Fletch Setup - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Fletch Setup

Ok ... I'm sure I am not the first on this topic ... Please hear me out I just want to educate my self being a new Bow Hunter ... Is Helical Fletching just for getter Fixed Broad head flight tuned? ... or does it help with over all stablization with any tip? ... Also can you only set it up on 4inch Fletching or will Blazers work with it also? ... And the bottom line ... Is it just hype???

Paddle Faster ... I hear Banjo Music!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 01:37 PM

Re: Fletch Setup

https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbt...58#Post1429058
you may want to read this
I am usung a blitz jig set up with a straight clamp for 4" vanes or feathers
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 03:06 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Helical fletching is better for overall stability. It creates more spin, and more drag, which helps the arrow recover faster out of the bow. Using feathers, in a helical fletch setup, is much more forgiving than using vanes, as well as lighter. However, they dont perform well in wet weather. Helical fletching will also create some more noise. It is possible to use blazer vanes in a helical setup, and if you are not using a whisker biscuit, I highly recommend trying it. You should NOT shoot any helical setup thru the biscuit. It is doable, however, it really slows the arrow, and really increases wear on both the vanes and the biscuit. Another option is to try some quikspin vanes. They have a small tab on each vane that creates a helical effect, while fletching them straight. If you are shooting a fixed blade broadhead, and a dropaway, or prong style rest, give some sort of helical setup a try, I have a feeling you will really like a helical blazer setup.

Visit us in Harrisburg Booth 908 in the Archery Hall http://www.therackpacker.com Code:HUNTINGPA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 08:58 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootbowtech
Helical fletching is better for overall stability. It creates more spin, and more drag, which helps the arrow recover faster out of the bow. Using feathers, in a helical fletch setup, is much more forgiving than using vanes, as well as lighter. However, they dont perform well in wet weather. Helical fletching will also create some more noise. It is possible to use blazer vanes in a helical setup, and if you are not using a whisker biscuit, I highly recommend trying it. You should NOT shoot any helical setup thru the biscuit. It is doable, however, it really slows the arrow, and really increases wear on both the vanes and the biscuit. Another option is to try some quikspin vanes. They have a small tab on each vane that creates a helical effect, while fletching them straight. If you are shooting a fixed blade broadhead, and a dropaway, or prong style rest, give some sort of helical setup a try, I have a feeling you will really like a helical blazer setup.
I agree with everything he said. But I see no different with straight or helical out of my WB rest. I think the speed loss is so minuscule. As far as wear, well, I shot hundreds of shot through mine, no wear at all! Being that Blazers are so much shorter, the speed loss is next to nothing. Now if somebody has a crono, I would like to test this out.

John-LifeNRA http://www.NRA.org
YOU NEVER KNOW! Words from my Father!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 09:14 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

When I said shooting helicals through a WB, Im talking a full length vane. A helical fletched blazer is barely helical at all, and thus would have very little effect on speed loss. As far as speed loss goes, somewhere in the 4-5 fps range is about right for helical blazers as opposed to straight ones.

Visit us in Harrisburg Booth 908 in the Archery Hall http://www.therackpacker.com Code:HUNTINGPA
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 11:21 PM
Part of the Community

when i made arrows for my neighbors son. i put four inch feathers at 2 degree offset and the wb rest ate them alive. my self i shoot blazers a 4 degree helical thru a q.a.d fall away and the results are great
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 12:11 PM

I can attest first hand a helicle through a WB ruins down range accuracy
I fltch slight offset for target(diving board) and straight for WB hunting
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 06:52 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitz8500
I can attest first hand a helicle through a WB ruins down range accuracy
I fltch slight offset for target(diving board) and straight for WB hunting
Well of course it will, when your using four inch or more vanes! But Blazers work just fine out to 40 yards.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 06:53 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootbowtech
When I said shooting helicals through a WB, Im talking a full length vane. A helical fletched blazer is barely helical at all, and thus would have very little effect on speed loss. As far as speed loss goes, somewhere in the 4-5 fps range is about right for helical blazers as opposed to straight ones.
Cool, so I take it you shot these through a crono already?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page