Why do you shoot what arrows/broadheads you do???? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Send a message via AIM to jlh42581
Why do you shoot what arrows/broadheads you do????

Im just wondering how many guys actually take the time to sit down and figure out how many grains per inch they are shooting and total arrow weight. Most guys throw on 100 grain broadheads on X arrow because thats all they know.

If some guys took the time to calculate what they are shooting in arrow grains they would realize that theyre shooting an arrow that is enough for africa big game. when it boils down to a head weight choice, vanes, knocks and actual arrow shaft some situations you can shoot an arrow which appears identical but is over weight by much more than necessary.

Not all arrow shafts are created equal, dont just throw a 100 grain head on your arrow cause your buddy did. Figure out what you NEED with a correct spine. All the time we hear SPEED SPEED SPEED, KE KE KE... well... you can see massive gains in speed by controlling how much arrow you sling.

I myself was guilty of this until i started building my own arrows.

I can show you two arrows, one which will kill a buffalo and produce about 250fps and one which is more than enough for a whitetail shoot 280fps by a change in head size/vanes/arrow shaft.

Watch your weight!

What I say might not be the popular trend but at least Im not afraid to speak my mind!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 03:40 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Why do you shoot what arrows/broadheads you do????

I shoot a 350 gr. arrow at 311 fps at about 70 ke to gain another 5 lbs of ke a would have to drop my arrow speed to 200 fps with a 650 gr. arrow. The only way a gain any big gain in ke is to up your poundage
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Send a message via AIM to jlh42581

Kinda what I was saying, it was more along the lines of you can gain speed without a huge loss in KE. Most manufactures of arrows make similar diameter arrows or similar size cut shafts which vary in weight grately.

A carbon express maxima shaft is about 7.4 gpi while their economy arrow the terminator is coming in about 9.9 gpi... 2.5 gpi makes a big difference when multiplied by 28-30+ . Most broadheads are around a 1 to 1.5" cut for 100 grains while an 85 is usually the same size.

No one ever tries to solve speed problems with correcting the arrows. Its always run out and buy a faster bow. You might have a fast bow and could be really throwing it in the gutter.

You can get away with prob shooting about any combo you want out of your bow. Most guys cant.

What I say might not be the popular trend but at least Im not afraid to speak my mind!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 11:08 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I shoot Gold Tip 22 series. I get 7.3 gr./inch, use a 100 grain tip, with blazers and wrap. My arrows weigh in at 375-378. I get 275 out of my Hoyt AM32 at 63 pounds and 27.5 draw.

Wishing I was at camp!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 01:26 AM
Frequent Contributor

I used The Archery Program to design my arrows. I've got the older original Easton Epics cut down for my 26 3/4" draw with 85gr Slick Tricks. I believe they come in at about 352gr. with wraps and blazers. Shot out of my LX at 64 lbs., they have are heavy enough to be quiet and efficient but fast enough to forgive range errors. TAP is a great way to learn about arrow selection and design by changing shaft length and point weight for a certain spined shaft to see how the calculated dynamic spine changes. Although I don't change arrows often it takes a lot of the guesswork out and prevents buying the wrong shafts and broadhead weights.

V

I don't always hunt with a bow, but when I do I prefer Mathews. Stay vertical, my friends.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 04:36 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Why do you shoot what arrows/broadheads you do

Gold Tip XT hunter 55/75(8.2 gpi-bare shaft weight is 230 grains) with 100 grain rocket steelheads, blazers, and 4" arrow wraps. Total weight is 385 grains. Shooting 328 fps from my pse xforce gx 7 @ 70# and 29.5". Creates 92 ft lbs of KE, and it still heavy enough to be very quiet coming out of the bow. I am moving to steelhead XLs, to have a little larger cutting diameter. I certainly have enough energy for any animal on this continent.

Visit us in Harrisburg Booth 908 in the Archery Hall http://www.therackpacker.com Code:HUNTINGPA
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 05:43 PM

I shoot 11.4 grains per pound out of my 46 lb longbow. It probably chugs along at 170 fps give or take. I wouldn't want to be hit with it. I shoot this combo because it's what I prefer. A well placed shot in the chest cavity makes for a dead critter. Dead is dead no matter how you slice it, No pun intended.

Sgt USMC '80-'87
>>>---->
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 03:31 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I also shoot over 10 grains per lb out of my 57 lb recurve. I shoot about a 580 grain arrow, at about 200 fps. A nice magnus stinger 2 blade on the front makes for great penetration.

Visit us in Harrisburg Booth 908 in the Archery Hall http://www.therackpacker.com Code:HUNTINGPA
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 11:37 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Send a message via AIM to Jim Picarelli Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Picarelli

I shoot Easton Legacy 2018's off my 52lb recurve.With a 125gr 2bl Stinger,it weighs in at 510gr
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 12:08 AM
Part of the Community

my setup is a easton fmr in 400"s at 29 inch's with 100 grain g5's at around 11.5 grains per inch. perfer a heavier arrow for more peneration over a light setup and more speed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page