Lighted nocks - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Lighted nocks

I've never used a lighted nock because it was my understanding that they add weight, and I'd have to site my bow in before I hunt based on the added weight causing the arrows to sink more. I talked to a guy who said the ones being made now add a very minimal amount of weight and you don't have to adjust your sites. Is this true? Any recommendations on the brand to get?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 02:30 AM

Everything that has mass has weight. A Hummingbirds feather has weight. Try Lumanocs.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsdad View Post
Everything that has mass has weight. A Hummingbirds feather has weight. Try Lumanocs.
True. I'm just trying to find lighted nocks that don't weigh much more than a traditional nock. I'll check out luminocks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 08:11 AM
Regular Visitor

I shoot Nockturnal's. I shoot a PSE Decree Ti and they did not make a difference out to 30 yards. My buddies shoots a Hoyt Defiant and his arrows dropped 3" at 30 yards. He also shoots different arrows than I do.

Regardless, any changes to an arrow you really need to see what it does. Change in broadhead, different nocks, different fletching, etc. Having 100% confidence in your setup is priceless.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 08:19 AM

My practice arrows and bolts I shoot don't have the lighted noks but my hunting arrows/bolts do. I see really no differance in point of impact if I alternate the two, and I have shot both side by side. I have lumenoks and nokturnals.
stackbarrel likes this.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 09:34 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

Last time I shot, the evening before Saturday's opener, I shot to verify everything at 20, 30, and 40. One FP, one BH. BH arrow had a Nockturnal, FP arrow had a regular nock.

All hit side by side. At 40, I think they were 1" apart, give or take. If someone can shoot well enough to know if that's the nock doing it, I am in awe of their talent with a bow. Both were centered in the 10-ring on my 3D deer, FP hit about a half inch or so left of my aim point, BH hit about the same to the right of it. I'm pretty sure my sight pin subtends more area than the span between those shafts.

I get it....any change likely has SOME impact on the way things are flying, but when they hit like that at 40, I can't see this being an issue for a hunter.

I'm shooting a Hoyt Defiant at about 63lbs, 29", 28.5" Easton FMJ 340's, 2" fusion fletching, and 100gr points. BH is a 100gr 3-blade Muzzy. Plain jane, old school Muzzy heads.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 12:25 PM

The difference in weight between some of the commonly used nocks and the lit ones is in the 10 gr. range and probably won't make a noticeable difference at most hunting ranges but I would shoot just to make sure! Also, my friend ran into an issue where the lit nock was smaller and didn't fill the gap in his string loop and were not as tight on the serving which caused some problems.
stackbarrel likes this.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 07:44 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd View Post
If someone can shoot well enough to know if that's the nock doing it, I am in awe of their talent with a bow.

THIS. I think that lighted nocks are one of the best things to come along for the archery hunter, IMHO. I've been using Nockturnals for about five years now and LOVE them. The difference between my regular nock and the lighted nock is 7 gr.

I only wish I was good enough to tell the difference between a 435 gr. arrow and a 428 gr. arrow. They both hit the bullseye at 40 yards.
stackbarrel likes this.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 09:36 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asajoe1 View Post
Also, my friend ran into an issue where the lit nock was smaller and didn't fill the gap in his string loop and were not as tight on the serving which caused some problems.
I believe this is the most common problem for those who have tuning issues with lighted nocks. Weight more than likely gets the blame though.
stackbarrel likes this.

Iím a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 08:06 AM
Regular Visitor

I shoot Gold Tip arrows with Nockturnals and last year I shot a doe early in the season. When the arrow hit the deer I thought something looked odd on impact, the lighted knocked never disappeared like it went through the deer. When I got down the knock came out of the arrow on impact of the deer. Arrow had a complete pass through but the nock on impact came out of the arrow and never went into or through the deer. I emailed them and they told me to put a little super glue to hold it in place, hahaha. Not sure if I'll ever get them out now, lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page