

he could. But its preventative maintenance so you dont have to worry about replacing parts

2F for a while...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 12:55 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox_Hunter
I am not trying to be smart here, but why not just replace the bolts? You can upgrade all of your hardware to something with a rust resistant coating for about the same price as a couple cans of WD-40.
You could, but it will take longer than the lifetime of a hunting bow (even for people who use one forever) for most people to use even a can just for that purpose. I can't imagine I'd go through a can of WD-40 for rust prevention on bolts on my bow in less than 10 years, but it would probably be much longer than that. The quantity needed is so small.

I use it to clean my rifles, too, and for various household uses, and I don't buy a can more often than maybe every 3-5 years anyway.

Replacing bolts will surely work...just depends on which you prefer to do. Of course, you probably won't be replacing your limb bolts, which will rust, too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page